General Chat

AVFCLaura

It sure would have been better of without us, after we're gone I'm sure it'll slowly recuperate.

No way man, if humanity is going down I'm taking all those bastard cats with me.

Cats suck. Let's leave the planet to the apes, that worked out pretty well in that one movie.

Dunston Checks In?

That's the one.

• Like 2

What negative effect upon the planet earth have human beings had?

Pollution and killing all the animals.

I doubt the planet gives a flying bollock about either of those things.

'Pollution' - what do you mean by that? Something that attacks the current ecosystem? Why is that a problem for the planet?

'Killing all the animals' - I guess the planet will just get some new ones if that's the way forward (otherwise, there'll just be a lot of new, different organisms).

You seem to be making the mistake of viewing the world in human terms (i.e. that normality is the snapshot we take now).

The Earth is not a human planet: it's a planet that is currently inhabited by human beings.

Tomorrow, it will be a planet that won't even remember human beings.

Edited by snowychap

What negative effect upon the planet earth have human beings had?

Pollution and killing all the animals.

I doubt the planet gives a flying bollock about either of those things.

'Pollution' - what do you mean by that? Something that attacks the current ecosystem? Why is that a problem for the planet?

'Killing all the animals' - I guess the planet will just get some new ones if that's the way forward (otherwise, there'll just be a lot of new, different organisms).

You seem to be making the mistake of viewing the world in human terms (i.e. that normality is the snapshot we take now).

The Earth is not a human planet: it's a planet that is currently inhabited by human beings.

Tomorrow, it will be a planet that won't even remember human beings.

Humans can only think in human terms since they only have human brains to think with. And I don't think I'm making the mistake you think I make. Humans are hardly a force for good when it come to nature and the eco as an whole.

Edited by useless

Humans can only think in human terms since they only have human brains to think with.

That's not quite as much nonsense as I originally wanted to call it.

The problem with what you're posting is that you're looking at the Earth and talking about it in human-centric terms. That is nonsense.

This planet is not a 'human' planet. Humans are a transitory fleck of dust on Earth/Mother Nature's 'gilet'.

Edited by snowychap

Humans can only think in human terms since they only have human brains to think with.

That's not quite as much nonsense as I originally wanted to call it.

The problem with what you're posting is that you're looking at the Earth and talking about it in human-centric terms. That is nonsense.

This planet is not a 'human' planet. Humans are a transitory fleck of dust on Earth/Mother Nature's 'gilet'.

It's not nonsense at all in fact it can be reduced even further, to the fact that individuals can only ultimately see the world from their own perspective since they only have their own brain with which to perceive it. Of course there is empathy.

I don't quite get the rest of your point in relation to what I've written. It's not human-centric nor have said anything to suggest that I think the planet is a human planet. It seems like you have something to say and I kind of agree with it, but it doesn't make much sense as a reply to what I've written.

It's not nonsense at all in fact it can be reduced even further, to the fact that individuals can only ultimately see the world from their own perspective since they only have their own brain with which to perceive it.

As I said, it wasn't quite as much nonsense as I originally wanted to call it, in that there is something to the idea that knowledge - rather than experience - limits understanding and perception and imagination.

That wasn't, though, what I was criticizing (and it wasn't what you were alluding to). You were talking about 'the Earth' in terms relative to us (human beings) as we and the ecosystem around us exist now. The Earth is not that.

Unless we destroy it (and by destroy it, I mean destroy it as opposed to destroy a suitable environment for 'us' to survive), it will continue to survive whether or not you exist, or I exist or big cats exist. It may not be recognizable as the planet of today but it will still be The Earth (though we may not be around to verify that - and that sounds like a truly 'existential threat').

Edited by snowychap

It's not nonsense at all in fact it can be reduced even further, to the fact that individuals can only ultimately see the world from their own perspective since they only have their own brain with which to perceive it.

As I said, it wasn't quite as much nonsense as I originally wanted to call it, in that there is something to the idea that knowledge - rather than experience - limits understanding and perception and imagination.

That wasn't, though, what I was criticizing (and it wasn't what you were alluding to). You were talking about 'the Earth' in terms relative to us (human beings) as we and the ecosystem around us exist now. The Earth is not that.

Unless we destroy it (and by destroy it, I mean destroy it as opposed to destroy a suitable environment for 'us' to survive), it will continue to survive whether or not you exist, or I exist or big cats exist. It may not be recognizable as the planet of today but it will still be The Earth (though we may not be around to verify that - and that sounds like a truly 'existential threat').

That ultimately we can only perceive the world from our own individual brains isn't an idea but a fact.

I wasn't talking about the earth relative to human beings, although I was talking about it relative to nature in general, so I guess your point still stands. But like I say there is no denying that humans have had a bad affect on the planet as it exists today and that damage could still be affecting the planet and it's ecosystems long after we've gone.

That ultimately we can only perceive the world from our own individual brains isn't an idea but a fact.

I'm not sure that's true, I think we do a lot of things which require us to view the world without a "human filter". Most mathematics and applied sciences require models which aren't natural to land apes. In these fields thinking human is a handicap.

Sadly, it's not only big cats that are in trouble. Extinction events are part and parcel of nature, but one can't help feel especially shitty about the ongoing crisis because humans are the problem.

It's not quite at the levels of a big extinction event yet, but it is certainly heading in that direction.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â