The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

95% of Calzaghe's opponents were a mixture of bums, shot fighters and C level boxers.

The only names on his records are Kessler, Sakio Bika and Hopkins. Kessler he clearly beat in a good fight, some argue that this was a prime Kessler but he went into the fight with a badly injured right hand, so I'd say not really. Kessler landed the better punches but again Calzaghe did his usual slap his way to victory as Kessler struggled with the pace for the lion's share of the fight.

Bika is an ugly, dirty boxer and Calzaghe beat him in what I fought was a close fight, bit of a non-event. Bika was and still is arguably world level but nothing more than that. He never held a legit. world title and never beat anyone of note.

Hopkins well every time I watch it I score the fight to Hopkins so I don't at all give Calzaghe credit for 'winning' that one. Calzaghe forced him to fight at a much higher pace but Hopkins clearly landed more cleaner, harder shots. Most of Calzaghe's landed punches were slaps and he never once hurt Hopkins.

Other names included Roy Jones - when Roy was shot to absolute pieces. Jeff Lacey - who was never nothing but a hype job C level boxer with no major wins going into that fight. Robin Reid, who arguably beat Calzaghe in that one.

So yeah, suffice to say that I think he's one of the most overrated boxers of all time with very few notable wins and a padded record full of stiffs.

Yeah, I've thought that before too.  Fury likes getting involved in a tear up and it will cost him.   He is entertaining though and I'll continue to watch him because of that. 

His cousin fought last night too.  Looks like he has a bit of power. 

I would say he deserves one as well, fair enough I think the result would have probably gone the same way because Fury was just sapping the energy from him with all of the leaning and holding but I thought straight away that it was a horrible punch to knock someone out with...Having said that though shit like this happens in boxing everynow and again doesn't it

I would say he deserves one as well, fair enough I think the result would have probably gone the same way because Fury was just sapping the energy from him with all of the leaning and holding but I thought straight away that it was a horrible punch to knock someone out with...Having said that though shit like this happens in boxing everynow and again doesn't it

And knock him out he did. He also got put firmly on his arse by a midget.It is literally the equivalent of me being bowled over by a 5 foot bloke, not to mention the poundage difference. Put him in the ring with a decent heavyweight, Price for example, and he'll get absolutely ruined IMO. Everyone in his camp knows this I'm sure. If they don't, they're in for a BIG surprise.

That said I love to hate Tyson Fury. He boxes like an oaf, with those silly little matchstick legs of his and the high waistband, but I hope he sticks around if only to breath a little life into the sport. 

That's the thing with him, there is a kid I work with who casually follows the boxing and he always rips on me as soon as I mention Fury, he just doesn't understand that he is good for the sport in his own little way.

People who don't normally watch boxing make a point of watching him because the English press hype him up to be brilliant when he is definitely not that

People who do follow boxing make a point of watching him because we know he is shite but we also know that literally anything can happen with him from him knocking someone out cold to him being put on his arse by a midget to him punching himself in the face or even him serenading the **** crowd afterwards, sometimes it is nice to watch a "lighthearted" fight just to see what happens rather than watching the full on serious fights.

One thing you can say for Fury it's never going to be dull, I'll keep on watching him and enjoying the freak show until he gets sparked by someone

Lee Selby is nothing special and not world class as far as I'm concerned. He can't be world class because he has never fought anyone beyond domestic level lol. He's also 26, top level fighters are doing more than fighting domestic level stiffs at that age, most have won a world title.

The featherweight division has some decent talent like Mikey Garcia, Salido, Chris John and Gradovic. 

Add to that list Nonito Donaire who will be moving up very soon, Abner Mares who has recently made the move and Rigondeaux who will likely move up as there's nothing there for him at Super Bantam. 

I think DDID was more questioning if he has the potential to become world class, I don't think he was suggesting he was world class at this minute, yeah the featherweight division isn't too bad at all couple of good fights to be had in there.

I thought I read the other day that Donaire was staying at his current weight

Donaire is most likely going to fight Juanma next at featherweight, Donaire is too big for super bantam and the only way he'll stay there is for a rematch with Rigo, there's no one else to fight at the weight since Mares has moved up.

And yeah he was questioning his potential, I misread, although I still doubt his potential, most top level boxers are at world level before the age of 26 and the division he is in is about to get stacked.

I think DDID was more questioning if he has the potential to become world class, I don't think he was suggesting he was world class at this minute, yeah the featherweight division isn't too bad at all couple of good fights to be had in there.

I thought I read the other day that Donaire was staying at his current weight

Indeed I was. It's a bit like watching a young player rip up the championship and questioning whether he can do it at the highest level. It's almost impossible to know, but it's clear he has ability. He's clearly the best of Britain too and that normally gives him a chance at world level.

Besides which, I can't see the relevance in his age. 26 is not 36, he's entered the sport relatively late, he's clearly still young enough and fit enough to compete.

I like watching him fight. He picks his shots well behind good foot and head work and he has the power to stop. Granted he's a bit of a chav but he seems a likeable enough 'kid'.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â