General Chat

AVFCLaura

40 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I am not certain on this but is the NFL draft pick like this?

Slightly, but not quite.

The NFL Draft can't quite have an equivalent to football because it's reliant on the college system to provide a never ending supply line of prospects, rather than academy systems, and then game-ifying the process to decide the order that teams get those prospects.

The closest thing you could maybe get to it in football would be something like creating a system where free agents are held from signing for clubs and then an event is held were clubs take turns to pick up each free agent with the order based on various criteria.

It's a format that doesn't really work in football. You'd need to change the business model within the industry entirely. Which perhaps wouldn't be the worst thing, but it'd never happen.

• Like 1

The closest thing you would get in football would be in the youth set up was centralised and ran independently from the PL clubs and then at the end of each season the PL clubs get to take turns to pick one, we don't have the college sports to then feed a draft set up, it's all in house at each club 

The interest comes because you already have teams with varying degrees of quality and ages and wages, for example if villa were on the board right now we need a CM, a LB and a striker, what if the best player available at that pick was a potentially world class 10/10 CB? Do we pass on him and take the 8/10 CM because we need one more? You can imagine how the discussion would go on here, we need a back up left back, when we come to take one theres 7 available, you think we would all agree on which one we get?! And then you throw in stuff like we need a CM but we have the 6th pick, we all have a favourite that we want to get and we have to hope and pray that the teams before us don't take him before us

It is fun, you can go in to more depth and look at the value of various positions and the also with the NFL you have to factor in rookie contracts and the salary caps etc which make sit even harder to get right 

Im sure there are an increasing number of fantasy football games that do it the yank draft system way, so you and a group of mates do a league together, you take it in turns picking and for example Harry Kane only exists once, VVD once, Ederson once etc etc you are on the board 6th who do you want, which position do you prioritise

it's fascinating IMO, this is the first year I really got in to pre draft podcasts and rankings etc to try and work it all out and follow it, in reality it's near impossible because there's so much college football

1 hour ago, Genie said:

This would actually be really cool, wouldn’t work but great in theory

A bluenose on a what's app group put that up. I said Blues would still have no signings 😂

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Anyone else remember when you used to be able to get a one year passport from the post office? Am I going mad or was this a thing? 

It was a thing. I went to France in the early 80s and had a one year passport from the post office. Basically a folded piece of card if memory serves. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

It was a thing. I went to France in the early 80s and had a one year passport from the post office. Basically a folded piece of card if memory serves. 

Yeah, like a cream/yellow folded card. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Maybe one for the Tech Thread but curious if any of the more tech savvy if you ever use plus or subdomain addressing for emails when signing up for things?

All the time. I also do web testing and use variations on my email address firstnamelast name+123@gmail.com etc. Incrementing the numbers each time. As for signing up, I use + and the name of the site. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

All the time. I also do web testing and use variations on my email address firstnamelast name+123@gmail.com etc. Incrementing the numbers each time. As for signing up, I use + and the name of the site. 

Have any issues using the + sign? 

On 10/06/2022 at 20:41, sidcow said:

Anyone else remember when you used to be able to get a one year passport from the post office? Am I going mad or was this a thing? 

Was called a British visitors passport , you just needed a photo and your birth certificate to get one .. think it was only valid for European countries   .. fairly sure I went to Ostrava for the villa game on one in the early 90’s so guess they were phased out mid 90’s 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Have any issues using the + sign? 

No. Never. For me at least I have a Gmail address, and it always works and websites always accepts +. 

• Like 1

On 10/06/2022 at 19:03, Genie said:

This would actually be really cool, wouldn’t work but great in theory

its great for the players you're buying but what about the ones you're losing? it could properly depress you

imagine, weekend before the season starts..."and, man utd are pleased to announce their new goalkeeper...emi martinez!"

you'd be raging...especially if you'd already bought your new shirt with a player name on the back who you only find out is leaving just before the start of the season

it would indeed be box office and a fun watch, as long as your team had a good window!

Edited by tomav84

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

its great for the players you're buying but what about the ones you're losing? it could properly depress you

imagine, weekend before the season starts..."and, man utd are pleased to announce their new goalkeeper...emi martinez!"

you'd be raging...especially if you'd already bought your new shirt with a player name on the back who you only find out is leaving just before the start of the season

it would indeed be box office and a fun watch, as long as your team had a good window!

It all adds to the drama! 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â