The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Toney seems insistent on going and getting beaten up in MMA.

I hope he doesn't, it'll be a body blow for boxing.

Claimed it's because of no-one wanting to fight him. Even though he's old I'd still love to see him face Wlad, Vitali, Haye or even B-hop at Cruiser

Also, for some strange reason he was hanging out with Audley Harrison :shock:

The closest Audley will come to greatness is standing next to someone like Toney

Khan signs for Golden Boy... Malignaggi?

At the moment, DiBella isn't happy with Golden Boys proposal.

Like he says, Khan is currently a nobody whereas Paulie isn't. Surely Paulie should be making the demands.

:crylaugh:

The only way Paulie is better known than Khan is by being known for his mouth.

Khan may not be a big name outside the UK, but Paulie isn't some huge draw, and certainly isn't in a position to make demands of a world title holder.

I was thinking he had won a title from Diaz when I made that comment in all honesty.

He's already slurring, I don't think a fight with the Klits/Haye is a good idea for his health. Especially because his chin is amazing, so he'd probably just suck the punishment up.

Agree with the health thing but it might be one of the only ways to make him realise that his time is up.

Unless he pulls out a decision win after rolling back the years :P

Well, I've got to give credit to Floyd Mayweather Jr. Sources say he's stepped up to agree to fight Sugar Shane Mosley on May 1.

Although not officially confirmed, the word is that the deal just needs to be signed.

Mosley stepped in the ring and called out Mayweather Jr. in his recent fight against Juan Manuel Marquez.

Mayweather Jr. maintains that Mosley has been ducking him for years and he repeatedly called him out in 1999 when he was fighting at 130 lbs and Mosley was at 135 lbs. Mosley moved up to 147 lbs and eventually beat Oscar De La Hoya.

To say the least, this match has the requisite acrimony. I really don't think either fighter likes the other.

This fight should quiet some of the critics who have accused Floyd of cherry-picking smaller fighters. Of course, the fact that Mosley is 39 years old won't keep all of the boo birds quiet.

However, Mosley should be a difficult opponent for Floyd. He's bigger and stronger than most opponents Floyd has faced. He's also extremely experienced and has been in major fights for the past 10 years.

The details are fuzzy on whether Mayweather will face another opponent prior to facing Mosley. It's highly doubtful Floyd would face anyone prior to such a big fight.

My prediction?

I think Floyd will win in a decision. He looked very good against Juan Manuel Marquez. At this point in his career, the only way to beat Floyd Mayweather is to pressure him constantly and counter his counter attacks.

Or, to simply overpower him.

I'm not sure Mosley has the stamina to pressure him for 12 rounds. I don't know if he has the strength to truly overpower him.

That said, he looked great against Antonio Margarito.

Another wild card will be the trainer for Mosley. I've got to wonder if he looks up Freddie Roach? Roach seemed to have a very good strategy against Floyd when he trained De La Hoya.

I'm glad Floyd chose a worthy opponent and isn't fighting the same day as Manny Pacquiao (as some had suggested).

That would have been disappointing to all.

Stay tuned for the official announcement of this fight.

I dun' told y'all he'd step up 8)

Andre Berto:

Since the 7.0 earthquake struck Haiti on Tuesday evening, I have been focusing on my family and the Haitian people who are facing an inconceivable battle for survival while still trying to continue to prepare for an opportunity I have dreamt of since childhood. I lost several family members to the earthquake and after two days without word, was relieved to learn that my sister, Naomi and her daughter, Jessica survived, but were left homeless. I have seen the pain in my parents’ eyes as they attempt to understand what has happened to our homeland and recognize a place they once called home..

As a result of this disaster, I am mentally and physically exhausted and therefore I have no choice but to withdraw from my bout on January 30.

Throughout the past six days, I have received an incredible outpouring of support, and I sincerely appreciate everyone’s prayers for the people of Haiti. I hope that everyone will continue to keep the Haitian people in their thoughts and prayers as we work to rebuild this proud nation. The rebuilding of Haiti is not something that will happen overnight, but I am fully dedicated to helping the Haitian people recover from this catastrophic event.

I was half expecting Berto to pull out to be honest once that earthquake hit, no one should criticise him for this either.

Floyd V Mosley though.....I'm torn, but I'm leaning towards the Sugar man, go Shane :D

If anyone on here says they'd rather see Pac V Floyd than Pac V Mosley then they can royally go **** themselves by the way :twisted:

BoxingScene.com was advised by Freddie Roach, trainer of WBA junior welterweight champion Amir Khan, that a fight with Juan Manuel Marquez is on the table. Contrary to widespread media reports, Roach says there is no set agreement to fight mandatory Marcos Maidana. In fact, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer told BoxingScene on Monday that he simply postponed the WBA's mandated purse bid for another two weeks to give himself additional time to reach an agreement between Khan and Maidana, who are both under the Golden Boy banner.

"There has been talk about Paulie Malignaggi at The Garden but they are worried about ticket sales and Paulie filling The Garden. That's what I'm told. I would like to kick Paulie's @ss because he's talking about my fighter [Manny Pacquioa]. He's an expert on steroids too now," Roach told BoxingScene.

Roach advised Khan to avoid a Maidana fight for a little while to allow the hype to build up. He doesn't think there is enough buzz or money in the match. He was approached by Golden Boy about the possibility of fighting Juan Manuel Marquez and Roach accepted that fight.

"I asked him not to fight Maidana right away because I think that fight needs to be built up. He is not well known enough and there is not enough money in that fight. If it gets built up, it could be a real big fight, so the thing is we are going to fight someone else and they just asked me if we would fight Marquez and I said 'yes we will fight Marquez.' So that's going to be on the table now and that's a possible opponent also."

Roach doesn't want Khan to vacate his title but if the WBA forces the Maidana meeting, he is not sure on the exact direction they will take.

"Amir is very proud of his title and he doesn't want to give it up. Maybe we could put Maidana on this undercard [Khan-Marquez] and build the fight up a little bit better and maybe the winners could fight each other," Roach said.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â