The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Mayweather looked like absolute shit, it was very close, I think you could make a case for a draw, no way was that a 117-111 fight, that was a joke scorecard. 

Khan pulled off one of the better performances of his career against a 33 year old Collazo. I'm still going to take some convincing that Khan has the power and chin to hang with the big boys at 147 but you can't really fault his performance, despite him being visible hurt by a left hand in round 8.

In all fairness he was visible wobbled but he didn't lose his head like he normally does, I do agree though that when he gets in with the big boys he will more than likely struggle but I was quite impressed with him yesterday.

It was maidanas overhand right that was causing mayweather all the problems, I don't think he was expecting that from maidana at all. He did say before the fight that he was going to stand in front of him and fight but I don't think he was expecting that at all

Edited by leemond2008

Maidana's pressure and weird angles gave Maywaeather a lot of problems, Maidana also invested a lot into Mayweather's body early on. It begs the question as to how well Maidana would have done if he was allowed to wear his favored Everlast MX gloves...

Much closer than we've seen Mayweather to a defeat in a little while - I agree with Dr P on the scoring; there's no way it was a 117-111 fight and I think you can make a case for all three of the possible results. Mayweather looked confused at times, he was looking for the referee for help and it took him seven or eight rounds to find that bit of control that he's usually got by round two. That said, Mayweather still lands good punches, he's still hard to hit and he's still the man with the belt, he's got heart and he will find a way.

I thought Khan showed he has the movement to make himself a difficult opponent for anyone, but I'm not sure he can be more than that and dominate anything.

Broner did well I thought, after about the third or fourth round, he started to fight in a more orthodox way and looked a better boxer - he'll have a better career if he stops trying to be Floyd. And also if he never speaks in public again.

Three boxers against three aggressive fighters - Mayweather rode it out; Khan danced and moved out of the way, and Broner in the end was the only one of the three that pushed his man back.

Broner is still a grade A knob, you are right about him never speaking in public again, I still think he is a little flat footed and his defence isn't always as great as people make out but there is no doubt that he has a lot of potential.

A lot of people are saying that Khan would cause massive problems for mayweather now.

Just watched the khan and mayweather fights, was really impressed with Khan and his tactics, looks like Virgil Hunter has finally got through to him about not losing his head and brawling, he didn't really put a foot wrong in that fight. Definitely think he deserves the next shot at mayweather instead of a rematch.

Khan hasn't done anything to earn a Mayweather shot since his last three fights were not against genuine world class/top level opponents. I think he needs to at least bring a title with him in order to make the fight, or get some seriously credible wins at 147lbs against top 10 contenders, i.e. by beating the Porter vs Brook winner (for the IBF title) or by beating someone like Keith Thurman (which incidentally I don't think he would). 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Meh mayweather won the fight by 2 - 3 rounds. Dont want to see a rematch. Poor performance from floyd and a very good one from maidana. Im a big fan of maidana but other then the broner display this is a guy who lost every round to Devon alexander, was outboxed by khan until he clipped him, lost to kotelnik and was lucky to beat a well past it morales. He lost fair and square and doesnt deserve a rematch.

Khan isnt as 'shot' as I thought he was. Nightmare match up for mayweather. Khans volume of punches and speed is like no other opponent mayweather has faced in some time. Mayweather isnt a big hitter so doubt he would knock khan out. Dangerous fight for mayweather. Joke fight if it happens however still as khan certainly hasnt earnt it.

Id like to see danny garcia or keith thurman next for floyd. He'll beat garcia imo but I believe thurman is the 'next big thing' in boxing and should make it intresting. Porter is another potential opponent once he has knocked brook out. Pacman fight is never going to happen.

Mayweather has enough pop to keep his opponents honest though and in all fairness with khan that may be enough, the thing with khan is that he often attacks straight on, I think that maidana showed how to do it with the overhand right, it bypasses that massive shoulder that he uses for defence.

I still think he would have Khan but it would be interesting and the one thing that you have to say about khan is that he will always take the biggest fight he can get no matter how dangerous it is

Â