The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Prizefighter tomorrow as well, Heavyweights

the last few heavyweight Prizefighters have been shit (as has the division) but with the new KO bonus it mite make it worth watching, I'll just be flicking between that and the Price fight anyway.

The last prizefighter was cracking for a change

Just watched Lamont Peterson's return against Kendall Holt. Peterson clearly ring rusty for the first 3 round but then started to look sharp with nice inside fighting and accurate power punching. Holt is basically a corpse nowadays and really can't take the punch that well, hence Peterson, a relatively light puncher, was able to clear him out of there inside 8.

Prizefighter tonight then, well it really shows how far Sky sports have fallen, they clearly have a lack of promoters on the pay roll and are now struggling to get any sort of compelling action. Prizefighter for me isn't that interesting and really the time slot should be given over to 'proper' boxing. I see Fraudley is involved so hopefully he gets knocked out.

Thompson - Price will be interesting and I'm tipping Price to struggle in that one if he can't get a very early stoppage, Thompson is no mug, a good boxer who fights out of a southpaw stance so it's a question of how much Thompson has left after his beating at the hands of Wladimir last year. Is he going to turn up for a pay check or is he motivated to stop a prospect in his tracks. Should be interesting.

michael-katsidis_zpsdd5d112d.jpg

AS painful as the sound of the final bell has been, boxer Michael
Katsidis is fully aware he has dodged a dementia-tipped bullet.

Katsidis is
a dynamo in the ring and until last week was desperate to resurrect a
once glittering career that saw him grace some of boxing's biggest
stages.

He dropped legendary Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, only to lose by TKO in the ninth round.

It was a month after his younger brother, Stathi, a champion
Queensland-based jockey, died from a lethal cocktail of drugs and
alcohol.

Katsidis dedicated the rest of his career to honouring Stathi's memory
and was to begin the path back tonight at the Melbourne Pavilion in
Flemington.

Then came the news that a medical had declared him unfit to take on Filipino Weng Haya.

Katsidis, 32, was shocked, his world shattered.

He felt and looked well and insiders said he had been training brilliantly at Johnny Lewis's gym in Sydney.

Yesterday, Katsidis admitted being confused after a CAT scan showed
some scarring on his brain, insufficient to ruin his long-term health
but a very clear warning that further punishment could be dire.

After all, two of the all-time greatest, Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Robinson, were left as shells after too many fights.

Katsidis, whose entertaining style was "take a punch to land a punch", knew he risked a similar fate.

But it doesn't make retirement any easier and there are countries that would still allow him to fight.

"Boxing is my life, it's everything to me," he said. .

"It's just a very emotional time, but I love my family (wife Kumi and
daughter Kalia Rose, 3) so I will pursue a media career to still be
involved in boxing.

"Being man enough to withdraw from this fight was the bigger thing to do.

"I took on the world's best and entertained. I wanted to be the Aussie
who got out there. Boxing is one man's will against another man's will,
and we fight because we have something to prove.

"I wanted to prove an Australian's will can be the best and I'm very proud I proved that."

Michael "The Great" Katsidis now wants to give something back and
advise fighters not to be afraid to lose, because as long as you lose
in an entertaining fashion you will still feature on the big cards.

Tonight's card that was to feature Katsidis will go ahead with Fred
Tukes and Samuel Colomban contesting the vacant Australian welterweight
title and unbeaten prospect Michael Zerafa tackling Adrian Campbell
for the WBA Asia Continental light middleweight title.

Light heavyweight Jake Carr, son of former Commonwealth champion Rodd Carr, is also fighting.

A great fighter, always entertained and I always made a point of watching him.

Good time for him to go though, I think you could see in the Burns fight that he wasn't up to his old standards.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â