General Chat

AVFCLaura

Just got fitted for  crown on a lower molar. You'd think that in the year 2014, dentistry wouldn't still be so barbaric. The back of my shirt was soaked in sweat when I walked out of there. I never want to see the inside of a dentist office again.

Just got fitted for  crown on a lower molar. You'd think that in the year 2014, dentistry wouldn't still be so barbaric. The back of my shirt was soaked in sweat when I walked out of there. I never want to see the inside of a dentist office again.

I agree, lack of air conditioning in this day and age is a disgrace.

• Like 2

How much did that set you back 

I am going to see Hans Zimmer in London in a month. it's the first time he's been here and from what i've seen of the live show it's spectacular. 

When you go through his scores, they are just immense. 

For me he is the greatest film composer ever. 

Williams captures the character of the film with his music

Zimmer captures the emotion of the viewer who's watching the film

both exceptional but Zimmer music is just more suited to my tastes. 

If you put Time over pretty much any sporting achievement, it's pretty epic. 

Start 1 min 2 second

Start from beginning
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19120461 

"ooooh Look at the time"

Or

Start from beginning

Start from 5 minutes 10 seconds 

• Like 4

I am going to see Hans Zimmer in London in a month. it's the first time he's been here and from what i've seen of the live show it's spectacular. 

Jealous. I'd definitely love to catch that show. I absolutely love the Inception score. I loved the movie too, but an amazing soundtrack really makes a movie stick in your mind.

When you go through his scores, they are just immense. 

For me he is the greatest film composer ever. 

Williams captures the character of the film with his music

Zimmer captures the emotion of the viewer who's watching the film

both exceptional but Zimmer music is just more suited to my tastes. 

If you put Time over pretty much any sporting achievement, it's pretty epic. 

Start 1 min 2 second

Start from beginning

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19120461 

"ooooh Look at the time"

Or

Start from beginning

Start from 5 minutes 10 seconds 

hans zimmers greatest tune ever 

Edited by Meath_Villan
  • Like 1

I've grown to really dislike movie scores. I find them obtrusive. For some films, like LOTR, I can buy into it because of the whole fantastical and epic scope of the films. For most films, however, I could live without them. The best scores are, invariably, those that choose their moments wisely, rather than at every opportunity in order to elicit a response.

He's definitely a bit special, but John Williams is still king in my book. I'd be ecstatic writing just one incredible memorable movie theme, but the guy's been churning them out for decades now. He's inexplicably amazing at writing legendary film scores.

E.T, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Schindler's List, Jurassic Park, Superman, Jaws, Saving Private Ryan, Home Alone. I bet most people alive today would know at least one piece of music from those films, let alone love it. The mind boggles with how talented the man is.

• Like 3

I've grown to really dislike movie scores. I find them obtrusive. For some films, like LOTR, I can buy into it because of the whole fantastical and epic scope of the films. For most films, however, I could live without them. The best scores are, invariably, those that choose their moments wisely, rather than at every opportunity in order to elicit a response.

Well I can't say I'm surprised that it's you who would come out with something like this ;)

Movie scores are intended to elicit a response. They're meant to add another layer to the storytelling and make the audience feel the moment.

I mean, I'm surprised you like any movies at all if you're concerned about certain cues and techniques that are trying to force you into feeling something.

I mean, I'm surprised you like any movies at all if you're concerned about certain cues and techniques that are trying to force you into feeling something.

Good directors aren't obvious when using the tricks of the trade, though. Shitty films are obvious and predictable. It just so happens that 90% of what is released in the cinema falls into the latter.

Ain't my fault that y'all are suckers for an 80s soundtrack and superheroes in peril.

I think the main difference here is that you think predictability in a film is always a bad thing. It isn't. Sometimes it's okay to switch off and enjoy a film.

Perhaps you're just not the sort of person who can switch off and get caught up in an action film and just enjoy the spectacle. There's nothing wrong with that, but there are plenty of people who like films for different reasons. I love a film with a great story and fantastic characters, but blockbuster action flicks are just as fun too depending on my mood.

It's like music. People like music for different reasons. Someone who likes to dance is probably going to like pop or dance music whereas it's not really my sort of thing. Just because I don't like it all doesn't mean it's necessarily shit. If we all liked the same thing then it'd be a pretty boring life.

As for 80s soundtracks and superheroes, well that just takes me back to my childhood. I've always been a big kid deep down and nostalgia is a great feeling to experience.

Edited by Ginko

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â