The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I thought he did really well but was still soundly beaten. There's nothing fancy about Glolovkin is there, he just keeps coming forward and hitting you with accurate painful punches. His footwork is good, I know, but he seems to be able to get power into punches that others just tickle with.

I thought he did really well but was still soundly beaten. There's nothing fancy about Glolovkin is there, he just keeps coming forward and hitting you with accurate painful punches. His footwork is good, I know, but he seems to be able to get power into punches that others just tickle with.

Yes, his hands are insanely heavy and he has very odd angles.

However, I'm more convinced than ever that Andre Ward beats him after last night. Golovkin isn't as effective in the centre of the ring as against the ropes, and Ward's extremely strong, it's unlikely Golovkin, the smaller man, will bully him against the ropes, Ward would likely tie him up and maneuver him back into the centre. Once there Ward will be using that ram-rod jab of his and probably turn it into a very ugly inside fight where he'll be again, clinching Golovkin but use that great ability of his to get punches off on the inside with only one hand free. 

I think that fight would be a very tough night for Triple G, but he'll always have that punchers chance against anyone...

Can anyone recommend a trustworthy ticket/package company for the Mayweather fight.

You have got more chance of a having threesome with Scarlet Johannson, Megan Fox and Jennifer Aniston then getting tickets for the Mayweather/Pacquaio fight.

Yes, his hands are insanely heavy and he has very odd angles.

However, I'm more convinced than ever that Andre Ward beats him after last night. Golovkin isn't as effective in the centre of the ring as against the ropes, and Ward's extremely strong, it's unlikely Golovkin, the smaller man, will bully him against the ropes, Ward would likely tie him up and maneuver him back into the centre. Once there Ward will be using that ram-rod jab of his and probably turn it into a very ugly inside fight where he'll be again, clinching Golovkin but use that great ability of his to get punches off on the inside with only one hand free. 

I think that fight would be a very tough night for Triple G, but he'll always have that punchers chance against anyone...

And I think Glolovkin will be delighted with last night's fight because it's going to encourage a couple of people who've been thinking about avoiding him that it might not be a bad idea to get in the ring. Both fighters have given themselves a chance to improve their careers after last night I think.

Can anyone recommend a trustworthy ticket/package company for the Mayweather fight.

You have got more chance of a having threesome with Scarlet Johannson, Megan Fox and Jennifer Aniston then getting tickets for the Mayweather/Pacquaio fight.

Plenty out there if you don't mind having your pants pulled down over the price. 

Been offered a 3 day package, but i for one will not be paying 6k a pair to sit up with the dust and pigeons!

Edited by Kingman

Isn't that a foursome?

• Like 1

Would GGG move up to super mw to fight ward though, he's not the biggest middleweight as it is, I'd love a catchweight fight with canello, GGG would smash him but it would be entertaining

Ultimately he'll have to move up, Ward won't boil down, he's too big. 

Canelo would probably happen at 160lbs since Canelo himself is getting too big for 154, he'll be up to 160lbs soon. Canelo seems like a likely fight if he gets past Kirkland, as Cotto seems to be keen to duck GGG and Quillin ducked GGG in the past. 

Not a regular in this thread but a couple of observations.

1) if Murray is the 2nd best middleweight in the world I'm the third.

2) Golovkin is good fighter but clearly dopes like a really bad person give his connections to Astana and the Kazakh government. The cycling team was filthy as anything...I'd take a lot of convincing that he wasn't the same.

Well, I'm sure I've read that as a professional, he's never done any random drug testing through the established bodies such as VADA, NSAC and USADA. He obviously made it to an Olympic silver medal, but as history has shown, Olympic testing can be beaten by advances in PEDs.

To be honest, I've long suspected that elite boxers, and elite sportsmen for that matter, are likely to be on PEDs, but then I am cynical. 

The way I see it, and as you point out, he's still a very good boxer. The technique and the heavy handed power isn't going to come from PEDs, but I guess his excellent conditioning most certainly would (assuming he is on the juice). 

I seriously doubt that HBO, or his affiliated sanctioning bodies are going to be keen to ask this question, that's for sure.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Not while he is active, certainly.  Even if he is juicing there is every chance the stuff he is on is ahead of what the testers can detect anyway, it's constantly a game of catch up in that battle is it not? 

GGG - Cotto needs to happen.  Not sure why when I stop to think about it, GGG wins easily, but he needs the name to be able to say he cleared out the division.  After that he needs to move to 168 or wait on Canelo to move up to 160. But even if Canelo does move up he probably won't be taking GGG on in his first bout at middleweight will he?

Been offered a 3 day package, but i for one will not be paying 6k a pair to sit up with the dust and pigeons!

Ringside is $100K a seat.

What exactly are you expecting, seats in the middle rows for $200? Unless you are a millionaire just watch it on telly.

• Like 1

A colleague from New York wants to have a bet with me, he's willing to put $100 on  Mayweather. I wonder if I can slip past the whole exchange rate and say if Pacquaio wins, he owes me £100...

Pacquaio is at least 2/1 so your colleague is still getting a better deal.

This Frampton fight is hugely entertaining. Avalos is playing the pantomime villain perfectly.

TKO.

Avalos just fell to pieces once he realised Frampton wasn't buying into his bullshit.

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â