The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I don't think it would.  Brook might be champion but he is still a relative unknown outside of core boxing fans, I don't think many fight fans in America knew much about him before last night and it wasn't a thrilling fight.  Khan on the other hand is a household name. My mum knows who he is.  It would be billed as an Amir Khan fight at the moment even though he is the challenger.  It's an Arena show at best I think. 20,000 at the MEN or O2.

The Froch - Groves rematch blew up because the first fight ended so controversially which led to an angle of unfinished business and I think it will be a while before we see anything like that again. 

I don't think it would. Brook might be champion but he is still a relative unknown outside of core boxing fans, I don't think many fight fans in America knew much about him before last night and it wasn't a thrilling fight. Khan on the other hand is a household name. My mum knows who he is. It would be billed as an Amir Khan fight at the moment even though he is the challenger. It's an Arena show at best I think. 20,000 at the MEN or O2.

The Froch - Groves rematch blew up because the first fight ended so controversially which led to an angle of unfinished business and I think it will be a while before we see anything like that again.

Nah I think khan v brook would be bigger then froch v groves. Khan is the biggest name in British boxing right now, even bigger then froch. Whilst other then Froch, brook gets the second highest viewers of boxing events on sky quite significantly. I remember reading his fight v matt hatton was the highest rated boxing card on sky since ricky hatton.

I don't think it would. Brook might be champion but he is still a relative unknown outside of core boxing fans, I don't think many fight fans in America knew much about him before last night and it wasn't a thrilling fight. Khan on the other hand is a household name. My mum knows who he is. It would be billed as an Amir Khan fight at the moment even though he is the challenger. It's an Arena show at best I think. 20,000 at the MEN or O2.

Nah I think khan v brook would be bigger then froch v groves. Khan is the biggest name in British boxing right now, even bigger then froch. Whilst other then Froch, brook gets the second highest viewers of boxing events on sky quite significantly. I remember reading his fight v matt hatton was the highest rated boxing card on sky since ricky hatton.

The problem with this is that there are a huge number of boxing fans who don't watch sky - people like me who will go to the pub for a big fight or watch it on the internet. I like boxing, I follow it casually, I'm no expert but I have a reasonable idea of what's going on - I didn't realise Brook was British until Friday.

Sky create a little bubble world in which those people that are famous for sky are famous in the real world - Khan is, Khan is a recognised celebrity - Brook isn't.

• 2 weeks later...

OKqqef9.jpg

This photo of Khan was on /r/boxing earlier.  He clearly isn't at his fighting weight but does this count as ballooning between bouts? I'm not so sure. 

Some good fights tonight:

Frampton vs Martinez 2 - Frampton dominated the first fight but Martinez is really quite different right now and has been on a great run since he won the title.

Matthysse vs Ortiz - Ortiz is puncher so this could be a fire fight like Matthysse's last bout against John Molina

Estrada vs Segura - potential fight of the year

Broner vs Taylor - Set up for Broner to win, probably with the idea that he fights Matthysse next. Taylor was once considered a top prospect but hasn't lived up to it. He notably lost to current champion Chris Algeri, he struggles against a mover (Broner isn't a mover) but has also been dropped a few times, and Broner probably as a little bit of power at the 140lb limit. Taylor does have some decent fundamentals though so I wouldn't be surprised if Broner struggles. 

Who's on the Frampton undercard? It's on from 7 till 1 so it should have a fair few fights on

Bit late now, but Boxrec is good for all of this stuff:

2star.gif middleweight Eamonn O'Kane   SC Virgilijus Stapulionis   NC ? 12x3

5star.gif super bantamweight Kiko Martinez   SC Carl Frampton   NC ? 12x3

2star.gif super flyweight Jamie Conlan   SC Jose Estrella   NC ? 12x3

1star.gif featherweight Marco McCullough   SC Dmitry Kirillov   NC ? 10x3

2star.gif welterweight Ceferino Rodriguez   SC Mike Miranda   NC ? 10x3

1star.gif middleweight Conrad Cummings   W Robert Talarek   PTS 6 6x3

2star.gif featherweight Willie Casey   W George Gachechiladze   PTS 6 6x3

super featherweight Anthony Cacace   W Dawid Knade   TKO 2 4x3

1star.gif welterweight Matthew Wilton   SC Adam Cieslak   NC ? 4x3

http://boxrec.com/date_search.php?yyyy=2014&mm=09&dd=06&SUBMIT=Go

Â