General Chat

AVFCLaura

Just now, bickster said:

Or Greta Thunburg

I would imagine she would be in favour of such a place , though I’m not sure where she would park her yacht  :)

(Yes ,  I know it wasn’t her yacht )

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

Sounds like a huge prison. Or one of those big blocks out of Judge Dredd.

All your needs catered for. Unless you are gay. Or a Christian. Or are critical of the ruling family. 

I'd 'Liv' there. 😂

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s a really really good idea, because the one thing they are desperately short of in Saudi is spare land.

And we’ve all spent the last couple of years  learning how great it is to all live in really close proximity.

14 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Saudi’s are planning a “linear city ” 170km long housing 9 million people 

Looks impressive if they can pull it off 

Looks like that Nazi holiday camp taken to it's logical conclusion.

A Nazi era resort town redeveloped and open for business

• Like 3

Wasn't sure where to put this. 

A very hard watch. A lorry driver distracted by his phone and the inevitable happens. Anyone who messes about with their phone while driving needs to see this and realise how stupid they are. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Xela said:

Wasn't sure where to put this. 

A very hard watch. A lorry driver distracted by his phone and the inevitable happens. Anyone who messes about with their phone while driving needs to see this and realise how stupid they are. 

I'm on the road alot, an the amount of people I see on there phones, even when they could just link it to there car is shocking. I look a few times when overtaking, you can see them swerving nearly out the lanes, an low and behold they are either typing or have the phone to there ear. Truck drivers are forever going out there lanes and I've also seen many swerve onto the hard shoulder onto the rumble straps. More needs to be done, as if it wasn't for other drivers being aware there would be lots more accidents.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

You think cars will be able to perfectly read every single scenario and react perfectly? 

Better than humans is surely the question

• Like 1

Just now, Genie said:

They won’t be. They’ll be programmed by humans for a start.

That’s not a tenable or logical argument when you get into how these things work. 

Flight Control Systems and autopilot are “programmed by humans”. They (FCS) are better and safer than humans at controlling aircraft flight. Super expensive because they’re DAL A software and hardware, but the pilot is pretty much just there as a monitor in reality in modern airliners, for example.

10 minutes ago, blandy said:

That’s not a tenable or logical argument when you get into how these things work. 

Flight Control Systems and autopilot are “programmed by humans”. They (FCS) are better and safer than humans at controlling aircraft flight. Super expensive because they’re DAL A software and hardware, but the pilot is pretty much just there as a monitor in reality in modern airliners, for example.

Cars are a completely different kettle of fish. Theres much less for planes to hit than cars. They will have to make thousands of serious decisions every trip. Then every other car around them, inches away, is trying to do the same on an every changing landscape.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Cars are a completely different kettle of fish. Theres much less for planes to hit than cars. They will have to make thousands of serious decisions every trip. Then every other car around them, inches away, is trying to do the same on an every changing landscape.

Not really, not from a technical perspective. It’s much more difficult to fly a plane than drive a car for either man or machine. It’s 3 dimensional, not 2. It’s faster and while distances are greater, time is similar. So the thing is, whether human or machine, the job is to detect stuff ( e.g. objects, conditions etc.) and then calculate continuously how to react to those things and then to actually implement an action…then repeat…it’s the same process for both cars and planes.

57 minutes ago, Genie said:

You think cars will be able to perfectly read every single scenario and react perfectly? 

They absolutely will do. People will die along the way, but less than die currently and reducing as time goes on. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

They will have to make thousands of serious decisions every trip. Then every other car around them, inches away, is trying to do the same on an every changing landscape.

This is exactly why they will be better than humans. They're better at multi tasking and not distracted. 

My only real worry is software failure. That's going to be the thing they really need to get right.  I don't fancy hitting Ctrl Alt Delete halfway along Spaghetti Junction. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

This is exactly why they will be better than humans. They're better at multi tasking and not distracted. 

My only real worry is software failure. That's going to be the thing they really need to get right.  I don't fancy hitting Ctrl Alt Delete halfway along Spaghetti Junction. 

The software is exactly the issue. We’ve seen lots of examples where autonomous cars don’t recognise a lorry or the suns reflection off the wet ground freaked it out. There’s thousands of these scenarios waiting to be discovered every day.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

The software is exactly the issue. We’ve seen lots of examples where autonomous cars don’t recognise a lorry or the suns reflection off the wet ground freaked it out. There’s thousands of these scenarios waiting to be discovered every day.

Yes, and they're being discovered every day. They're doing millions of miles of motoring all the time right now, constantly learning. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â