General Chat

AVFCLaura

2 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Stayed last night at a hotel in Sacramento that was on a street called Tribute. It was not the greatest street in the world 

IYKYK

Right on. 

Douglas Luiz was just arriving at my hotel in Goteburg with the Juve squad as I was leaving. Didn’t actually see the bastard to say UTV, but this is another note on the Villa theme of this trip.

• Like 1

No problem parallel parking, but I'll never understand why cars didn't have a 'square parking' mode where the wheels just turned 90 degrees and the car drove sideways into the space. Surely that can't be that difficult? Elon I'm here if you need any help with your next project you absolute mentalist. 

11 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

No problem parallel parking, but I'll never understand why cars didn't have a 'square parking' mode where the wheels just turned 90 degrees and the car drove sideways into the space. Surely that can't be that difficult? Elon I'm here if you need any help with your next project you absolute mentalist. 

Buy some Lego Technic and try it.

I suspect you could only do this with a set of hydraulic wheels which descend and lift the car when parking.

56 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

On 11/08/2024 at 14:48, sidcow said:

Honda had a version of their Prelude (in the US, don't know what it was called elsewhere) 30 or so years ago that had rear wheels that turned in order to make parallel parking and other tight maneuvering easier.   It never caught on.

4 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Honda had a version of their Prelude (in the US, don't know what it was called elsewhere) 30 or so years ago that had rear wheels that turned in order to make parallel parking and other tight maneuvering easier.   It never caught on.

4WS. It was on a couple of generations of Prelude. 

1 minute ago, Xela said:

4WS. It was on a couple of generations of Prelude. 

Latest Range Rover and and Ranger Rover Sport have it. Fun fact, when at low speed the rear wheels turn the opposite way to the front wheels (to reduce turning circle and help manoeuvring in small spaces) but at high speed they turn the same way (to improve handling).

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Latest Range Rover and and Ranger Rover Sport have it. Fun fact, when at low speed the rear wheels turn the opposite way to the front wheels (to reduce turning circle and help manoeuvring in small spaces) but at high speed they turn the same way (to improve handling).

Yeah it was the same with Hondas. Their system was launched in 1987

Four-wheel steering (4WS) is a system that steers the vehicle using not only the front wheels, but the rear wheels, as well. In 1987, Honda introduced the world’s first steering angle sensing 4WS system in the Prelude. At the time of the launch, the name of the technology was Steering Angle Sensing Honda Four-Wheel Steering System (Honda 4WS).

Honda 4WS is a mechanical system that steers the front and rear wheels in the same direction (in phase) or opposite directions (reverse phase) depending on the steering angle. At high speeds, steering angles are typically small, such as when changing lanes, so the rear wheels are turned in the same direction as the front wheels. When greater maneuverability is desired while driving at low speeds, such as on narrow roads or parking the vehicle in a garage, the steering angle would be large, so the rear wheels are turned in the opposite direction to the front wheels. This system achieves both agile and stable maneuvering characteristics and a small turning radius.

Mad to think its nearly 40 years old. That was peak Honda in the late 80s - Prelude, the building of the NSX and the engine work with McLaren in F1.

https://global.honda/en/tech/serial/Honda_Super_Handling_part01/

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

Yeah it was the same with Hondas. Their system was launched in 1987

Mad to think its nearly 40 years old. That was peak Honda in the late 80s - Prelude, the building of the NSX and the engine work with McLaren in F1.

https://global.honda/en/tech/serial/Honda_Super_Handling_part01/

Air suspension another example of a technology on a car that was around on mid-range cars decades ago, went away, then returned as a high end feature.

• Like 1

So the best Edinburgh Fringe joke was shite again. 

I was going to sail around the globe in the world’s smallest ship but I bottled it.

There were better ones in the top 20. Including another from the same comedian. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I was going to sail around the globe in the world’s smallest ship but I bottled it.

I dunno, that's not a bad joke imo.

Looked at the list, most of them are good, winner is ok, agree it's not the best but it's still a good joke, I like 2nd

I've been taking salsa lessons for months, but I just don't feel like I'm progressing. It's just one step forward... two steps back

But that's also something that sounds like it's been stolen from Clinton's card shop

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I liked Sarah Keyworths but then I like her comedy anyway. 

30 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I think, rather mundanely, certain jokes work better live in person than in written form.

92613-e3030d21ba9b94133c4a66826bd9a22e.jpg

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â