General Chat

AVFCLaura

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Really good pop music is an absolute art form. As evidenced by “serious” musicians trying to make pop music and **** it up. It’s not easy.

Having said that, what often let ABBA down was their lyrics. Some embarrassing rhymes and strange attempts at English. Lovely songs though, and no doubt my Swedish songwriting would sound silly too.

I dunno, the best abba song imo is pay all your love on me and that song still amazes me that a Swedish bloke managed to rhyme sensible and incomprehensible and the flow of that incomprehensible is brilliant 

More so because i know they split up and I've never dived deep enough in to it to know the truth listening to songs like the winner takes it all the bloke is a proper word removed isn't he?! He cuts deep, I know she says she likes those songs but **** theres a run up gut kick while she's down 

And I've not listened to this yet, it's on Spotify, looking for a new podcast and this was advertised and sounded ok so will listen to it in full at some point, these guys often break down samples (sure I've seen them do something on daft punk)

Edited by villa4europe

The night me and my mates weren't let in to Gatecrasher in Sheffield and ended up in the Students Union who had an ABBA tribute act on is one of the most legendary impromptuly brilliant nights of my 20's.

Another one of those anthem bands whose popularity spans far and wide across age ranges and so on.

Perfect pop innit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Dancing queen in reflex on broad street in your 20s, pissed as a fart. You know what I mean @Xela 😂

I think it would be Flares for Abba, but yes ;) 

• Like 2

My Abba loathing is only driven by my desire to see Ace Of Base lauded appropriately* in the Scandinavian Pop Pantheon™.

*Your concept of appropriate may vary.

• Haha 1

Jay Blades up in court accused of coercive behaviour, including physical and emotional abuse. 

Didn't see that one coming. That's him over I guess unless he proves innocence. 

For those old enough to remember Randall and Hopkirk, will be sad to hear of the passing of Kenneth Cope who played the "Ghost" Marty. He was also in Brookside. Well into his nineties, may I add, so not a bad innings. 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

My Abba loathing is only driven by my desire to see Ace Of Base lauded appropriately* in the Scandinavian Pop Pantheon™.

Ace has some really good songs. Some of the lyrics are pretty sophisticated and progressive, too, if you listen closely.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

3 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

Is that all that you want? 

• Like 1

I see a few of the early released prisoners have already been recalled. It won't being before prisoners are living in tents in secure compounds. Either that, or long queues leading round the corner from the prison gates. 

It makes no sense whatsoever having petty criminals on such strict licence conditions. It totally defeats the purpose of what the Government are trying to achieve.

Early release will not have been greeted as good news by all of them. Some would prefer the organised chaos of prison to the disorganised chaos of the outside world where breakfast is not at 8:00am and clean clothes require pre planning.

On 13/09/2024 at 05:33, GarethRDR said:

I worked in a record store when Ace of Base hit big. Your post has brought back PTSD that I thought I had beaten 

• Haha 1

On 12/09/2024 at 17:36, chrisp65 said:

I’m away next week on mine.

M&S are already selling mince pies in festive boxes. But I was so gobsmacked by this shithousery, that I checked a box. The best before date was 29th September. They are selling festive mince pies with a best before date of September.

You can see why people riot.

Booth’s. Sunday

IMG_3967.jpeg

On 13/09/2024 at 13:33, GarethRDR said:

You know Ace of Base are a nazi loving band right? :) 

Actually, that they have ties to the neo-Nazi movement isn't in dispute, or at all a secret. A few years ago, it was written that Ace of Base founder Ulf Ekberg was once in a Nazi punk band called Commit Suiside. Here's a sample of the band's lyrics, as shared in his article:

448642.jpg?v=1

"Did Ekberg use Ace of Base's success as an opportunity to wipe the slate clean and erase his neo-Nazi past?"

I think I can answer that. Ekberg did not use Ace of Base to hide his Nazi past. Quite the contrary. Ace of Base was a Nazi band, too.

the-more-you-know.gif

I guess you ...

Spoiler

... didn't see the sign.

93r2lk.jpg

• Haha 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â