The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Always wondered whether Joshua was as good as people were making out. Maybe it was just a bad day at the office, we all have them. I’m not that familiar with boxing anymore, but the Mexican dude, although looks out of shape, looks like a big hitter who can brawl. 

As for Wilder, he’s got the big punch that would hurt AJ. I always find Fury massively underrated. The bloke doesn’t have much punching power it seems, but is very clever, and has a good defence. Fury the one to beat. 

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

Word on the undercard. Buatsi is the real deal. Punches very precisely, wastes nothing. 

I'd like to see him get a push now as he could be a superstar. He's an Olympian and he's dripping with charisma, the public should love him. 

Even if Joshua wins the rematch he's a busted flush.

Well and truly exposed, people now know he's well and truly got a weak chin and gets gassed out easily if you put pressure on him.

Considering this was his American debut i expected him to come out all guns blazing but he didn't look bothered at all, such strange behaviour.

Both Wilder and Fury beat him comfortably imo.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Rev said:

I'd like to see him get a push now as he could be a superstar. He's an Olympian and he's dripping with charisma, the public should love him. 

His division is loaded with talent, Kovalev , Beterbiev, Gvozdyk and Bivol are all very good boxers so he's in for one hell of an acid test. As I said before, his best wins to date haven't been against natural light heavyweights so whilst he's looking the part it's not really the time to get too excited. Let's get in him the ring with someone like Sullivan Barrera, that would give a much better read on where he is at the moment.

Rob McCracken appeared to be giving some shitty advice in the corner which Malignaggi I think picked up on, being very basic and not giving much detail. When McCracken was appointed I did question it, he has absolutely no heavyweight acumen (as far as the pro's are concerned). Same reason I question why Joe Joyce has Abel Sanchez, the Sanchez style won't translate to heavyweight well. 

I'd imagine Joshua will be getting a new trainer, there doesn't appear to be a huge amount of quality heavyweight trainers out there anymore but he'd be well advise to look for someone. He doesn't fight like a modern heavyweight, doesn't use the jab well enough, doesn't know how to clinch when he's hurt or even when he gets touched with a shot he shouldn't (like Lewis and Wladimir Klitschko used to) he also needs to learn that a guy of his size should only be throwing 10 power punches a round, at most. 

I've never seem a fighter less bothered in defeat. Joshua looked like he really enjoyed the night - no shame, no broken pride, he looked like he expected it and he was very happy with things. There's something very strange about him. He's huge but not a puncher, he's ripped but runs out of steam in two rounds, he's got a mean background that's been polished out but he doesn't seem to have a lot of heart. I'm increasingly convinced he's an instagram fighter.

22 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I've never seem a fighter less bothered in defeat. Joshua looked like he really enjoyed the night - no shame, no broken pride, he looked like he expected it and he was very happy with things. There's something very strange about him. He's huge but not a puncher, he's ripped but runs out of steam in two rounds, he's got a mean background that's been polished out but he doesn't seem to have a lot of heart. I'm increasingly convinced he's an instagram fighter.

Agree with the sentiment of this but there's nothing strange about a fighter not 'looking' how they 'look'. Muscle mass doesn't translate into power and a low body fat doesn't translate into having extremely good cardio. Lots of examples of fighters prove this, Tim Bradley had an amazing physique but couldn't knock the skin off a rice pudding (although I disagree that Joshua is 'not a puncher', he is), Corrie Sanders was fat and not built but had lots of power and speed etc.

Ultimately though Joshua is too bulked up and in such a way that it isn't optimal for boxing, too much muscle mass and clearly not good enough conditioning for boxing. You can get ripped to the bone doing a lot of HIIT cardio but this is useless for boxing training. 

Totally agree that his attitude is a disgrace, seems too rich to care, has too many other irons in the fire be it social media, sponsorship's and other modelling gigs to actually have the heart to be a top heavyweight boxer. Looking forward to see his demise play out further with more fights to be honest.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Rob McCracken appeared to be giving some shitty advice in the corner which Malignaggi I think picked up on, being very basic and not giving much detail. When McCracken was appointed I did question it, he has absolutely no heavyweight acumen (as far as the pro's are concerned). Same reason I question why Joe Joyce has Abel Sanchez, the Sanchez style won't translate to heavyweight well. 

I'd imagine Joshua will be getting a new trainer, there doesn't appear to be a huge amount of quality heavyweight trainers out there anymore but he'd be well advise to look for someone. He doesn't fight like a modern heavyweight, doesn't use the jab well enough, doesn't know how to clinch when he's hurt or even when he gets touched with a shot he shouldn't (like Lewis and Wladimir Klitschko used to) he also needs to learn that a guy of his size should only be throwing 10 power punches a round, at most. 

Should try the guy Golovkin is now with, Jonathan Banks. Banks learned from Steward at the Kronk and trained Klitschko after steward passed. Very technical trainer, a boxers dream. Joshua has so much to work on. He is never going to be the lightest on his feet but there are subtleties that would make him better in that department.

• Like 1

Interesting tweet that i see a guy put out earlier that the WBO mandatory is due at the end of September and that rematch clauses do not trump mandatories.

WBO mandatory.  Dillian Whyte.

11 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Hearns moneybags bargaining power has gone up in flames. 

AJ was pathetic in This fight. Just hardly boxed. Deserved loser. 

I think it's safe to say aj will get obliterated by wilder after seeing that. 

Did Lewis get obliterated by Holyfield after getting knocked out by Rahman ? Boxing isn't that simple .

6 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Did Lewis get obliterated by Holyfield after getting knocked out by Rahman ? Boxing isn't that simple .

Lewis fought Holyfield twice. First was a draw that Lewis clearly won. The rematch Lewis did win and decisively. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, maqroll said:

That was like Butterbean dominating Holyfield

Comparing Joshua to Holyfield ? Seriously man you need to watch some 90s HW fights. If Joshua fought in that era he'd be doing well to get past herbie hide.  And Hide was good. Not really a HW but the depth of talent so big then.

44 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Comparing Joshua to Holyfield ? Seriously man you need to watch some 90s HW fights. If Joshua fought in that era he'd be doing well to get past herbie hide.  And Hide was good. Not really a HW but the depth of talent so big then.

I'm comparing body type

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

We comparing Lewis to aj? For real? Lewis was 10x the boxer of aj. Aj would have got humiliated by Lewis same with wilder

53 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I'd say more like Audrey Harrison. I actually even think David haye on his pwak would beat aj. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â