General Chat

AVFCLaura

12 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

You're preaching to the faithful there, Brother. I was in jail with many victims of miscarriages of justice. Broadwater  Farm 4, Birmingham 6. Not easy trying to convince people of your innocence, especially once you've been convicted. 

The Michael Stone case is just horrible all round. How he was ever convicted on the evidence offered by the prosecution beggars belief. However, I do think a part of it was it being such an horrific and emotional crime, that, the jury just didn't have the courage to separate the flimsy evidence from the tragic circumstances of the crime. I think they were truly frightened of letting, in their minds, the real culprit walk free. This is a man who has been incarcerated since 1996, and has refused parole for fear of it being Interpreted as an admission of guilt.

As for Lucy Letby, whether she is innocent or not, I guarantee she does at least 30 years before being exonerated, if she does happen to be innocent. The reason being, only the perpetrators themselves, in such cases, really, truly know if they are innocent or not, hence, the authorities satisfaction in getting some punishment administered. 

Would be interested to hear more about your own experiences sir. 

22 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

I've always owned my indiscretions. When I tell people I'm not mendacious by nature, they think, "Hold on, you have been to jail, many of." However, dishonesty and mendacity are distinct from each other in the true sense of the words. I'm not one for glamourisng crime, I think that helped in my kids not going down that same road. I always encouraged my eldest son to work for his money, "That way you'll respect it more," I told him. Thankfully, he listened, so that's my redemption. What I will say is, I never preyed on the vulnerable, never commited any crimes of a sexual nature, never burgled houses, always thought that too personal, I mean, nearly everyone has a house, especially the judge or Magistrate.😉

I'll leave the rest to your imagination, but, rest assured my friend. I sleep very soundly in the night. It's not what's in your head, it's what resides in your heart, just keep that as clean as you can. Be lucky, Brother!!!

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, T-Dog said:

Start a thread please.  Don't use general threads for specific conversations.

• Like 1

I've not heard too much about WHO is doubting the Letby evidence, but I do hope this is not like the MMR fiasco where the press amplified the mental rantings of a rogue doctor to such an extent that an anti vax movement was founded.

If these are a substantial number of "serious" medical professionals then fine, but at the moment I'm suspicious of "a growing number" of doctors.  Especially when I doubt anyone saying that kind of stuff in the press is likely to have the full evidence before them.

And like solicitors, a group of doctors would have more opinions than arseholes if put in a room together.

If they feel the the evidence is unsound they need to put forward a proper scientific paper explaining why that can then be peer reviewed.  Not spouting off to a journalist.

• Like 1

On 26/08/2024 at 20:42, sidcow said:

Went to a Garden Centre today. 

They had a big fenced off area where they proudly announced they were building their Christmas Display, and there was already a significant amount of Christmas stuff on sale including Christmas Jumpers, models and Christmas scenes, a few lights etc. 

I'm away to my summer holidays next week😂

I was going to fire up the Christmas 2024 thread but I couldn't handle the heat that would bring😁

I went to Curry’s last week and they were playing Christmas music, not sure if it was a radio or a TV or what and  It might have been just random, but it was not right either way

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I've not heard too much about WHO is doubting the Letby evidence, but I do hope this is not like the MMR fiasco where the press amplified the mental rantings of a rogue doctor to such an extent that an anti vax movement was founded.

If these are a substantial number of "serious" medical professionals then fine, but at the moment I'm suspicious of "a growing number" of doctors.  Especially when I doubt anyone saying that kind of stuff in the press is likely to have the full evidence before them.

And like solicitors, a group of doctors would have more opinions than arseholes if put in a room together.

If they feel the the evidence is unsound they need to put forward a proper scientific paper explaining why that can then be peer reviewed.  Not spouting off to a journalist.

It's not that, she was essentially convicted on statistics because she was the only nurse that was on duty for all the deaths but it was possible that some of the actions causing particular deaths were taken before she was on shift so that whole basis was rather flawed.

I've not looked into it too much but thats just what I've gleaned from reading around it.

