General Chat

AVFCLaura

Is it bad to go to K fried C and still have an Indian later?

I've just realised I've not eaten since 7am yesterday

With the amount you drink of a weekend that's the least of your worries.

Actually that's not true. Yes it's bad for you physically. Morally no, **** it, have away.

• Like 2

Went to Worcester Christmas fair today (it was wank but that's another story) but the amount of kids I saw walking about with the e cigarette vapour things was unbelievable. Smoking is now acceptable in public is it? So much so kids knocking about smoking those things is ok?

Yep yep yep!

Ah, you just made me remember about the little girl who did the voice of Ducky in The Land Before Time and her incredibly sad story. Way to bring me down on my birthday.

• Like 1

I can't find another thread to stick this in, so this will do (I like to think of General Chat as the dumping ground for miscellaneous posts).

Alexei Sayle's Marxist Demolition of Strictly Come Dancing

Thus the propaganda role of the talent show is to promote the idea of simplicity over complexity, of popularity over talent, of banality over genuine invention because complexity encourages critical thought and critical thought is the enemy of authoritarianism. Or to employ another quote beloved of radicals, it was my distant relation film-maker Albert Mayles who stated: “Tyranny is the removal of nuance.”

• Like 1

The people that once bestowed commands, consulships, legions, and all else, now concerns itself no more, and longs eagerly for just two things - bread and circuses! Juvenal

can agree with the sentiments about removing nuance from public discourse in general, but seems like an odd show to pick up on it. Harmless light entertainment, unlike something more revolting like the X-Factor, but that's neither here nor there I suppose. As much as personally I can't be arsed with watching those shows, I wouldn't say that the inherent existence of the show undermines critical thought ( although it's hard to avoid hearing the bill hicks paraphrased line "here's your **** american gladiators people, eat this shit up, forget the world, more **** american gladiators ...")  but the obsession with the way they're marketed to a saturating of public consciousness is the problem. 

Edited by Rodders

I can't find another thread to stick this in, so this will do (I like to think of General Chat as the dumping ground for miscellaneous posts).

Alexei Sayle's Marxist Demolition of Strictly Come Dancing

Thus the propaganda role of the talent show is to promote the idea of simplicity over complexity, of popularity over talent, of banality over genuine invention because complexity encourages critical thought and critical thought is the enemy of authoritarianism. Or to employ another quote beloved of radicals, it was my distant relation film-maker Albert Mayles who stated: “Tyranny is the removal of nuance.”

If Strictly Come Dancing was the only thing the BBC produced, or if it only produced shows of that kind, then fair enough. But it isn't and it doesn't, so that's bollocks.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â