General Chat

AVFCLaura

I've been sent one of those "we have $18m on deposit and we need your help to get it " letters

nothing remarkable about that  , but this one came via the post and the sender paid €.72 to send it to me from Portugal

on the basis I wasn't singled out , this person must presumably have forked out a few hundred quid on these letters  ... are they bonkers , or is the strike right surprisingly higher than expected (i.e greater than zero)

• Like 1

Would the 72c not make you think it might be real Tony?  Just send him half the money and see what happens.

I'm a bit short at the moment ..if you could just send me your bank details I can take the initial deposit from you and then we can split it equally down the middle 60/40 in my favour

I've been sent one of those "we have $18m on deposit and we need your help to get it " letters

nothing remarkable about that  , but this one came via the post and the sender paid €.72 to send it to me from Portugal

on the basis I wasn't singled out , this person must presumably have forked out a few hundred quid on these letters  ... are they bonkers , or is the strike right surprisingly higher than expected (i.e greater than zero)

I would assume that sadly it is because the strike rate rises dramatically when you target elderly people and most of them dont have email addresses.

edit - not saying you have been singled out as infirm just yet Tony but you get the idea.

Edited by villaglint

This is true. Old people (no, not me, you words removed, OLD people) always seem to take letters seriously - even junk mail - and think they need to respond, rather than just binning it.

Without being ageist, as already mentioned old people are very vulnerable to this.

My mom works at a retirement complex (like an old people's home but they live there independently, have their own apartments etc)

A resident got done a while back when a guy knocked on her door, stated he was from "her bank" and needed to take her bank card for inspection. I shit you not.

He was dressed in tracky bottoms, a t shirt and a cap and looked more like a homeless man than a bank representative.

She handed over the card no bother and he cleared her account.

My father in law died very very unexpectedly last week. He was 48, no sign of illness, went to sleep for an afternoon nap, had a heart attack and never woke up.

It is a very close family so everyone is obviously devastated. Over the last few months he and I had just built an extention on our house.

He was a carpenter by trade but turned his hand to pretty much everything, only trades we had in was an electrician and a plumber.

He was a great man and will be sorely missed.

Sorry to hear that.  Our neighbour at the time died the same way years ago.  He too was a lovely man who would do anything to help anyone and all of his family are close family friends.  Although taken too soon, if it brings you any comfort at all, I wouldn't pass dying in my sleep if I had a choice in the way I went up to meet the maker in the sky.  RIP and condolences to you and your family.  

• Like 1

A resident got done a while back when a guy knocked on her door, stated he was from "her bank" and needed to take her bank card for inspection. I shit you not.

He was dressed in tracky bottoms, a t shirt and a cap and looked more like a homeless man than a bank representative.

Hmmm, how do you know what he looked like if you weren't there?    :detect:  :ph34r:

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â