The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

@ Dr P, yeah, PPV records will be smashed again. They will continue to be broken because PPV and on demand stuff gains market penetration and cultural acceptance with every passing year. By "box office" I mean in terms of cultural impact. It's the once in a generation super fight, it's Tyson Lewis, it's Hagler Hearns, it's Ali Frazier in how it will resonate with the public. I'm just not sure the timing is right for the purists. Imagine how amazing this would have been in 2009 or 2010?

@ Dr P, yeah, PPV records will be smashed again. They will continue to be broken because PPV and on demand stuff gains market penetration and cultural acceptance with every passing year. By "box office" I mean in terms of cultural impact. It's the once in a generation super fight, it's Tyson Lewis, it's Hagler Hearns, it's Ali Frazier in how it will resonate with the public. I'm just not sure the timing is right for the purists. Imagine how amazing this would have been in 2009 or 2010?

Yep that's true - in 2009 we may have had a Leonard Duran 1 type fight, in 2015, it could be more like Leonard Duran 3, two greats out of their primes fighting a relative snoozer. 

The PPV landscape is interesting, especially with Al Haymon taking his stable off PPV and on to NBC, where the reach is much, much greater, I wonder how long PPV will be accepted if Haymon's plan works out.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Anyone willing to hazard a (possibly wild) guess as to approximately what time this will start on May 2nd? I'm helping to organise a stag do for that weekend so need to factor the fight in now.

4am probably. Vegas is 8 hours behind us so it's 8pm there and California and 5pm in New York City. It might even be 04:30 depending on what TV on the East Coast wants.

• Like 1

Biggest box office fight since Tyson Lewis imo, and worth about as much to each fighters legacy as that one was too. Five years too late I think but I'm still really excited by the prospect of it.

It had been rumoured for a while now. Floyd put a Vine up of him negotiating with Manny in a hotel a few weeks ago and two weeks back on another forum I post on a guy said that the MGM Grand had hiked their room rates to $600 a night on May 2nd so people in the know obviously knew. You don't announce a fight as big as this as close to the date as this without already being in training either.

For me a 38 year old Floyd beats a 36 year old Manny on points. Wouldn't surprise me if it were wide either. It still won't resolve the 'who is best?' debate given the age of both fighters nowadays. I think the Manny of 2008-2011 (up to the demolition of Moseley) is more than a match for any Floyd Mayweather. This one who spends more time in politics than he does in the fight caper? Not so much.

It will likely be a joint Showtime/HBO production just like Tyson Lewis was. This will be bigger than Tyson Lewis in terms of PPV records, that's for sure.

For what it's worth I see Pacquiao winning this fight, I'll post a detailed break down as to why later on. Pacquiao has the clear hand speed and footspeed/footwork advantage plus the awkward angles. Mayweather has struggled in the past against fast southpaws, effectively the shoulder roll defence does not work - see the Zab Judah fight as an example of that defence not working very well. Floyd will have to do something pretty radical IMO in terms of adjustments.

I'm quite please to read that Pacquiao has the choice over his own gloves for this fight, a luxury that many recent Mayweather opponents haven't had.

Good point Dr P bur it is at the MGM manny will have to knock him out to beat him

There should be a clamour to get in on the undercard of this one. It'd be nice to see Khan knock Broner out - does that work in terms of weight?

I don't think it does, didn't bronzer struggle when he shifted up whereas khan is quite comfortable at his new weight.

If I'm right it would mean Broner moving up and Khan coming down, I could be way off the mark on that though, quite frankly the weight divisions are a joke these days

Biggest box office fight since Tyson Lewis imo, and worth about as much to each fighters legacy as that one was too. Five years too late I think but I'm still really excited by the prospect of it.

It had been rumoured for a while now. Floyd put a Vine up of him negotiating with Manny in a hotel a few weeks ago and two weeks back on another forum I post on a guy said that the MGM Grand had hiked their room rates to $600 a night on May 2nd so people in the know obviously knew. You don't announce a fight as big as this as close to the date as this without already being in training either.

For me a 38 year old Floyd beats a 36 year old Manny on points. Wouldn't surprise me if it were wide either. It still won't resolve the 'who is best?' debate given the age of both fighters nowadays. I think the Manny of 2008-2011 (up to the demolition of Moseley) is more than a match for any Floyd Mayweather. This one who spends more time in politics than he does in the fight caper? Not so much.

It will likely be a joint Showtime/HBO production just like Tyson Lewis was. This will be bigger than Tyson Lewis in terms of PPV records, that's for sure.

For what it's worth I see Pacquiao winning this fight, I'll post a detailed break down as to why later on. Pacquiao has the clear hand speed and footspeed/footwork advantage plus the awkward angles. Mayweather has struggled in the past against fast southpaws, effectively the shoulder roll defence does not work - see the Zab Judah fight as an example of that defence not working very well. Floyd will have to do something pretty radical IMO in terms of adjustments.

I'm quite please to read that Pacquiao has the choice over his own gloves for this fight, a luxury that many recent Mayweather opponents haven't had.

Good point Dr P bur it is at the MGM manny will have to knock him out to beat him

Maybe, maybe not. Judges are often swayed by the crowd, and Pacquiao will definitely be the one that has the crowd on his side. Every shot that lands by Pacquiao will be cheered, Floyd has never had that sort of affinity with his audience. 

I have a feeling that Pacquiao can steal rounds by flurrying in the last minute, the crowd will go wild and judges could be tempted to score swing rounds based on that. Kind of like how De La Hoya used to win close rounds, or how Ray Leonard 'won' rounds in the Hagler fight. 

