The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I could have told you that would happen a couple of hours ago and saved you the bother of having to suffer through it.  Klitschko is an excellent fighter and seems like a thoroughly decent bloke but I'd rather staple my eyelid to a desk than just watch him strangle yet another opponent for twelve rounds. 

Well Cotto 'returned to form' with a 3 round demolition over Delvin Rodriguez.

Rodriguez is what American fans would call a 'Friday Night Fights' (ESPN) boxer who really, HBO were overrating when calling him 'B level'. He's actually C level and has lost to the likes of Theophane and Jackiewiz before (who Kell Brook stopped quite recently).

What we did see from Cotto was a change in style, he has been a lot more patient and defensive over the last 2 or 3 years but last night applied a lot more pressure, cut the ring off like he used when he was at 140lbs and threw a lot more body shots. He was punching with a lot more 'mustard' than he has in recent time and throwing a lot more punches.

I think he probably has a couple of good fights left in him, where I do worry for him is that against a higher quality opponent this high octane style Roach has him fighting in could see him gas in the later rounds, and he has had stamina issues in the past.

But still, they are talking about possible fights against Canelo and/or Sergio Martinez, so could be fun, Cotto brings a fan friendly style and passionate supporters.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Former undisputed world heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis could make a sensational return to boxing, 10 years after his last fight, according to the Daily Mail.

Lewis, 48, said he would face current IBF, WBA and WBO world heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko if he was paid £62.7m ($100m) and claims he was recently offered half of that sum to fight again.

"That is my price tag and it is under discussion," Lewis is quoted as saying.

"I have told them I can be ready in six months and I am in provisional training."

www.bbbofc.com/notices/11-10-13-2

It's on their website. It's up for purse bid with the fight scheduled to take place by February 2014.

It's an interesting fight, they both badly need to win and Price can't go 12 rounds. He will either win big or lose big.

I thought Del Boy looked decent in his last fight and handled a big shot that clearly rocked him really well.

He seems to be taking his career a lot more seriously now, he came into his last fight 3 stones lighter than he did when he fought Fury and has knocked the biscuits on the head

Surely Chisora will win easily. I'm surprised Price is still fighting.

Price has phenomenal power though. Chisora has a great chin but Haye proved he can be knocked out, I think Chisora will win if he actually turns up (ie, without a big beer belly) but Price has a punchers chance.

Ahhhh if this does happen then all I have to say is RIP David Price's boxing career. This is a suicidal fight for Price, at best he has a punchers chance, of course with his power he's capable of landing the big shot and ending it. But Chisora is a stylistic nightmare for Price because he's a pressure fighter  who can fight on the inside. Price is a pathetic inside fighter who looks like the amateur he is whenever someone steps into the pocket with him.

I see Chisora getting close and ending it because although Chisora isn't a particularly 'big' puncher at the weight Price's chin is pure glass.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Lennox was awesome but he's 48 and has been retired for like 10 years, would be suicidal for him to come back. Although for a $100m I'd fight a Klitschko...

For the hell of it, some of my favourite Lewis moments:

Destroyed Andrew Golota inside one round. Many were predicting Golota to starch Lewis as he had just ended the career of Riddick Bowe, he had an incredible amount of hype and Lewis annihilated him:

Getting revenge on Rahman. He and some how manages to get KO'd by him in the first fight, But Lewis' revenge is sweet, one of the best heavyweight KO's I've ever seen.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Looking forward to Bradley vs Marquez later. I'm a fan of both so looking forward to enjoying the fight. I think if Bradley works the jab, shows Marquez a lot of angles and movement he can win the fight.

A good example of this sort of style beating Marquez is Freddie Norwood who beat Marquez way back in 1999/2000

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â