General Chat

AVFCLaura

I was talking to my 90 year old neighbour as i did most days back then. Then i fainted. I did it on purpose of course.
"Get your head out the gutter" that's what they say, when they feel that way.
What has the gutter ever done except its job?
**** all yall i think to myself the gutter is EXACTLY where im going to stick my head!!

Turns out i had brain damage and mental retardation long before that happened.

received_264887631255254.jpeg

• Shocked 4

7 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Major fire in my town, and we are on the east coast. Monitoring from nearly 3000 miles away is a bit stressful, to say the least. My house is at least 10 miles away from danger for now, and the fire is moving in the opposite direction, but it’s all at the mercy of wind direction 

Covers over 72,000 acres at this point 

a friend sent me this pic taken last night. His place is maybe a mile from our house, looking northeast in the direction of the fire

IMG-2827.jpg

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Covers over 72,000 acres at this point 

a friend sent me this pic taken last night. His place is maybe a mile from our house, looking northeast in the direction of the fire

IMG-2827.jpg

Horrible.  Hoping the winds die down and cool, moist weather comes in before your house becomes at risk.  California's a scary place in the summer these days.  Fire risk is becoming a factor in my wife's and my decision on where to eventually move to when we're both retired and ready to leave the Silicon Valley chaos.

5 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Horrible.  Hoping the winds die down and cool, moist weather comes in before your house becomes at risk.  California's a scary place in the summer these days.  Fire risk is becoming a factor in my wife's and my decision on where to eventually move to when we're both retired and ready to leave the Silicon Valley chaos.

Thanks, really appreciate it. But moisture of any kind is months away, we usually don’t see anything until after Halloween. This time of year there might be a freak thunderstorm but the rain is next to nothing while any lightning can start new fires 🙄 And our temperatures are still really high, though it is “cooling down” a bit next week. The Paradise fire was less than 6 years ago and the awful memories are still just below the surface 

IMG-0257.png

• Shocked 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Had a bit of a self enforced hiatus from here recently, shit just got a bit real irl Maybe a handful of you might recall some mention of more than a few struggles in the mental health thread, which I relate/chase back to a miscarriage MrsVM and I suffered a fair few years back now, and the odd mention of perhaps giving up on the trying for kids and not wanting to put ourselves through IVF as time marches on for both of us (She hit 40 this year - I'm much closer to 50 now) I know there's a couple of you out there that we have PM'd about miscarriages when you too sadly have suffered them.

Well, I'm happy to share the news that we are expecting a little boy to join us in early December. I still hope I'm not tempting fate by sharing this news - it's a subtle blend of utter joy and extreme terror as we move into week 22 after the journey we've been on to get this far into a viable pregnancy.

It might even be time to finally grow up! :P

But there we are, Didn't think it should go in the parenting thread as it would be a bit presumptuous at this point. I've ummed and ahhed about whether to post anything and apart from the obvious whoring myself out for likes of this post I just wanted to say if there's anyone out there trying to no avail, keep the faith, it can happen when you least expect it.

Mother and unborn baby are doing well at the moment, lets hope it stays that way. Good things can happen.

Yay.

Congratulations and good luck to you both. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Had a bit of a self enforced hiatus from here recently, shit just got a bit real irl Maybe a handful of you might recall some mention of more than a few struggles in the mental health thread, which I relate/chase back to a miscarriage MrsVM and I suffered a fair few years back now, and the odd mention of perhaps giving up on the trying for kids and not wanting to put ourselves through IVF as time marches on for both of us (She hit 40 this year - I'm much closer to 50 now) I know there's a couple of you out there that we have PM'd about miscarriages when you too sadly have suffered them.

Well, I'm happy to share the news that we are expecting a little boy to join us in early December. I still hope I'm not tempting fate by sharing this news - it's a subtle blend of utter joy and extreme terror as we move into week 22 after the journey we've been on to get this far into a viable pregnancy.

But there we are, Didn't think it should go in the parenting thread as it would be a bit presumptuous at this point. I've ummed and ahhed about whether to post anything and apart from the obvious whoring myself out for likes of this post I just wanted to say if there's anyone out there trying to no avail, keep the faith, it can happen when you least expect it.

Mother and unborn baby are doing well at the moment, lets hope it stays that way. Good things can happen.

Yay.

