The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I forgot to mention this the other day

Eddie Hearne is looking at bringing boxing to Birmingham, he is trying to arrange a big fight night for mid October

or so he said on twatter

It's like he's never even heard of the Acorn.

Eddie Hearne is looking at bringing boxing to Birmingham, he is trying to arrange a big fight night for mid October

or so he said on twatter

Yep, seriously doubt any 'big' fight will be coming to Birmingham. More likely it'll be Kal Yafai co-headlining an event since he is from Birmingham (Moseley to be exact) and a prospect.

True, one things for sure is that Haye needs to mix up his offence more than he did against his last giant opponent, he needs to attack Fury's fleshy body and not just head hunt.

I agree that this would be Haye's best option but does he really need to box intelligently? The punches (and KO rates of the fighters) that have put Fury on his arse to date suggest to me that fighting the same fight he did against Valuev would result in a fairly short fight.

I wouldn't disagree with this, but to play devil's advocate, Fury fought a very disciplined fight against Kevin Johnson recently, he won the fight off of his jab and defence alone. Haye is obviously a different proposition than a fat, out of shape and unprepared Johnson (he took the fight on two weeks notice) but it was a different Fury: if he brings that game plan into the Haye fight it'll be more difficult for Haye than it would if Fury fought like he did in the Cunningham fight.

I still think that Haye's problem as a heavyweight his is low activity level and lack of body attack. More broadly, if he wants to beat Wladimir or even an over the hill Vitali he'll have to do a lot more than his Valuev/Wladimir approach. But then Fury isn't near the Kilitschko's level.

or so he said on twatter

Yep, seriously doubt any 'big' fight will be coming to Birmingham. More likely it'll be Kal Yafai co-headlining an event since he is from Birmingham (Moseley to be exact) and a prospect.

Kal Yafai was the first name that I mentioned to my mate when I heard about it, that wouldn't be worth it

or so he said on twatter

Kal Yafai was the first name that I mentioned to my mate when I heard about it, that wouldn't be worth it

Yep, they'll have to co-headline it, which means some other jobber from Hearn's stable but a bit more well known like Lee Purdy lol.

Incidentally, I completely forgot that another Hearn boxer, Kell Brook, is fighting tonight against Carson Jones, again.

Brook for me is a bit of a joke, he must have had close to 30 pro fights and has yet to fight at world level, and when he gets his shot he gets 'injured'. The best name on Brook's record is Matthew Hatton, says it all. The arrogant clearing in the woods needs to fight at a higher standard instead of continually running his mouth about how good he is but fighting only bums.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I can't really remember him fighting Matty hatton, I probably watched it but it has slipped my memory, how did it go?

Brook outboxed him and knocked him down once. Hatton is an awful boxer so you wouldn't expect anything less.

Hatton has made a name for himself by getting beat by the up and coming boxers though ain't he, I don't think even he would say anything other than that, it's almost as if he is just enough of a challenge to be worthy of being put in the ring with youngsters

He's very tough, very durable, has a lot of heart and a very good chin but no boxing ability, he has, in many ways, had a good career considering his limitations, he had his world title 'shot' against Canelo so fair play to him.

His last fight was against Van Heeden for the lightly regarded IBO welterweight title and he looked as bad as he has ever looked against an average opponent, he said he might pack it in after that one.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

He's very tough, very durable, has a lot of heart and a very good chin but no boxing ability, he has, in many ways, had a good career considering his limitations  because of who his brother is, he had his world title 'shot' against Canelo so fair play to him.

Had to fix that one for you sir.  Matthew has definitely got some big fights and made a lot of money because everybody loves Ricky.  There is no way he would have got the Canelo fight if it wasn't for his brothers friends and connections in the industry. 

He's very tough, very durable, has a lot of heart and a very good chin but no boxing ability, he has, in many ways, had a good career considering his limitations  because of who his brother is, he had his world title 'shot' against Canelo so fair play to him.

Had to fix that one for you sir.  Matthew has definitely got some big fights and made a lot of money because everybody loves Ricky.  There is no way he would have got the Canelo fight if it wasn't for his brothers friends and connections in the industry. 

lol well I was trying to be nice for once! But yes that is undoubtedly true, the fight was made most likely due to Hatton's connections with HBO, and the fact that Hatton was the sort of can that would make Canelo look good.

British refs are amongst the worst in the world, terrible stoppage.

That said, Jones is the equivalent of a Lee Selby, he's a 'domestic' level fighter, time for the 'special' won to actual fight someone at world level for once.

Selby didn't look very good against a feather-fisted plodder with poor technical skills, I really don't see what the hype in Selby is about. The guy he just fought is barely a top 20 featherweight if that.

I've seen Selby a few times and extolled his ability in this very thread. I like his ability to mix it up but I'm starting to wonder whether he has it in him to take the next step.

Selby didn't look very good against a feather-fisted plodder with poor technical skills, I really don't see what the hype in Selby is about. The guy he just fought is barely a top 20 featherweight if that.

I've seen Selby a few times and extolled his ability in this very thread. I like his ability to mix it up but I'm starting to wonder whether he has it in him to take the next step.

I don't think he has world class ability, he'll probably get a title shot at some point and may be lucky enough to become a paper champion if Hearn plays his cards right (like Nathan Cleverly for example).

The thing is though he looks like he's going down the WBC route and looking to become the mandatory for the WBC champ Abner Mares. Mares would destroy him as he's a genuine top class boxer.

Yeah, it's a shame to see Shane keep on spoiling his legacy by carrying on too long.  He will be 42 when he fights next and he should have called it a day after he lost to Mayweather. 

Yeah chisora brings a lot of passing fans to the boxing because of the beef with David Haye it put him in the public eye so he is kind of classed as one of the "names" at the moment but I be is therefor the taking definitely.

Billy joe Saunders is fighting tonight as well ain't he, I had high hopes for the kid but in his last couple of fights he looks like he seriously lacks power and has some stamina issues, looks like he is struggling to make the weight as well

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â