The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Lee Selby became British and Euro featherweight champ last night.

I won't claim to be a close friend, but we are on nod and mumble 'alright' terms, so clearly in work on Monday I'll virtually be his best friend ever.

Walk in the park win for Golovkin. On Thursday night victor ortiz got ko'ed by collazo the guy who was robbed against Hatton. Seemed another 'quit' job by ortiz though, im sure he could of got up. Defo the end of the road for Ortiz now. Shame as he was a real talent.

Are you serious? He got laid out by a perfectly timed short right hook to the chin, and then took one or two shots to the back of the head before he actually went down, he didn't know where he was after that.

Collazo is very skilful, he can make you look awful because he's slick and a southpaw, he also puts his punches together well. He's not a big hitter as such but that right hook was a peach and Ortiz, well, has never shown a great chin.

Hopefully this gets Collazo some bigger fights, he's clearly avoided because of how tricky he is. Aside from being robbed in the Hatton fight he was also robbed in a fight with Berto when Berto was at his 'peak'. One thing about Collazo is that he has been stopped a couple of times and has tasted the canvas a few times as well, but he is a very fine technician.

Its world level and he didnt even attempt to get up. If it was any other fighter id agree but Ortiz has a history of being a 'quitter' so its only right to be sceptical. He is finished now either way. Would have loved him to fight khan. Would have been an epic fight.

That might be because he couldn't get up LOL, he didn't know where he was, he was frozen and couldn't move, which is what happens when you are effectively knocked out.

No way was that him being a quitter, he quit in the Maidana fight yes as well as the Lopez fight but he was completely starched by Collazo, just look at the position he was in and what his body was doing, that's not quitting.

• 2 weeks later...

He's very... Big. I'm not sure why he's still fighting people who've lost 3 of their last 5 by KO. Surely the HW division isn't deep enough to justify that kind of thing after 20+ wins. I'm not saying he needs to fight someone good, just someone a bit less... Shit? I suppose he's only 25.

He's very... Big. I'm not sure why he's still fighting people who've lost 3 of their last 5 by KO. Surely the HW division isn't deep enough to justify that kind of thing after 20+ wins. I'm not saying he needs to fight someone good, just someone a bit less... Shit? I suppose he's only 25.

The sad fact is that the division is extremely thin, and most so called prospects are being heavily protected. I suppose if he wanted a step up he'd look to fight someone like Chageav who is still around, or maybe Adamek, who is amazingly ranked number 3 by Ring magazine.

I still see him as an accident waiting to happen because of his chin, he was rocked a couple of times last night and he showed a poor defence for a lot of it, despite having the reach to keep opponents at the end of his jab.

Yeah, I've little doubt anyone good (or even anyone who used to be good) would make short work of flattening him, but surely this kind of opponent kills any hype he has rather than building on it? I don't think Abell is even top 100 ranked which, at HW, is not very impressive.

Edited by ArteSuave

Yeah, I've little doubt anyone good (or even anyone who used to be good) would make short work of flattening him, but surely this kind of opponent kills any hype he has rather than building on it? I don't think Abell is even top 100 ranked which, at HW, is not very impressive.

It's a perverse symptom of the current heavyweight division. Just look at Deontay Wilder, 30 wins 30 KOs all against bums who probably rank below the likes of Abell. It's a joke what the division has become.

Worth watching.  A Japanese middleweight with a gold medal is always going to generate a lot of interest, but this guy looks like he could be a bit of a crowd pleaser. 

Really chuffed for Curtis Woodhouse. From turning pro in his late twenties from a professional footballer with no amateur experience to winning the British title is an incredible feat. He is a top fella as well. He won £250,000 from betting on himself to win so an all round great day for him. Shocked he beat hamilton though. Ive always thought Hamilton had the tools to step up to European level, always looked decent to me.

But he's a bluenose so I can't love him.  

Caught the Eubank Jr fight too, he got hit a lot but I'm not sure whether it's because he felt the other guy couldn't hurt him.  He has a cracking uppercut, but he isn't a patch on his father. 

Clay-Liston Fixed? 

Fifty years ago today, Muhammad Ali “shocked the world” and beat one of the most fearsome fighters ever to put on a pair of boxing gloves, heavyweight champion Sonny Liston.

But what if that storied fight was not what it seemed?

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/24/was-rigged-by-mob/#ixzz2uMADJkzq 
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
Edited by maqroll

People have been saying that since, well, since 1964 haven't they?  The second fight was won by the most famous punch in the history of the sport and people are saying that was fixed too. I don't think anybody will be able to prove it. 

Finally a decent night of boxing, three good fights:

Lomachenko vs Salido. Lomachenko is bidding to become a world champion in only his second pro fight. He looks great in the amateur footage, and stopped a club fighter in his pro debut but Salido is a guy with over 50 pro fights, has gone the distance with Marquez, knocked out Juanma Lopez twice and beaten Robert Guerrero convincingly on points. He's tough, applies a lot of pressure and can bang a bit. So this is a major step for Lomachenko, he does look frankly awesome but Salido is capable of the upset unless he has been paid off. 

Chavez Jr vs Vera. Vera was robbed in the first fight, Chavez looks in much better shape this time around, I hate Chavez so will be rooting for Vera.

Crawford vs Ricky Burns. I fully expect Burns to lose his title tonight unless there's another major robbery in Glasgow.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â