General Chat

Stevo985

39 minutes ago, Xann said:

It's funny looking at how the best album ever changes down the timeline.

The Clash, Oasis and Radiohead - Really? Feck off.

That's like you can't follow your own point isn't it, Dave? I mean the list is bound to change over time as more music is added to the pool to choose from, and some of it will be "bester" than what was already there. Oasis is quite derivative, but massively popular,  Radiohead I can't see why there's a problem  - they have made a number of genuinely great albums, and the Clash for a brief time were huge, too, though perhaps none of their albums is consistently brilliant - they all had a bit of filler on. But they were something different, which (given that everything, pretty much, is to an extent evolved from something else) plus their message ought to count.

Anything that I can put on again and again and enjoy every time is "bestest" to me, at least. A whole chunk of those 60s & 70s albums are decidedly ordinary, to me.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, blandy said:

That's like you can't follow your own point isn't it, Dave? I mean the list is bound to change over time as more music is added to the pool to choose from, and some of it will be "bester" than what was already there. Oasis is quite derivative, but massively popular,  Radiohead I can't see why there's a problem  - they have made a number of genuinely great albums, and the Clash for a brief time were huge, too, though perhaps none of their albums is consistently brilliant - they all had a bit of filler on. But they were something different, which (given that everything, pretty much, is to an extent evolved from something else) plus their message ought to count.

Anything that I can put on again and again and enjoy every time is "bestest" to me, at least. A whole chunk of those 60s & 70s albums are decidedly ordinary, to me.

Perfectly put.  I'd have "What's The Story...?" as one of my all time top albums as it captured a moment, and that moment has stayed with me.  The music brings it back to life.

I played that CD so much as a teenager, if it would've had an unwanted tattoo on its underside I'd have lasered it off by the time I went to University.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, blandy said:

... Oasis is quite derivative, but massively popular,  Radiohead I can't see why there's a problem  - they have made a number of genuinely great albums, and the Clash for a brief time were huge, too, though perhaps none of their albums is consistently brilliant...

:) You're arguing against yourself with 'The Clash' (noble but come on, they're shit!) and Oasis (whom I'm genuinely fond of, but a musical non event).

I'm not a Radiohead fan, but I'm not going to tell you 'Ok Computer' was crap. Though on the 2012 Rolling Stone list, the highest rated album is 'Kid A' at number 67.

'Kid A' is the only Radiohead album on my shelves. I remember its AMG rating when I bought it, a highly average 3 stars. It's a 5 star album now.

Obviously a lot of these lists are a bit silly because everyone has a personal take on them, but in the greater scheme of things I'm thinking you'd get a better balanced list if an album had to be out there for at least a decade before it could be included.

This discussion came about because we were discussing 'Blue Lines' btw

It's taken a bit of a dive since the day.

7 minutes ago, Xann said:

This discussion came about because we were discussing 'Blue Lines' btw

It's taken a bit of a dive since the day

That's a, er, Massive Attack on a good album. I think it's maybe "taken a bit of a dive" because back then it was different, but now others have subsequently done that thing better. It's still pretty good for me.

The Clash are not shit, you naughty person, you.

Anyways, these lists - I kind of think the only use for them (other than filling a page or an hour on the telly) is to look at them, see if there's anything on them I've not heard, and then go and have a listen, just in case.... From time to time something will come up that is (to me) worth then going and buying.  

• Like 1

Any 'greatest' or 'best' list is always going to be daft. They only work as a buyer's guide and conversation starter.

On Radiohead though, and taking into account what I've just said, I always hold the high opinions of Kid A (and Amnesiac) in suspicion. They're good albums, very good even (and feature some cracking songs - I'll fight anyone who doesn't have Pyramid Song in their top Radiohead tracks) but they're not Radiohead's best. I always felt the retrospective love for them was more a reaction to the universal love of OK Computer and the world that album comes from, than the quality of the albums themselves. Hipsterism before hipsters were a Thing.

7 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I always hold the high opinions of Kid A (and Amnesiac) in suspicion. They're good albums, very good even (and feature some cracking songs - I'll fight anyone who doesn't have Pyramid Song in their top Radiohead tracks) but they're not Radiohead's best.

You and whose Army? Even with knives out you're a trifle Optimistic and you forgot to admit "I might be wrong". Anyway, everything in it's right place. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

Only one Schmeatles Album in that list of Mike's and it was 1971...

Just shows how soon they were forgotten and ignored until Michael Chapman came along. 

Thing is, it was ZigZag readers, a very specific subset of rock fans of the day. The magazine's content was heavily weighted to US west coast stuff (hence Notorious Byrd Brothers being so high, etc.) I think the primacy of The Beatles was a given, but the voters were keen to demonstrate their hip credentials with stuff like Love and Quicksilver. 

Incidentally, I own every album on that list, and the only ones that I don't love are by the band that stayed hip with the punk and post-punk generation - The Velvet Undergound. 

EDIT: Oh, and Beefheart and the ISB. 

Edited by mjmooney

31 minutes ago, bickster said:

Only one Schmeatles Album in that list of Mike's and it was 1971...

Just shows how soon they were forgotten and ignored until Michael Chapman came along. 

there is 2 on that list

Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road

Edited by tonyh29

Apparently certain people are outraged over a scene in the new Peter Rabbit film where an animated rabbit has berries thrown at him even though he is allergic to them....WOW.

I hope to god they never see a Wile E. Coyote cartoon or heads will roll.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Xann said:

'The Clash' (noble but come on, they're shit!)

Blimey, you're definitely going on the list now, Dave. :o

2 hours ago, blandy said:

The Clash are not shit, you naughty person, you.

Ah, that's better. :)

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Apparently certain people are outraged over a scene in the new Peter Rabbit film where an animated rabbit has berries thrown at him even though he is allergic to them....WOW.

I saw this earlier. 

The world really is going mad.

joking aside, it's a serious issue. People are becoming outraged/offended by everything and it's causing major problems in society IMO. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Pitchfork do their 'best album lists'  in decades. I like that. 

Any list without Kanye in the Top 10 isn't worth considering anyway :trollface:

College Dropout would genuinely be in my top 10 of all time. Maybe even top 5

• Thanks 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

College Dropout would genuinely be in my top 10 of all time. Maybe even top 5

MBDTF for me. A stunning record from start to end. 

I love them all though, even 808's

Still yet to drop a brick, he's on one of the greatest streaks of all time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I saw this earlier. 

The world really is going mad.

joking aside, it's a serious issue. People are becoming outraged/offended by everything and it's causing major problems in society IMO. 

Its quite saddening that people are literally dying of Hunger and Thirst in the world and countless other unimaginable things are happening and we actually have idiots devoting time and energy to show their outrage at what animated rabbits are doing in a film.

Fair enough get behind something and fight your corner but make it worthwhile at least.

• Like 2

From what I could 'e the outrage of the Peter rabbit film is that the scene in question involves mocking the allergen sufferer to the point he needs a fecking Epipen. Normally I would agree 'e all going mad but for a kids film and an audience of youngsters who have imitation practically coded into them that was a real miss by the BBFC

Edited by Rodders
Autocorrecr

3 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

probably the same people giving Tesco abuse for having a  mum and child icon on their trollies  ... like anyone gives a monkeys

Â