The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Didnt see the fight (or any of the overnight stuff, I understand Alexander & Bailey stank the place out while Paulie won a bizarre split decision) but I think respect has to be due for Morales. Truly one of the great fighters of the modern era, he has been a shadow of his former self since he turned 30 but at his peak he was immense. A definite hall of famer.

Been linked before, but R12 during the first Pacquiao fight. A mile ahead on points and Morales just decides "**** it" and decides to have a brawl for the final two minutes. The commentators asked him why he did it, he said he thought it would be fun for the crowd. Legend.

yeah Alexander and Bailey were awful a real bore fest, the second fight was pretty good, cant remember their names for the life of me now, I didn't pay much attention to the Malignaggi fight because I was kind of in and out of the room doing other stuff.

Morales is definitely one of the greats of our time, I'll never forget them wars with Barrera they were magnificent fighters, they said before the fight that Morales has money troubles I find that hard to believe after his career but if it is true I just hope that doesn't mean he is going to try to keep going

Garcia decapitated him, what impressed me about Garcia was his body shots and he also hurt Morales badly with a straight right, Garcia rarely throws straight punches so perhaps some signs of development.

Garcia is pretty 1D but is heavy handed, has legit power and throws a beautiful left hook, he really times that punch incredibly well and gets great power behind it.

Morales needs to give it up, he's shot.

Alexander vs Bailey was a snooze fest like all of Alexanders fights, Brook will still struggle to beat him though IMO.

Paulie got a robbery win over Cano.

At least Quillin vs N'Jikam was a good fight, I actually had the fight a draw at the 12th but those two knockdowns secured it for Quillin. Weird fight really, N'Jikam is good with a lot of skill but hit the canvas when he took a big shot, still lots of heart to get back up and fight well. Quillin didn't really show me anything I didn't already know, he's a powerful puncher with a great left hook but needs to show more activity. N'Jikam is the best name on his record now, hopefully he'll get some big fights in the future.

Alexander has speed and more power than his KO record suggests, he can crack when he wants to. He's there to be hit but has a habit of neutralising his opponents best weapons, as we saw last night and in his previous fight against Maidana, although Brook is more skilled than both of them in the sense that he's not looking to load up on power punches with everything he does.

Alexander IMO is capable of hurting and even stopping Brook because Brook is very easy to hit, Saldivia actually caught him with a couple of power shots last night.

On the other hand Brook has pop in both hands and excellent timing, Alexander is tough and can take punishment so I don't see Brook stopping him. Brook can beat him on points though if he's on his game.

Some action last night.

Lightweight champ Miguel Vazquez beat Marvin Quintero via SD. Close fight, Vazquez has a great jab but really, the fight stank for the most part, Quintero could have easily won it.

Welterweight prospect Thomas Dulorme got stopped by Luis Abregu. Dulorme is a very fast boxer who likes to jump in and ambush his opponents with a flurry of punches and then get out. Abregu is a hard puncher but I must admit this fight raises questions about Dulorme's chin. So a suspect chin coupled with his style basically makes him an Amir Khan type.

Overall not a great HBO card.

Also Rafa Marquez was stopped, a great fighter in his day time to hang it up.

On a final note there's a couple of interesting H/W fights on the cards. Price could be getting a fight with Deontay Wilder. Wilder is 25-0 with 25 KO's although that's against 25 bums. Wilder is considered a prospect and holds an Olympic bronze, this would be a profile raising fight for Price in the states, he should beat Wilder as long as he doesn't walk onto something big.

Fury vs Denis Boystov is in play for December. Boystov is a prospect in the division and has quick hands and lots of power. I see Boystov stopping Fury if this fight takes place.

Action tonight.

Bute vs Denis Grachev: I wrote Grachev off earlier on in this thread on the basis of him having more kickboxing bouts than boxing ones. Now I've taken a look at him and I'm still not so sure. OK he did beat the 'prospect' Ismail Sillakh by stoppage. He is a tough bastard, he comes forward and has some power. I still think that against Bute he has no more than a punchers chance, Bute doesn't have good punch resistance IMO. But Grachev is there to be hit, he doesn't make a huge effort to avoid punches, so if Bute can get his left hand going with some regularity he'll clear Grachev out of there.

Perhaps one interesting aspect is how Bute approaches this fight and responds to the beating Froch gave out, it really was IMO a potentially career ending beating, the sort of beating where a fighter comes back but is never the same again, so something to keep me mildly interested.

The undercard contains Allan Green vs Renan St Juste. Green looked a talent until he lost to Miranda, he has also lost 3 of his last 6 fights, including a shut out against Ward and KO losses to Glen Johnson and Kessler. The Kessler KO was in his last fight and was particularly brutal, the type of KO I don't expect him to recover from, I think he's going into this fight too soon. Renan St Juste is like 40 years old and lost his last fight to Anthony Dirrell due to injury, he has some power so can pull off the upset, especially since Green's chin was shattered by Kessler. Fighters at his age that get stopped brutally never seem to be able to take a punch again.

Oh and Marco Huck defends his strap against Firat Arslan. Can't be arsed with that one, I don't like Huck although did IMO beat Povetkin when he moved up to h/w, although did get a robbery win and draw over Afolabi.

Huck is looking like shit and most of his punches have been picked up on Arslan's gloves. Arslan's landed the cleaner shots so far. Huck's body work and energy probably going to slow him down though later on.