The Owen Jones started championing her cause and I decided she was guilty as charged ;) 

A thirteen year old lad stabbed to death in Oldbury. Truly heart Breaking. Apparently, West Midlands is officially the knife - crime capital of the UK. Mother's and Father's of young inner - city youths must, at times, struggle to cope with everyday life, wondering who that might be knocking the front door.

On 29/08/2024 at 22:04, sheepyvillian said:

I've always owned my indiscretions. When I tell people I'm not mendacious by nature, they think, "Hold on, you have been to jail, many of." However, dishonesty and mendacity are distinct from each other in the true sense of the words. I'm not one for glamourisng crime, I think that helped in my kids not going down that same road. I always encouraged my eldest son to work for his money, "That way you'll respect it more," I told him. Thankfully, he listened, so that's my redemption. What I will say is, I never preyed on the vulnerable, never commited any crimes of a sexual nature, never burgled houses, always thought that too personal, I mean, nearly everyone has a house, especially the judge or Magistrate.😉

I'll leave the rest to your imagination, but, rest assured my friend. I sleep very soundly in the night. It's not what's in your head, it's what resides in your heart, just keep that as clean as you can. Be lucky, Brother!!!

Love this. As @limpid quite rightly suggested, maybe one for another thread, my fault, but you carry yourself well man, obviously fought the system but sometimes that's a lesson in itself. Take care brother.

• Thanks 1

I spend like a millennial apparently. And I hate millennials. Oh god, wait, you're all millennials. I love millennials.

Are you pouring money into day care, car loans or a luxury vacation?

Your spending says a lot about your income bracket and whether you have kids. But there are also generational influences — and a growing gap between how older and younger generations spend money.

“How your generation is spending today comes from what you experienced yesterday,” said Eric Croak, a financial planner in Toledo. “Have you been through a stock market crash? Did you graduate during a recession? How much do you trust technology? All of those things go into how we make financial decisions, what we spend on and how much risk we’re willing to take.”

According to Bank of America research, older Americans are more likely to open their wallets for luxury purchases and health-care expenses, while younger Americans devote money to rising housing costs and tend to be more influenced by inflation.

4 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Oh, sorry. 😞

I was “sharing” Washington Post articles for a while, and it worked, but apparently now one has to create an account (or some similar hurdle) just to read the free article. So I have stopped. I’ll continue sharing NYT articles unless they go a similar route 

8 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

I was “sharing” Washington Post articles for a while, and it worked, but apparently now one has to create an account (or some similar hurdle) just to read the free article. So I have stopped. I’ll continue sharing NYT articles unless they go a similar route 

I wonder if it’s one of those deals where you get one free look and then it’s locked. I clicked the above link and took the test fine. Turns out I’m a mix of everything in my spending habits. 

17 minutes ago, choffer said:

I wonder if it’s one of those deals where you get one free look and then it’s locked. I clicked the above link and took the test fine. Turns out I’m a mix of everything in my spending habits. 

Interesting. Several friends had to do like I mentioned on recent shares. What you say makes sense 👍👍

11 hours ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Well, we just watched the Hot Dog contest on Netflix. 

We were gonna have Hot Dogs for tea on Thursday, I'm not sure I can now. 

Grim. 

Is that the hotdog speed eating competition? Horrible viewing. Can't understand these competitive eating things at all.   Surely it's a matter of time till a contestant chokes to death like that woman recently at a marshmallow eating competition. 

Just bloody stupid and pointless. 

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Is that the hotdog speed eating competition? Horrible viewing. Can't understand these competitive eating things at all.   Surely it's a matter of time till a contestant chokes to death like that woman recently at a marshmallow eating competition. 

Just bloody stupid and pointless. 

Au contraire. It’s the contestants doing the choking. 

A pal of mine messaged me yesterday to say he felt lucky and was hitting the Euro lottery. He messaged me this morning with the wonderful news that he had won 3 pounds and 50 pence, he said, " Better than a kick up the arse." To which I replied, "Just about." 

I'm all for a little flutter, but I've never been tempted by the lottery. I've got a niece who buys loads of tickets but never wins a carrot.

Talking of flutters, Villa 125/1 for the league, well worth an each - way shout. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â