General Chat

AVFCLaura

Worth a read, if you have a few minutes to spare: Confessions of a sports messageboard [underage] cock tease

The description of the messageboards (well, Usenet groups, actually) is just fantastic.

The first group I became active on was the one for the New York Knicks. Used to the quick and ephemeral banter of Talk City chat rooms, I lurked for quite some time, intimidated by the way certain bullying writers could turn an innocent observation into a rollicking flame war spanning dozens of paragraphs and available in perpetuity online. The people who posted on the Knicks group, starved even back then for a championship, had little time for jokes. But I ultimately dipped my toe in — to praise John Starks, natch.

The New York Rangers board, my next stop, was more affable — one user mailed me a carefully curated VHS tape of famous hockey fights through the years, and another said he would send me a copy of the Matteau! Matteau! Matteau! game, although I can't remember if he ever did. There was enough cross-pollination between the various metropolitan-area hockey teams' Usenet groups that about half a year later I began reading other teams boards too, defending the Blueshirts' honor against Devils fans, who were uniformly kind, polite, and informed, and Flyers fans, who were totally not. (The Fishsticks-era Islanders group was a particularly desolate place, populated mostly by sadsack crickets meeping "Fire Mike Milbury!" all through the night.)

If the Islanders thread was an abandoned lot, the Flyers newsgroup was the smutty swingers club down the street. The subject matter consisted of roughly 30 percent hockey talk and 70 percent cheesy banter. Women — called "chippies" – were periodically made the subjects of strange fantasy scenarios and beauty pageant-like rankings. It was virtually impossible to type anything that wasn't immediately twisted into a double entendre. One long-running gag, which preceded my appearance on the newsgroup and which I never fully understood, revolved around sex with Dana Plato's corpse. The newsgroup's official FAQ listed, among other acceptable discussion topics, "Comparisons between Ron Hextall's 5-hole and a prostitute's genitalia."

The Flyers newgroup was my favorite by far.

I'm not sure when I started to lie, but it seemed like no big deal. Upholding a cherished tradition among so many high-school-aged girls throughout history, I shrugged and added two years to my age. Fifteen became seventeen. The truth just sounds different....

(I'm also a sucker for anything regarding late-90s Usenet/listserve culture)

Hm...what exactly are the protestors intentions?

"More on the praying protesters: at the end of their prayers, tear gas was fired at them by the security forces, prompting an angry response from the crowd and many shouts of "Allahu Akbar" (God is great)."

29811_hideousHeroes_admiralAckbar_l1.jpg

:shock: an army and tear gas? wtf is he gonna do?

Is it just me or is Google being a bit odd today? a few times I've clicked on links that have taken me to some random website instead of the one I clicked on

I've used the same excuse in the past. Hopefully you're missus is a little less i.t. savvy than mine.

One of my mates emailed me that her best friends son got to play against Peter Crouch on Thursday for Askrigg,

for a new Mars advert that's due to be aired soon. As the village won a competion to get a £125K grant for sports.

Crouchy came t'up North in a helicopter. Mars held an open bar for the whole village afterwards.

Northern Echo

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â