General Chat

AVFCLaura

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Having not lived in Brum for fifty years, I always have to remind myself that a Brummie roundabout is an 'island'. 

I’m glad you posted this , Thorpe park is down my neck of the woods and I was thinking …what Island’s ? 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Wow, I always thought this would be impossible to top. 

I always love it when someone driving like an absolute spunktrumpet crashes. 

There was some helmet driving his Seat Leon earlier like a brain donor. I prayed to God/Allah/Shiva that he'd lose control, end up in a ditch and need to be cut out by the fire brigade. Perhaps he'd lose a leg, or an arm. Then he'd get done for driving without any insurance or tax. 

Alas, I didn't see any of the well deserved vehicular karma. Perhaps next time. 

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Without looking it up, name any of the first four Jackson Album's before Off the Wall

Jackson, the songwriter, undoubtedly talented, Jackson the musician and arranger? Not so much

Jackson the choreographer, talent. Jackson the entertainer, genius.

Even some songs in there for our VT extremists. 😀

Earth song

Man in the Mirror

Black and white

They don't care about us

Heal the World

Stranger in Moscow

6 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Talking about kids, my 7 year old has just found Micheal Jackson on YouTube, watching him learn the dancing is classic.

Which got me thinking, whatever you think of him, MJ was a absolute genius of music. Those concerts ( ive been watching) he did were out of this world, to say you were there when he first did the moonwalk, I can't comprehend, what an entertainer, they'll never be anyone like him ever again. Unfortunately for us all we have now is Ed Sheran.

As an entertainer he was the best. Weird as **** as a person, with a **** up upbringing, but as a showman, he was second to none. 

All I listened to as a kid was Jacko. Off the Wall, Thriller and Bad albums were near pop perfection. I had his earlier albums as well as a load of compilations, both individually and as part of the Jackson Five.

• Like 2

Many of MJ's moves were a direct lift from Liza Minelli's friend Bob Fosse.

BF's performance in 'The Little Prince' is so very Jackson.

Moonwalking and being sinister around children.

th-583890054.jpg.a7694eebff67e143773483c0a2b136ae.jpg

• Like 2

I haven't lived in the west midlands for 20 odd years now, but I remember doing some warmups with a PT a couple of years ago and his look of absolute bafflement when I used the word gambole.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Jackson the choreographer, talent. Jackson the entertainer, genius.

Yep, when I was a kid I was a massive fan (hehe) 

But as I watch it back now I'm not actually that fussed about his live stuff, even the motown 25 performance... He's a dancer, he ain't singing, so much of his "live" stuff isn't live and even when it is there's loads he misses out cos he's too busy dancing 

As I've got older that's not my thing, give me a proper band any day 

Dunno if his music has lasted the test of time or if it's just fading away because of who he turned out to be, not much of his stuff ticks the classic box imo only 5 to 10 songs, I listen to the Jackson 5 more 

12 hours ago, bickster said:

Quincy Jones has far more and it's no coincidence that Jacksons three greatest albums (Off the Wall, Thriller and Bad), the three that made him a global superstar, were all produced and arranged by Quincy Jones

Jones even says that Jackson stole a lot of songs from elsewhere (He specifically named Donna Summers State of Independence for Billy Jean as one example)

Sadly, QJ is a bit of a word removed from what I've heard. Very annoying as he is obviously very, very good.

VT'ers may not know that the Austin Powers theme was actually an old QJ tune. (Perhaps for the useless trivia thread.)

On 07/08/2022 at 13:14, foreveryoung said:

Talking about kids, my 7 year old has just found Micheal Jackson on YouTube, watching him learn the dancing is classic.

Which got me thinking, whatever you think of him, MJ was a absolute genius of music. Those concerts ( ive been watching) he did were out of this world, to say you were there when he first did the moonwalk, I can't comprehend, what an entertainer, they'll never be anyone like him ever again. Unfortunately for us all we have now is Ed Sheran.

He's the GOAT. Literally.

On 07/08/2022 at 13:47, tonyh29 said:

randomly , i saw a clip yesterday when MJ appeared on stage at some concert in South America  and thousands of people screamed ..and screamed ..and screamed some more 

he literally stood there for about 2 mins as grown adults , male and female screamed at him to a point of frenzy 

He was just one of those few people who could entertain a crowd just by being there. People like Mick Jagger, Freddie Mercury, Elvis hell even "The Rock" with his crowds.

Whatever you think about their music or entertainment, they just had that something that made people go mental. And MJ is probably the best example imo.

His Superbowl performance, they have such a limited time to perform and he spends about 2 minutes just standing there. But the crowd are going absolutely wild

• Like 1

On 07/08/2022 at 20:15, Xann said:

Many of MJ's moves were a direct lift from Liza Minelli's friend Bob Fosse.

BF's performance in 'The Little Prince' is so very Jackson.

Moonwalking and being sinister around children.

th-583890054.jpg.a7694eebff67e143773483c0a2b136ae.jpg

I believe Jackson openly admitted that Jeffrey Daniel taught him the "moonwalk". Which isn't actually called the moonwalk, it's called a backslide. A different move is the moonwalk but Jackson preferred the name.

I believe the inventor of the move is widely thought to be Bill Bailey (not that one) in the 1940s/50s

On 07/08/2022 at 12:52, tonyh29 said:

guess it should have gone in the boring thread  but  ,  was out last night ( sober as with the kids ) , came home , unlocked the doors and let us in 

this morning my door keys are nowhere to be seen , I've turned the house upside down looking for them , even looked in the washing machine and the freezer as I got an ice cream out , checked the bins , under the sofa everywhere  ..

We can't have got in the house without them  and Mrs H is away so I can't blame her ,  even allowing for my daughter inheriting my sense of mischief , I have to believe the kids  when they say they haven't seen them 

so , I'm at the point that I'm hoping one of the neighbours cats  decided to come in the house when I wasn't looking and  steal my keys .. cause the alternative is I'm at that point in life where I start looking at Dignitas on the internet 

Behind the toilet. If you spent a chocolate penny they might have fallen out of your pocket while around your ankles. I've gone days without keys only to find them at the base of the bog.

10 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Even without the child abuse, I've always found the adoration for Jackson utterly baffling (similar to the way I feel about Elvis)

Definitely one for the Things You Don't Get thread.

His music is iconic so I think it’s fair (purely for musical reasons).

Even my kids know and like a number of his songs. They also know and do some of his dance moves.

As someone else mentioned, his current day equivalent is probably the likes of Ed Sheehan or Adele. 

Edited by Genie

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â