EDIT:

Huck wins, close fight, Arslan landed the cleaner shots throughout, Huck worked the body well but most of his head shots were blocked by Arslan's gloves. I felt Huck edged the championship rounds, but it was close, could have made a case for Huck winning by a round, Arslan winning by a round, or a draw!

That Italian judge giving it 117:111 to Huck is an idiot.

Bute looked like shit, Froch either (a) ruined him or (b ) it's the case that Bute wasn't that good in the first place. I think it's actually a mixture, he was overrated before the Froch fight but against Grachev he looked devoid of confidence and often amateurish against a crude, plodding pressure fighter.

Do you think the rematch will still happen? Bute's camp have been saying they still want it but havent actually done anything about it yet, I strongly suspect they wanted to see how Bute and Froch both looked in their next bouts before trying to make any kind of a deal.

The fight in Nottingham has to have done psychological damage to Bute though, he was absolutely dismantled by a fighter he felt he should win against and I think once that happens to you then you cant feel invincible in the ring any more. Was there an element of fear in Bute's performance last night? (I didnt see the fight)

Well before the Grachev fight my stance was that Froch would stop Bute in a rematch but this time in the later rounds as Bute would be more cautious and on the back foot more, so more elusive and harder to hit.

After this I can see the rematch being the same as the first, Bute has absolutely no confidence, he's not hard to hit and seems unwilling to really engage, Froch will destroy him again. Grachev is a plodding pressure fighter with no real boxing ability but won his fair share of rounds and landed some clean shots. Bute started sharply but the middle rounds were very, even to say the least. Only in round 12 did Bute really go for it and he landed a lot of big shots and hurt Grachev.

That said for his health he should not take the rematch and just stay in Canada fighting B and C level fighters like he has done for most of his career. Obviously a Froch fight will mean more money and possible Showtime or HBO exposure but it depends on whether Bute wants a career in boxing because once Froch deals with him again he'll have to retire.

Ahhh yet another shit boring Wlad Klitschko fight. Best bit was when Wach clobbered him with the right hand in round 5 it hurt Wlad and if there were more time in the round to go we could have had an upset.

Alas, Wach is a bum with no boxing skills and only one punch, he does have a chin though.

Overall it was yet another shocking indictment of the worst division in boxing.

Oh well, Vanes Martirosyan vs Lara should be a good fight later.

The over was a good bet, in fact given how Wlad responded to a straight right from Wach in round 5 you could actually see some sense in Wach KO lol!

I wonder who the next bum on his list is, his last three fights have been against Wach, Tony Thompson and Mormeck, **** shocking.

Tomorrow night:

Froch vs Mack

Froch should clear this guy out of there inside 6, Mack isn't exactly a bum he's decent but hardly world level. He has been stopped four times before, one of those was against Glen Johnson who's hardly a big puncher, his most recent stoppage was in a fight with Cloud for a light heavy title. So whenever he has stepped it up in class he has been knocked out (his other KOs were against Librado Andrade and Berrio). His noteworthy wins were against Zab Judah's brother and Omar Sheika so really, not 'noteworthy' at all.

I see the fight being stopped after Mack takes a load of un-answered punches against the ropes. I guess Froch deserves an easy fight in Notts so can't hate on this fight too much...

Bellew vs Bolonti

Bellew is a 'meh' fighter for me, very good domestic light heavy but I don't know whether he's world level material, despite the l/h division being weak. Bolonti is pretty much an unknown quantity. All of his fights have been in Argentina, he holds some kind of WBC Latino title, one may ask, 'where the **** did they find this guy'? No one seems to know anything about him and there doesn't seem to be much footage. Now looking at his record he does have a decent KO record, so maybe he's a puncher, so an unknown Argentinian puncher could mean a shock on the cards, will he be in the mold of Maidana or a Matthysse or is he another Hector Saldivia?

Broner vs DeMarco

So this is the HBO main event on Saturday night. Broner yeah probably one of the most gifted out there right now, although I wouldn't say he's the next Mayweather because Broner has fought a collection of nobodies and bums so far and really lost against Quintero and Ponce de Leon. Whereas by the time Mayweather was 23 he had beat genuine world class super featherweights like Genaro Hernandez and top contenders like Angel Manfredy.

This fight is Broner's coming out party because DeMarco is IMO a genuine world level lightweight. His only proper loss was to Edwin Valero, a monster puncher who stopped everyone of his 27 opponents before killing himself and his wife. DeMarco beat Jorge Linares, a world class fighter (but perhaps can't take the punch at lightweight).

DeMarco is the best Broner has yet to face, he has genuine power at the weight, if Broner can dispose of him either by a wide points decision or stoppage then I'd say that the kid is the real deal.

I fancy Broner to take it on points but would like to see Broner get knocked out because I think he's an absolute c***.

Mack had to get naked to make the weight vs Froch. Think he might be weight drained for the fight too? I dont know much about him other than he is a natural Light Heavyweight. As he is coming down to somebody with the class of Froch who is a natural Super Middleweight then it is looking like a fairly routine defence for Froch (and god knows, he has earned one when you think that his last eight fights have all been against absolute elite level opponents. Froch is talking a good fight too, he is making it very clear he isnt being complacent about tomorrow night at all.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â