Congratulations mate. Wonderful 

December he may be a fellow saggiterean like me 😆

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Thanks 1

On 25/07/2024 at 18:31, il_serpente said:

Come to Colorado my friend! It's saturated with Californians!

14 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Come to Colorado my friend! It's saturated with Californians!

Are they driving up home prices and is it being to referred to as Californication by the locals, as happened in Seattle in the late '80s?  I don't want to be seen as a villain.   Villan, yes, but not villain.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Yay.

Congrats. Fantastic news. 

Having been through 3 rounds of IVF as a couple, it certainly is an ordeal.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Are they driving up home prices and is it being to referred to as Californication by the locals, as happened in Seattle in the late '80s?  I don't want to be seen as a villain.   Villan, yes, but not villain.

That's basically been happening for the last 15 years. Colorado is expensive and there's a real housing shortage. 

But if you're both retired - don't need to be close to downtown and schools aren't important you could get a lovely 3 or 4 bed / 2 bath for 600-700k. Which if you're selling your California home will leave you about $10 million left in the bank :D

On 25/07/2024 at 17:43, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Thanks, really appreciate it. But moisture of any kind is months away, we usually don’t see anything until after Halloween. This time of year there might be a freak thunderstorm but the rain is next to nothing while any lightning can start new fires 🙄 And our temperatures are still really high, though it is “cooling down” a bit next week. The Paradise fire was less than 6 years ago and the awful memories are still just below the surface 

IMG-0257.png

It looks like the fire is still spreading northward and has stayed north of most of Chico .   Are you in Chico proper?  Is your house still safe?

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

That's basically been happening for the last 15 years. Colorado is expensive and there's a real housing shortage. 

But if you're both retired - don't need to be close to downtown and schools aren't important you could get a lovely 3 or 4 bed / 2 bath for 600-700k. Which if you're selling your California home will leave you about $10 million left in the bank :D

If there's already a housing shortage, us moving there would just make things worse and we'd be seen as evil Californians coming in and taking away housing.   On the other hand, we'd be able to help get rid of Lauren Boebert 😁

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

It looks like the fire is still spreading northward and has stayed north of most of Chico .   Are you in Chico proper?  Is your house still safe?

Very much in Chico proper. We are indeed safe. Still In Rhode Island, we get home very late Wednesday, but for now our neighborhood and surrounding areas are good. We do know people whose houses burned, which unfortunately happens pretty much every fire. 

Thank you for asking 🍻

5 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Very much in Chico proper. We are indeed safe. Still In Rhode Island, we get home very late Wednesday, but for now our neighborhood and surrounding areas are good. We do know people whose houses burned, which unfortunately happens pretty much every fire. 

Thank you for asking 🍻

Glad to hear your house is still safe.  Sorry to hear your friends have lost their houses.  I see it's now 12% contained, which isn't a lot but at least shows a little progress.   My dad and his wife lost their house in the fire in Ventura in 2017.  It's a devastating event in all aspects: physical, mental, emotinal, financial.  Stay safe.  We'll be thinking about you.

56 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Glad to hear your house is still safe.  Sorry to hear your friends have lost their houses.  I see it's now 12% contained, which isn't a lot but at least shows a little progress.   My dad and his wife lost their house in the fire in Ventura in 2017.  It's a devastating event in all aspects: physical, mental, emotinal, financial.  Stay safe.  We'll be thinking about you.

Thanks so much. My family had a bad house fire in 1974. I was 8, house not completely burned but still massively traumatic. My room and all of my stuff was destroyed. Had thought I was over it until the last 10-15 years of fires in CA, it’s definitely been triggering 

1 hour ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Thank you for asking 🍻

Glad to hear you are keeping safe it mist be horrible for you to keep experiencing this

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Glad to hear you are keeping safe it mist be horrible for you to keep experiencing this

Thank you! Most of the homes continually burning year after year are the ones out in the canyons & woods outside of town- stunningly beautiful scenery & expensive homes, but mostly built in places where houses shouldn’t go with respect to fire. We live in town proper in a more traditional neighborhood and are not in a perennial danger zone. At least not for now. 

3 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Thank you! Most of the homes continually burning year after year are the ones out in the canyons & woods outside of town- stunningly beautiful scenery & expensive homes, but mostly built in places where houses shouldn’t go with respect to fire. We live in town proper in a more traditional neighborhood and are not in a perennial danger zone. At least not for now. 

How does the insurance work with this? If these houses repeatedly get fires how do they get insured?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â