There's no doubt in my mind that Pacquiao will be landing big and clean on Floyd, if the much slower Maidana could then Pacquiao, who is a lot faster, more accurate and offers even more awkward angle, certainly can. 

Also, worth noting, if you want to see another fight where Floyd struggled big time with a quick, awkward southpaw then watch the fight with Chop Chop Corley, if I remember correctly, Corley landed some big shots and in one of the rounds had Floyd quite badly hurt. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Anyone willing to hazard a (possibly wild) guess as to approximately what time this will start on May 2nd? I'm helping to organise a stag do for that weekend so need to factor the fight in now.

It'll be around 7:30 PM Pacific Time, so 3:30 AM in Britain...

Edited by maqroll

Maybe, maybe not. Judges are often swayed by the crowd, and Pacquiao will definitely be the one that has the crowd on his side. Every shot that lands by Pacquiao will be cheered, Floyd has never had that sort of affinity with his audience.

I have a feeling that Pacquiao can steal rounds by flurrying in the last minute, the crowd will go wild and judges could be tempted to score swing rounds based on that. Kind of like how De La Hoya used to win close rounds, or how Ray Leonard 'won' rounds in the Hagler fight.

There's no doubt in my mind that Pacquiao will be landing big and clean on Floyd, if the much slower Maidana could then Pacquiao, who is a lot faster, more accurate and offers even more awkward angle, certainly can.

Also, worth noting, if you want to see another fight where Floyd struggled big time with a quick, awkward southpaw then watch the fight with Chop Chop Corley, if I remember correctly, Corley landed some big shots and in one of the rounds had Floyd quite badly hurt.

Floyd is the best counter puncher in the game and best defence, i cant see Manny landing big and clean.

If anything it will be the opposite, Manny leaves himself open by throwing the angled punches, see the Marquez fights and how Manny was counterd pretty much every round. Even Bradley counterd him pretty well.

My prediction is that Manny takes the early rounds on pure activeness, then Floyd adjusts and takes the decision.

Definatley the biggest test either fighter has ever faced

Floyd's legs have gone a bit and he has shown that his defence, which is built on the 'philly-shell', is susceptible to the straight left hand and right hook inside out of the southpaw stance, especially when delivered with speed.

It's a bit silly to say that Pacquiao will not land 'big and clean', especially when much lower quality fighters have done so both in the past (Judah, Corley, Castillo etc) and very recently (Maidana - who is much slower). 

The flip side is of course that Mayweather will have joy countering Pacquiao, Pacquiao will be open to the lead right hand coming in, but then Pacquiao will not be coming forward in straight lines so Floyd will have to adjust to that quickly. Bradley did do a good job countering, especially in the second fight, but Bradley was far much more willing to engage Pacquiao and stand toe to toe than I think Mayweather will. 

I think Marquez is a bad comparison because Marquez is far more aggressive and front foot than Mayweather, Mayweather could show more aggression and willingness to exchange, like Marquez does (Marquez counters best in exchanges) but I'm not convinced he will. 

I always felt Pacquiao would be a terrible style match up for Mayweather, which is precisely why he has ducked him for so long. 

Floyd's legs have gone a bit and he has shown that his defence, which is built on the 'philly-shell', is susceptible to the straight left hand and right hook inside out of the southpaw stance, especially when delivered with speed.

It's a bit silly to say that Pacquiao will not land 'big and clean', especially when much lower quality fighters have done so both in the past (Judah, Corley, Castillo etc) and very recently (Maidana - who is much slower).

The flip side is of course that Mayweather will have joy countering Pacquiao, Pacquiao will be open to the lead right hand coming in, but then Pacquiao will not be coming forward in straight lines so Floyd will have to adjust to that quickly. Bradley did do a good job countering, especially in the second fight, but Bradley was far much more willing to engage Pacquiao and stand toe to toe than I think Mayweather will.

I think Marquez is a bad comparison because Marquez is far more aggressive and front foot than Mayweather, Mayweather could show more aggression and willingness to exchange, like Marquez does (Marquez counters best in exchanges) but I'm not convinced he will.

I always felt Pacquiao would be a terrible style match up for Mayweather, which is precisely why he has ducked him for so long.

I agree on some of your points, however i dont agree that Floyd has ducked Paquiao when its a fact that Manny and his team walked away the first time due to not wanting to participate in testing, but thats a whole different debate

GGG Murray up on Channel 5 shortly. I think the first bell is 22:45, they currently have the undercard on. Can't see anything other than another big KO win from Golovkin.

I agree on some of your points, however i dont agree that Floyd has ducked Paquiao when its a fact that Manny and his team walked away the first time due to not wanting to participate in testing, but thats a whole different debate

I think Floyd played everybody there. As far as I was aware he was always offering the fight to Manny on terms he would never accept. It's like me saying I'll personally give every Villa player £10m in cash if they win The Champions League before 2020. I'll never need to worry about putting my money where my mouth is because the thing I'm promising to do ain't ever gonna happen.

Not a regular in this thread but a couple of observations.

1) if Murray is the 2nd best middleweight in the world I'm the third.

2) Golovkin is good fighter but clearly dopes like a really bad person give his connections to Astana and the Kazakh government. The cycling team was filthy as anything...I'd take a lot of convincing that he wasn't the same.

I've been really impressed by Murray in the second half of this fight.  Make no mistake he is in against a hell of a fighter in GGG, a guy who has just been beating the shit out of everybody who stands before him and Murray is standing up to it tonight.  He'll feel in in the morning of course and it might take a year or two off of his career but Martin Murray is earning a ton of respect from his peers at the moment. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â