The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Quite a good heavyweight fight on tonight with Tony Thompson vs Odlanier Solis.

Solis is best known for his round one 'injury' against Vitali which resulted in a first round KO, but in actual fact he's immensely talented and looked very good in that first round. His main problem is his inability to stay away from the buffet table, which has meant he has tipped the scales at 240lbs+ (despite being only 6 ft 1) in recent times. I haven't seen the weigh-in for this fight so I have no idea what shape he's in.

Thompson is a competent world level heavyweight, but I'm expecting a motivated Solis to beat him, Solis is very skillful with pretty quick hands, I had high hopes for him, hopefully he can come good, he's definitely got the skills to be a champion, although his weight and height may mean he'll fall short. 

So its confirmed Khan to fight Collazo

I haven't seen Collazo fight since the Hitman fight

Has he improved since then does he have the power to threaten Amir's glass jaw?

Yeah he knocked victor ortiz out a few weeks ago. He is strong come forward fighter with a decent punch. I predict he will knock khan spark out. Gonna have a big bet on this as khan is stupidly the big favourite. Big risk fight, little reward for khan. Collazo is better then many think but if khan wins people will just say it was a fight he should be winning. He shoukd have took the easy money and fought brook for £5 million. It would have easily been the biggest paycheck in his career.

By the way collazo was robbed against hatton.

Collazo is a slick southpaw who is able to throw feints and create unorthodox angles for punches and has good footwork, he's also a very sharp counter puncher, he's not really a 'come forward' type fighter, he's a slickster.

It's a bad fight for Khan. 

Yep, I think all 3 knock downs were essentially 'jabs'. I'm impressed with him, he deconstructed someone with a very tight defence, worked openings very well. 

He has insane power, he will either get you from accumulation or put you out with one shot. What is scary is if you look at his footwork, he doesn't at all need to leverage his punches, he feet do not need to be set, he can simply walk forward, letting his hands go, and hurt you. This is very rare to see from a technical stand point.

I'm pretty confident that Kovalev massacres Stevenson when Stevenson grows the balls to fight him.

Agnew stayed down for so long after the third knockdown that he must have been in agony.  He had a tight defence but he was so intimidated by Kovalev's power that he left the body open so much because of concerns about getting hit on the chin.  Kovalev - Stevenson needs to happen in 2014. 

Stevenson has ran off to Showtime so the chances of him fighting Kovalev are very slim. He'll be fighting Fofana next month and is then likely to fight a 49 year old Hopkins later this year (or Shumenov if Hopkins doesn't win his next fight).  

Kovalev will probably be squaring off against Pascal later this year....

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Stevenson is running his mouth now that the possibility of fighting Kovalev is 0. I hate to turn this about Mayweather but this whole focus on the $$$ and the record is starting to get old. I will always respect a fighter who will fight anyone over the guy with the polished record who only fought those he wanted to. Stevenson seems to be taking this approach. In this regard i do not get the Ward love. He is a good fighter but there is so too smoke blown up his ass by HBO.

GGG vvs Chavez Jnr will be a good fight. Chavez seems to have sorted his head out and golovkin needs bigger wins (in terms of events and interest) to force the issue with people like Ward etc

Bradley v Pacquiao next week! Who is every one backing??

Pacquiao is my ATG favourite fighter and he was robbed outrageously in the first encounter. Bradley has definitely improved since the first match. His war against the excellent Provodnikov was fight of the year and the way he dismantled JMM was very impressive.

On paper Pacquiao should win this again with ease. Bradley hasnt got much power and Pacquiao should have too much movement and be to quick for Bradley.

However Pacquiao is clearly on the decline whilst Bradley is getting better and better each fight. Cant wait.

Bradley v Pacquiao next week! Who is every one backing??

Pacquiao is my ATG favourite fighter and he was robbed outrageously in the first encounter. Bradley has definitely improved since the first match. His war against the excellent Provodnikov was fight of the year and the way he dismantled JMM was very impressive.

On paper Pacquiao should win this again with ease. Bradley hasnt got much power and Pacquiao should have too much movement and be to quick for Bradley.

However Pacquiao is clearly on the decline whilst Bradley is getting better and better each fight. Cant wait.

Pacquiao still has the speed power and footwork to trouble anyone at 147lbs, I expect him to win handily.

I'm a big fan of Bradley, for him to have a chance he needs to stick that excellent jab of his consistently in Pacquiao's face and always be on the move, his offence should be skirmish/ambush like, controlled and not too often, the majority of his punches need to be jabs. If he does that he has a chance but Pacquiao has the offence to get inside on that. 

Did anyone see the Carl Frampton fight, bit of a strange ending to that one

Yeah, it was odd.  The punch which dropped Cazares was a peach but he looked like he should have been up at six or seven.  I'm not sure what to make of it, Cazares had been floored by a low blow earlier in the round and it appeared to have given him a dead leg, at about eight in the count he very pointedly looked at Frampton, looked at his leg and looked at Frampton again.  I don't think he took a dive but I'm not sure what he was thinking unless he thought the dead leg meant he wasn't going to be able to compete in the fight. 

Christ! How did the ref let him continue after that first knockdown? Eyes crossed to say the least.

I couldn't agree more. Absolutely ridiculous.

I know the refs are often given stick for being too cautious, but how clear a TKO do you want? He was done, he could have been seriously hurt.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â