General Chat

AVFCLaura

12 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Without pissing off the people that sont like music being talked about in non music threads. Abba were and are superb. I proudly own all of their albums and play them fairly regularly. 

I once heard it described as cheesy pop that was done to a really high level.  That, basically, they did pop to a technical level that it had no business ever being at. Which is probably why it's still around today I guess.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, BOF said:

I once heard it described as cheesy pop that was done to a really high level.  That, basically, they did pop to a technical level that it had no business ever being at. Which is probably why it's still around today I guess.

yeah that's pretty much what I think of them

they are "pop" whatever that means but they are arguably the absolute pinnacle of it, I personally like a fair bit of their stuff (blame my mom) but at the very least if people don't like that style of music or its not their personal preference with Abba you should at least be able to acknowledge and respect how good they are at it

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

yeah that's pretty much what I think of them

they are "pop" whatever that means but they are arguably the absolute pinnacle of it, I personally like a fair bit of their stuff (blame my mom) but at the very least if people don't like that style of music or its not their personal preference with Abba you should at least be able to acknowledge and respect how good they are at it

And having that blonde didn't hurt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm glad to see there's been some push back for Sony after their PS5 pro showcase. I was watching it thinking I was just getting old because I couldn't see the differences, but it turns out nobody can.

Oh and they're charging £800 for the disc version 🤣.

3 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

I'm glad to see there's been some push back for Sony after their PS5 pro showcase. I was watching it thinking I was just getting old because I couldn't see the differences, but it turns out nobody can.

Oh and they're charging £800 for the disc version 🤣.

To paraphrase the ign headline "the ps5 pro, the new really expensive way to play PS4 games"

Brilliant 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

I still have Xbox One S, it’s a bit slow but plays everything there is.

I’ll a buy Series X once GTA 6 release date is confirmed.

I've got a ps5 and love it, got it on day 1 after a lot of hard work to find one, play all the big Sony releases, got a PS portal too, spend a lot of money on them

People who buy a ps5 pro for £700 are absolute mugs 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

At their peak, were ABBA considered to be pop music, or disco? 

They were never really disco, disco was an influence for sure. DIsco was a club thing, Abba weren't really a club thing. It's pop and was always considered thus

Just now, bickster said:

They were never really disco, disco was an influence for sure. DIsco was a club thing, Abba weren't really a club thing. It's pop and was always considered thus

I thought as much, as pop music, it is what it is, non-offensive ear sugar, if it was considered disco, I'd be raging. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

ABBA are one of those bands I have to turn off immediately. So annoying. They’re like nails down a blackboard to me

Yep.  I can see they were good at what they did.  But it was of its time.  

It certainly irks me somewhat if it's on somewhere where I can't get away from it.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jon said:

It certainly irks me somewhat if it's on somewhere where I can't get away from it.  

I feel that way about all music - even genres I like. 

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

ABBA are one of those bands I have to turn off immediately. So annoying. They’re like nails down a blackboard to me

You should send out an S.O.S.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Without pissing off the people that dont like music being talked about in non music threads. Abba were and are superb. I proudly own all of their albums and play them fairly regularly. 

Really good pop music is an absolute art form. As evidenced by “serious” musicians trying to make pop music and **** it up. It’s not easy.

Having said that, what often let ABBA down was their lyrics. Some embarrassing rhymes and strange attempts at English. Lovely songs though, and no doubt my Swedish songwriting would sound silly too.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â