The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Would be funny if frank warren won the purse bids for this fight and put the rematch on boxnation :-) although im sure froch would relinquish his belt.

No way will froch fight chavez. Chavez is lined up to fight vera next (vera won the first match and was robbed). Also chavez's highest payday was $3 million dollars and froch would earn a lot lot more against groves. All that BS from froch about fighting chavez was too try and lower groves demands and get a bigger slice of the pie....backfired on him now though.

Chavez is a big draw and a big name, it makes sense for Froch to fight him on HBO given Froch wants to have some big fights in America. HBO didn't bother with the first Groves fight and probably won't with a second. I can understand where Froch is coming from from a career perspective, but I'm glad the IBF are enforcing this on him because Groves vs Froch 2 is a much better fight.

Anyway, some watch-able fights are on tonight.

Showtime card has Peterson vs Dierry Jean and Charlo vs Rosado. Peterson is still the IBF champ since the demolition Matthysse handed out was not a title fight. I haven't seen much of Jean but the tape I've seen of him suggests he's a pretty decent puncher who throws a very good straight right hand, I have a feeling he's a very live underdog in this fight.

HBO has Mickey Garcia vs Burogs. Garcia is widely tipped to be a pound for pound star, he is a very thorough technician with outsized punching power. The sceptic in me suggests he is knocking so many guys out because he's very big for the weight, he rehydrates way above the average featherweight. Garcia was dropped by Roman Martinez in his last fight and Burgos has decent power, and has height and reach advantages over Garcia, so could be interesting.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Peterson is a fraud, isn't he?

You could say that. He definitely took synthetic testosterone for a 'medical condition' and then failed to notify the Nevada State Athletic commission, which resulted in his WBA belt being stripped but curiously not his IBF title. Then he got starched by Matthysse but kept his belt because it was a non-title fight.

So there's a sense in which he's a fraudulent champion.

That said I do think he's a good boxer who has had success against guys at the top end of the 140lb division over the last 4-5 years.

I heard something about Froch being ordered to fight Goves again or relinquish his belt? Something about 90 days?

Yeah thats right froch has been ordered to fight Micheal Gove within 90 days because Gove's and the rest of his conservative cronies have threatened to strip froch of his benefits.

• Like 1

Price looks very awkward, he still fights too small for his height, he crouches forward rather than being up right. His lack of effective jab is still there to see. He need to be more like Wladimir Klitschko, up right and powering out a jab rather than pawing with it.

I just finished watching the Peterson fight, good stuff, Peterson was excellent, Jean had his moments but Peterson transitioned from a cagey first three rounds to a very effective pressure fighter who outworked Jean.

I would actually like to see Peterson fight Garcia, I think it would be a very good fight.

Golovkin didn't look all that motivated for this one which is understandable given the opponent and the fact it wasn't on any major network. Still, he put an ass-whooping on Adama.

Hopefully GGG gets some big fights this year instead of primarily fighting sub-standard opposition.

Lee Selby became British and Euro featherweight champ last night.

I won't claim to be a close friend, but we are on nod and mumble 'alright' terms, so clearly in work on Monday I'll virtually be his best friend ever.

I won't claim to be a close friend, but we are on nod and mumble 'alright' terms, so clearly in work on Monday I'll virtually be his best friend ever.

You work with Lee Selby?? Doing what if you dont mind me asking?? Id thought being a professional he would earn enough were he wouldnt have to work.

He is very talented is selby. His brother andrew is even better, I look forward to him turning pro.

Rees v buckland was an excellent fight. It was close but Rees should have got the decision. Cant see how buckland won more rounds then Rees.

Walk in the park win for Golovkin. On Thursday night victor ortiz got ko'ed by collazo the guy who was robbed against Hatton. Seemed another 'quit' job by ortiz though, im sure he could of got up. Defo the end of the road for Ortiz now. Shame as he was a real talent.

No no. don't work with him, I know him and his brother, they're great guys really approachable and have helped promote the local fan owned footy club and do a fair bit locally. Like I say, I'm not claiming to be on his Christmas present list, but I will slap him on the back next time he brings his belts out for us all to admire.

I couldn't make it there last night but a good few of the guys and girls did make it and by all accounts made an impressive amount of noise.

A few people having a big duvet day around here this morning, absolutely nobody interested in an early coffee down the beach.

I won't claim to be a close friend, but we are on nod and mumble 'alright' terms, so clearly in work on Monday I'll virtually be his best friend ever.

Walk in the park win for Golovkin. On Thursday night victor ortiz got ko'ed by collazo the guy who was robbed against Hatton. Seemed another 'quit' job by ortiz though, im sure he could of got up. Defo the end of the road for Ortiz now. Shame as he was a real talent.

Are you serious? He got laid out by a perfectly timed short right hook to the chin, and then took one or two shots to the back of the head before he actually went down, he didn't know where he was after that.

Collazo is very skilful, he can make you look awful because he's slick and a southpaw, he also puts his punches together well. He's not a big hitter as such but that right hook was a peach and Ortiz, well, has never shown a great chin.

Hopefully this gets Collazo some bigger fights, he's clearly avoided because of how tricky he is. Aside from being robbed in the Hatton fight he was also robbed in a fight with Berto when Berto was at his 'peak'. One thing about Collazo is that he has been stopped a couple of times and has tasted the canvas a few times as well, but he is a very fine technician.

Are you serious? He got laid out by a perfectly timed short right hook to the chin, and then took one or two shots to the back of the head before he actually went down, he didn't know where he was after that.

Collazo is very skilful, he can make you look awful because he's slick and a southpaw, he also puts his punches together well. He's not a big hitter as such but that right hook was a peach and Ortiz, well, has never shown a great chin.

Hopefully this gets Collazo some bigger fights, he's clearly avoided because of how tricky he is. Aside from being robbed in the Hatton fight he was also robbed in a fight with Berto when Berto was at his 'peak'. One thing about Collazo is that he has been stopped a couple of times and has tasted the canvas a few times as well, but he is a very fine technician.

Its world level and he didnt even attempt to get up. If it was any other fighter id agree but Ortiz has a history of being a 'quitter' so its only right to be sceptical. He is finished now either way. Would have loved him to fight khan. Would have been an epic fight.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â