General Chat

AVFCLaura

2 hours ago, Genie said:

If you’re feeling technical you could remove the fuse for the alarm and take out the backup battery pack which will be inside.

I think house alarms are limited to 20 minutes anyway aren’t they?

anecdotally  but I don't think that will work 

few years back as part of our kitchen install they upgraded our fuse board to a LCD one (regulations) 

that night the fuse box kept tripping  , followed by the alarm going off shortly after , i had to enter the code and all was good in the world for about 4 minutes until the alarm went off  again .. repeat this for the next 3 hours whilst I waited for ADT to come out ( i basically sat next to the alarm panel so I could deactivate the second it went off and not wake the neighbours  ... the alarm guy arrived he had to go up the ladder and disable the alarm from there until we could find what was causing the problem 

the alarm was doing exactly what it was supposed to do , i.e. if any would be burglar cut the juice to the alarm it sees that as a potential threat 

( the fuse tripping turned out to be a dodgy wire in the house , not an issue for the old wire fuse boards , but it seems RCD ones throw a wobbler over it )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, limpid said:

On your next service visit, you can ask them to change the "at home" zone to just be downstairs.

Yea unfortunately the app was completely down you couldnt get on it at all. It was just stuck on a loading screen

32 minutes ago, picicata said:

The fact your wife suggested it says to me that she has no such qualms about using your shower as a urinal. Probably does it all the time.

You have a point there  she is on the sofa tonight

13 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

anecdotally  but I don't think that will work 

few years back as part of our kitchen install they upgraded our fuse board to a LCD one (regulations) 

that night the fuse box kept tripping  , followed by the alarm going off shortly after , i had to enter the code and all was good in the world for about 4 minutes until the alarm went off  again .. repeat this for the next 3 hours whilst I waited for ADT to come out ( i basically sat next to the alarm panel so I could deactivate the second it went off and not wake the neighbours  ... the alarm guy arrived he had to go up the ladder and disable the alarm from there until we could find what was causing the problem 

the alarm was doing exactly what it was supposed to do , i.e. if any would be burglar cut the juice to the alarm it sees that as a potential threat 

( the fuse tripping turned out to be a dodgy wire in the house , not an issue for the old wire fuse boards , but it seems RCD ones throw a wobbler over it )

In my house the alarm main unit is wired into me of those sockets that’s just a fuse 

PL09225-40.jpg

I was thinking you pop the fuse out, alarm starts chiming as it detects some interference. Then remove the front of the man unit to reveal the backup battery pack, remove that, bobs your mums brother. 

1 hour ago, picicata said:

The fact your wife suggested it says to me that she has no such qualms about using your shower as a urinal. Probably does it all the time.

She probably shits in it as well and just mashes it down the plug hole with her feet

12 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Rolling out a major update on a Friday afternoon. Good work Crowdstrike 

I could understand companies being caught out by azure being fubared, but you're having to roll out emergency fixes to your own systems? If this is so fundamentally broken how did it get rolled out in the first place? It can't be that niche a bug if it's having this impact?

It's been a good decade since I worked in desktop systems but when I did, we used to at least do some smoke tests of core applications before pushing windows updates or security updates out, and we'd initially pick a small cohort. It seems it just gets done on faith in a lot of places?

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Genie said:

In my house the alarm main unit is wired into me of those sockets that’s just a fuse 

PL09225-40.jpg

I was thinking you pop the fuse out, alarm starts chiming as it detects some interference. Then remove the front of the man unit to reveal the backup battery pack, remove that, bobs your mums brother. 

tbh I strut around like I'm a fully qualified electrician if I manage to change a lightbulb in our house  , so I don't know if we even have one of those fuse types on our alarm .. but it could be on ours that the backup battery is inside the alarm itself and hence the ladder job to silence it ? 

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

tbh I strut around like I'm a fully qualified electrician if I manage to change a lightbulb in our house  , so I don't know if we even have one of those fuse types on our alarm .. but it could be on ours that the backup battery is inside the alarm itself and hence the ladder job to silence it ? 

I know my alarm quite well as it went a bit mental last year and so I had to isolate it, open it up and swap the pcb out with a replacement I bought on eBay. it’s not the kind of thing that can be easily done if you aren’t familiar (so in short, it was a stupid suggestion by me :lol: )

Edited by Genie
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

She probably shits in it as well and just mashes it down the plug hole with her feet

Don’t we all? 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, choffer said:

Don't we all? 🤷‍♂️

If the shower is powerful enough you can use a shower as a shitter too. Blast the sucker into tiny pieces with the shower then poke any stubborn pieces down with your toes. 

the-job-got-done-cody-harris.gif

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Anyone been affected by this global IT outage?

Im stuck in my bedroom as my ADT alarm is **** and the app wont let you turn alarm off. FFS 

I cant see what my code is either

IMG-0219.gif

• Like 1

You can tell the schools have broken up - far more police in Brum City centre today. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â