General Chat

Stevo985

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Claimed yesterday he was removing himself from SM permanently.

Not sure I believe that tbh :D 

Probably on the advice of his lawyer

What's the best sort of bicycle lock? I had my bike within a day or two in Finsbury Park years ago, but I just use a cable lock nowadays. Are the U locks better?

Kind of surprised to see cordless angle grinders being used to cut through locks. Jeez. But don't do that in Brighton.

22 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Why else would a boy go to Chelmsford. A girl he met on holiday.  

rik-mayall-bottom.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If someone wants to nick your bike, they're going to nick it. But maybe browse the Lockpicking Lawyer's videos and see what one he rates best and why.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jones1328 said:

Had no idea until today that "anti-angle grinder safe" is a thing. That lock looks like a brute -- but so pricey. This video by a sort of sleazy American programme shows just how long an inexpensive bike lock lasts.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

6 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

What's the best sort of bicycle lock? I had my bike within a day or two in Finsbury Park years ago, but I just use a cable lock nowadays. Are the U locks better?

Kind of surprised to see cordless angle grinders being used to cut through locks. Jeez. But don't do that in Brighton.

One of my favourite things about living In China. I can leave my bike unlocked, with bags and things on it, and not worry about it, no one will touch it. Going to need a decent lock when I get back to the UK but I really want to find one that's also very compact and light. Any recommendations? 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Danwichmann said:

One of my favourite things about living In China. I can leave my bike unlocked, with bags and things on it, and not worry about it, no one will touch it. Going to need a decent lock when I get back to the UK but I really want to find one that's also very compact and light. Any recommendations? 

That's amazing. I read a good essay about biking in China, and it really intrigued me. The thing I see that's new to me at least are folding locks, and they can be very compact. Not sure if they're any good.

81t+d76LFRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Marka Ragnos

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

That's amazing. I read a good essay about biking in China, and it really intrigued me. The thing I see that's new to me at least are folding locks, and they can be very compact. Not sure if they're any good.

81t+d76LFRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Yeah I've seen those online as well, curious to know if they are any good. I do a lot of touring on my bike, so I have packs strapped everywhere and no space for a lock, I can't work out where I'll put on. 

• Like 1

On 20/06/2024 at 00:06, Danwichmann said:

Yeah I've seen those online as well, curious to know if they are any good. I do a lot of touring on my bike, so I have packs strapped everywhere and no space for a lock, I can't work out where I'll put on. 

Ah, I see. I admire you bike tourers. Tried it once, but it was so hot, and my butt so sore, we didn't last long lol. I guess the thing I've always thought is that if you have a bunch of touring bags, can't you put the lock in one of those? Maybe it's time to take this over to the Cycling thread:

9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Nights are drawing in.

German Market will be here soon. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Saw something I never expected on site today, guy erecting a marquee in our site compound, shirtless, no PPE but did have a bike helmet on, on a step ladder...

Pulled over the health safety manager for a giggle, told me the guy is a 76 year old Serbian "just walk away..." Officially not working on site he was just in the car park

Hed basically told us leave him alone or him and all his guys will walk off

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Saw something I never expected on site today, guy erecting a marquee in our site compound, shirtless, no PPE but did have a bike helmet on, on a step ladder...

Pulled over the health safety manager for a giggle, told me the guy is a 76 year old Serbian "just walk away..." Officially not working on site he was just in the car park

Hed basically told us leave him alone or him and all his guys will walk off

Unionised, nice work!

Edited by lapal_fan

23 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Ah, I see. I admire you bike tourers. Tried it once, but it was so hot, and my butt so sore, we didn't last long lol. I guess the thing I've always thought is that if you have a bunch of touring bags, can't you put the lock in one of those? Maybe it's time to take this over to the Cycling thread:

spacer.png

• Haha 3

What's with this Jay Slater then? 

Something isn't adding up for me. 

Dead or a con? The just giving funds must be adding up by now. 

Hard to believe they haven't found a body yet, he can't have travelled THAT far from where his last location was pinpointed needing water as he said. 

With all the volunteers, helicopters and drones you would think they'd have found a body by now, unless murdered and buried. 

Something isn't right about this though. 

• Like 1

Â