General Chat

AVFCLaura

yep, been giving blood for about 30 years I guess

It can be a little bit uncomfortable sometimes, you can feel a little prick as they say, but on the grand scale of things it's nothing compared with a proper scratch from thorns or brushing nettles. It's minor, but your mind can spin it into a big deal. I stopped for a few years because I'd sort of started thinking about it too much. You just have to relax into it. Certainly as soon as you are done it's completely fine other than you walk an inch taller because you might have just saved someone's life.

Give it a go. There might be biscuits.

As for organ donation, that's another easy way of doing something really good. But tell your family it's what you want. Regardless of whether you've signed up, if the family hesitate it can prevent good use being made of the bits once you don't need them.

Both me and the missus have an agreement that the hospital can do what they like with the body once we're done. To the point where we'd both be fine with the cadaver being used for students to practise on.

But then, over here we're only a few months away from the rules changing and you have to opt out, not opt in, for organ donation.

• Like 2

Yep, I give blood regularly (although now that we mention it I haven't done it for about a year, I need to correct that!)

Nothing to be scared about. You feel a sharp scratch when they put the needle in but it lasts for a second and then it's done. It doesn't really hurt, just a bit uncomfortable.

You don't even see the blood if you don't want to. They store it under your bed as it's coming out so as long as you don't go looking for it, you basically will never see it. Just stare up at the ceiling and you won't see a thing.

You can feel a bit light headed afterwards. But it's not like they take the blood and then immediately shove you out the door. They let you lie there for as long as you need to. So just take your time and don't jump to your feet. Get up slowly and if you feel light headed lie back down for 5 minutes. 

Then you go and have a sit down and they give you tea and biscuits.

The only after effects are a slight bruising around where the needle went in. But even then it's minor and doesn't happen to everyone. I've never had light headedness later on in the day after I've given blood

• Like 1

The plus side of giving blood is that you can get drunk really easily afterwards! (i think they advise against that though!). It's also good for your health, if you have high BP.

It's a pieceof pee in all honesty (unless you are genuinely scared of needles - then I'd think twice).

I'm not scared of needless. Its the actual process or seeing my bloody drain that slightly bothers me. I'm going to take a can of 'man up' with me and just get on with it. It's good to know what to expect though. Strangely I only know one other person who gives blood, or at least speaks of it.

The thought of doing something goodness farm outweighs my irrational fear of seeing my own blood in a bag.

Like I said, you won't see the blood. 

It sits on a shelf that's sort of under your bed so unless you go looking for it you won't even know it's there.

If it really bothers you just look at the ceiling and you won't even know it's happening once the needle is in there.

In Ireland you used to get a free pint of Guinness after donating.  Not sure that's still the case but it might be.  Seemingly it has a lot of the goodness (and iron) needed to recover more quicklier :P

In Ireland you used to get a free pint of Guinness after donating.  Not sure that's still the case but it might be.  Seemingly it has a lot of the goodness (and iron) needed to recover more quicklier :P

My dad was once prescribed (in effect) Guinness by his GP.

• Like 2

1/2 a pint of guinness was prescribed to pregnant women low in iron (as part of an iron rich diet)

Also I cant give blood In Ireland as I lived in the uk in the 90s If I could I would 

1/2 a pint of guinness was prescribed to pregnant women low in iron (as part of an iron rich diet)

Yep, he had low iron and the doctor told him to drink a can of Guinness every day.

I'm starting to think Chrisp65 is me. His last post, word for word, applies to me, too. Saved me writing it in fact!

probably age and experience related

I'm doing another monologue later on low bladder pressure.

• Like 1

Got a parking ticket today. My own stupid fault, I didn't didn't see the permit only signs, they were behind a transit van. The warden must have been waiting for me because I was away for 6 minutes.

It does make me wonder where the money from the tickets go though. I suspect towards paying the wardens wages.

I didn't want to post in the "VT piss you off thread" as it does and it certainly should.  So today, we were called into a "3 line whip" management meeting (meaning everyone has to attend).  We were told the awful news that our manager who has been ill for a while has advanced stomach cancer and the prognosis is low. 

I've only been working with him for like 2 months (but knew him for years before) and I could see my career going places.  He is a joy to work with and is the most loveliest of people I've ever had the pleasure to meet.  For the past month or so he has been on reduced hours knowing things could be bad, was given the option to be on sick but still continued to come and see us in the office and try to help us further our careers.  During the time he was obviously not looking well and was looking increasingly gaunt, but still came in to ask if there's anything he can help with.  I've joined a small team (only 5 of us, including him).  It's a shitter of a day to put it mildly. My thoughts and wishes this evening go to him and his family (raising a pint of mild).  

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â