The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Yeah I fancied Garcia to KO him without much problem but Judah shocked me with how well he done.

Garcia is over rated if you ask me, he has probably the best left hook in the business at the moment but not much else about him impresses me.

Just finished it, great fight, I felt Garcia beasted it for the first 8 but Super Judah put his cape on and won the championship rounds.

I like Garcia a lot, he has developed his game considerably, he only threw a handful of left hooks, it was the right hand that was his best weapon. He is able to throw it from odd angles and he has learned how to throw it straight as well. He is a very good counterpuncher and he also has an exceptional chin. Overall I was impressed with him, I don't think he's overrated at all, he just has a style that means he will struggle at times against pure boxers, and Judah is certainly that. But his heart, strength, power and chin are all there.

What Garcia needs to do is improve his jab, he really only lands power shots, he uses his jab as a screen to distract his opponent. If he can learn how to use the jab as a weapon then he'll be pretty complete.

I'm definitely a fan of the guy, it's a pretty stacked division with him, Peterson and Matthysse.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I'm done with the boxing for now any way

after watching

baby Khan

Ogogo

Fraudley

glass jaw Khan

Murray

Garcia

I have still gotta catch up with the Arreola v Stiverne fight but I think I will leave that till tomorrow, it was a bit of a bloodbath apparently wasn't it?

I don't know how it went just that there was a fair bit of blood and snot, been a pretty decent weekend for boxing, its always nice when you get a mixture of the English lads and the international fights.

nothing has been mind blowing but they have all been decent fights

Just watched the Martinez-Murray fight, and I think the fight was fixed. Murray landed more punches, and also knocked Martinez down twice, although the second knockdown was wrongly ruled a slip...hometown result, IMO.

Maybe if David Haye hadn't spent the last few years sitting down trying to talk his way into a Klitschko he could have actually gone the proffesional route and got his shot by actually boxing

Pot, Kettle

David Haye says that Tyson Fuey is using him to promote himself

maybe he should stop screaming about how much he wants to fight me. But maybe if he didn't do that, he would not get any coverage."

**************************************************************************************************

Haye talks about the brothers

"I'm coming for you after the fight," said Haye.

"Don't go to the hospital with your brother. Make sure you're there, don't go with the ambulance."

"I told the Klitschkos, 'Put it on anywhere you want. I don't care.'"

David Haye has no motivation to fight anyone other than the brothers

David Haye has ruled out British heavyweight bouts with Tyson Fury and David Price, insisting that he will only step into the ring with Vitali Klitschko.

The former unified world cruiserweight champion has his sights set on the Ukranian's WBC title, and is in the process of agreeing terms with his rival.

"The WBC are happy for me to fight him, they know I'm the only guy out there to challenge him," Haye told Sky Sports News.

"What's fighting more guys like Manuel Charr (Vitali's most recent opponent) going to do for him? He's never had a superfight.

David Haye insists Vitali Klitschko won't want to fight him after watching him floor Dereck Chisora

"Vitali is nearly 40 years of age now and the clock is ticking," said Haye. "There are probably one million dudes in America called Kevin Johnson, and beating one of them doesn't make you an all-time great heavyweight.

"I want to knock out both Wladimir and Vitali Klitschko, and I don't care what order they fall in.

Edited by leemond2008

It's almost time for Mayweather - Guerrero, I'm getting very excited.

I like Guerrero a lot, he's a very good boxer and a guy I respect a lot on a personal level.

This will be an intriguing fight. Guerrero is a very tough fighter with a lot of variety. If you watch his fights at featherweight and lightweight he was very much a boxer, he'd work the jab very well, his jab can be an important weapon for him, he would also show a lot of lateral movement. On top of this he was very high volume, throwing toward a thousand punches a fight.

However since his big step up to welterweight he has become a brawler. Using his weight and big frame to bully his opponents, to maul them against the ropes, to couple this with his foot speed to become a pretty effective pressure fighter. Despite not having a hugely impressive KO record he does hit hard enough to 'keep guys honest'. He has always had a lot of pop in his straight left hand and throws a nice right hook. He just isn't a KO artist and perhaps isn't a good finisher when his opponent is hurt. We saw that against Berto who was dropped twice and badly hurt another couple of times in Guerrero's last fight.

Although Berto doesn't have a particularly great chin it was as far as I'm concerned a decent 'proof' that his power is at least decent at the weight and that he is by no means a light puncher.

He does have 3 obvious flaws:

(1) There's a question about his stamina. Guerrero often gasses in the later round of his fights. He did this against Aydin and became vulnerable at a couple of points. He also allowed Berto back into the fight in the 8th-10th rounds before getting his second wind in the final round. Floyd is one of the best in business down the stretch, he maybe able to let Guerrero tire himself out and stop him late.

(2) His new brawling style leaves him open. Berto tagged him a number of times with uppercuts and hooks on the inside. Floyd is a very good inside fighter, as we saw against Hatton. There's the possibility that Guerrero, should he use his brawling 'skills' over his boxing skills, will give a lot of 'ineffective' aggression, with Floyd in his Philly-shell picking off most of the attack with his elbows and shoulders, and then being able to counter.

(3) Lack of head movement. Guerrero just doesn't move his head very often, if he fight on the front foot then Floyd will have plenty of opportunities to land his favourite punch: the lead right hand down the pipe. Given Guerrero is a south-paw this is even more likely as the straight right is the punch against those guys.

There are some interesting questions to be asked of Floyd. He is 36 now, so will father time catch up with him, will he grow old overnight? In fact he has already declined as a fighter, he has lost a fair amount of foot speed, his legs aren't what they were. If Guerrero comes aggressive will Floyd have the legs to move away? Think back to the Hatton fight, Hatton used his foot speed to close Floyd down and this caused him problems in the early rounds, does Floyd have the legs to get out of such situations some 6 years later?

I personally think Guerrero should box and try to make Floyd be the one on the front foot, as I say, Guerrero has a good jab and can put his punches together in combinations very well. However I expect him to brawl and try to always be on the front foot. I think this will cause Floyd problems and the fight will be very competitive for the first 8 rounds, but ultimately Floyd will win the championship rounds, and as Guerrero tires will open up more with combinations of his own.

Good fight but Floyd should win something like 117-111 on the cards.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Well klitschko won in the 6th, the fight went on for 4 rounds more than it should have.

That says it all really, the other bloke (Pianeta) was hopelessly outclassed although he did at least attempt to throw a few punches which is more than a fair few of his opponents try.

Anyway time for bed, gotta get up at 2am for the Mayweather fight

Good fight but Floyd should win something like 117-111 on the cards.

lol all 3 judges had this score.

Floyd was great, it was one of his sharpest ever performances. Guerrero was outclassed throughout, he started well with a lot of head movement but when Floyd adjusted he didn't have a clue. He should have used the uppercut but he didn't.

People (myself included) have been saying Mayweather will get old all of a sudden but off that showing everyone mite be wrong.

He was brilliant last night faultless really, he schooled the ghost and in the interview after the fight he was unmarked and looked like he could do another 12.

Thought it was nice when Mayweather snr tried to have a go after the fight and floyd turned around and told him to shut his mouth and not say that shit

For what it's worth I had it 118 - 110, I gave mayweather the 9th, that seems to be the round where Guerrero tried to pull one back but it was about 5:30am and I probably wasn't watching as closely as I could have been...not that it would have made any difference anyway

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â