General Chat

AVFCLaura

40 minutes ago, limpid said:

I own at least 5 different kinds of USB type-C cable.

When you say diffeeent kinds what do you mean? In terms of brand? As i thought type c cable where all same size?

31 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

GB isn’t covered by this EU legislation, we could end up with different chargers to the rest of Europe.

Apparently it was negiotaed with brexit that we would do the same according to the bbc

46 minutes ago, limpid said:

I own at least 5 different kinds of USB type-C cable.

That's the great thing about standards - there are so many to choose from. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Apparently it was negiotaed with brexit that we would do the same according to the bbc

No, I don’t think so. That only applies to Northern Ireland, not GB.

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

When you say diffeeent kinds what do you mean? In terms of brand? As i thought type c cable where all same size?

I have basic, PD, high speed data, power only and ALT.

The connectors are the same size, but they all do different jobs.

9 minutes ago, limpid said:

I have basic, PD, high speed data, power only and ALT.

The connectors are the same size, but they all do different jobs.

This might sound like a stupid question but whats difference between all of them? Would it just be speed?

20 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

No, I don’t think so. That only applies to Northern Ireland, not GB.

From Click

But under the current post-Brexit arrangements, the European Union ruling would apply to Northern Ireland, EU and UK officials have told BBC News.

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I think that confirms my version..

The EU ruling would apply to Northern Ireland. That is what EU and UK officials have told BBC News.

Yeah its abit wierd as the bbc also say they have asked the government for clarification but then the article your implying the uk will be adopting the same

The reality is, unless our regulations become stricter than the EU, we're just going to get what they regulate for, so companies don't have to make different product versions for the UK and EU.

There may be exceptions when companies can save money by cutting corners just in the UK, but typically we'll be subject to their rules, with no say in their rules. Rule Britannia.

• Like 1

Politically, we are looking for points of difference from the EU. For this first consumer choice thing to come along it will be interesting to see what the government decides. It could go either way, but using our new found freedom to choose to copy the EU wouldn’t sit well with some tories.

Apple will probably go cable free charging and get everyone to buy an apple cable free charging point.

47 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

This might sound like a stupid question but whats difference between all of them? Would it just be speed?

1. Basic is the original low level power and data.
  2. PD (power delivery) is high speed charging for devices that support it. There are various power ratings. As far as I know all PD leads nowadays can carry DisplayPort - but not all devices can drive DisplayPort.
  3. High Speed is higher speed data, but with basic power
  4. Power only has no data capacity. For the people with good OPSEC hygiene using public charging points.
  5. ALT is an ALTernative mechanism used to power and supply data to some monitors (like DisplayPort over USB type-C). I have one monitor which needs this and it's my portable screen so actually gets a lot of use.

1, 3 and 4 also exist with USB and USB2 with type-A connectors.

You need USB3 for 2 and 5. I don't know if DisplayPort runs over USB3.0 type-A or if it's an extension only to type-C.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah its abit wierd as the bbc also say they have asked the government for clarification but then the article your implying the uk will be adopting the same

It doesn't. You are misreading the comma. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, limpid said:
  1. Basic is the original low level power and data.
  2. PD (power delivery) is high speed charging for devices that support it. There are various power ratings. As far as I know all PD leads nowadays can carry DisplayPort - but not all devices can drive DisplayPort.
  3. High Speed is higher speed data, but with basic power
  4. Power only has no data capacity. For the people with good OPSEC hygiene using public charging points.
  5. ALT is an ALTernative mechanism used to power and supply data to some monitors (like DisplayPort over USB type-C). I have one monitor which needs this and it's my portable screen so actually gets a lot of use.

1, 3 and 4 also exist with USB and USB2 with type-A connectors.

You need USB3 for 2 and 5. I don't know if DisplayPort runs over USB3.0 type-A or if it's an extension only to type-C.

Homer-yells-nerd.gif?resize=299,218&ssl=

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

far as i know , Apple own the patent on USB-C anyway  so presumably they wont lose out in all this , even if they might have to redesign the iPhone at some point 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â