General Chat

AVFCLaura

Yep, like I said, I would have full on pooped it.  When things are going a bit rough during flights, I usually look for the cabin crews reactions, because if they look scared, that's the time to panic.

I'd have been curled up in a ball crying my eyes out I imagine :D

First the news story this morning about increased terrorist threats on flights from heathrow, now your story about fires on planes.

None of this is helping me look forward to my flight on Saturday!!

Yep, like I said, I would have full on pooped it. When things are going a bit rough during flights, I usually look for the cabin crews reactions, because if they look scared, that's the time to panic.

I watched her phone call with the pilot closely even though I couldn't hear it and if she was scarred she didn't show it , she hung up and ten calmly directed the other crew members , as you say that definitely helps

Crew did well tbf , it's hard to say how serious a fault it was , but any technical fault and fire at 30,000 ain't exactly a picnic

I'd have been curled up in a ball crying my eyes out I imagine :D

First the news story this morning about increased terrorist threats on flights from heathrow , now your story about fires on planes.

None of this is helping me look forward to my flight on Saturday!!

I'd just read that article in the paper and then felt the change of direction .., it did pop into my head as well :)

Surely it would be trans-Atlantic flights that (Islamist) terrorists would target? US and UK, two birds with one stone.

Yeah probably. I think the extra checks are on the US flights.

But still, I don't need reason and logic behind my fears!

Was listening to a podcast this morning that discussed the conspiracy theory of Paul McCartney dying and being replaced by a lookalike.

Does anyone agree with it or is it a load of nonsense?

Was listening to a podcast this morning that discussed the conspiracy theory of Paul McCartney dying and being replaced by a lookalike.

Does anyone agree with it or is it a load of nonsense?

Jesus, is that still doing the rounds? 

You couldn't make it up. Oh wait, somebody did. 

• Like 2

So why aren't you terrified every time you get into a car? Way, WAY more risk of death than on a plane. 

Because the thought of plummeting to one's death is scarier to me than statistics.

• Like 2

So why aren't you terrified every time you get into a car? Way, WAY more risk of death than on a plane. 

Rationality doesn't come into it when 40,000 feet up.  Plus the difference is if it goes wrong in a plane, you're screwed.  You are more than likely to survive a car crash.

Rationality doesn't come into it when 40,000 feet up.  Plus the difference is if it goes wrong in a plane, you're screwed.  You are more than likely to survive a car crash.

Rationality doesn't come into it in either scenario. The fear of being in a plane is understandable, but largely misplaced. The lack of fear in a car is totally misplaced. 

If we really thought about it we would never drive (which might not be such a bad thing). 

Rationality doesn't come into it in either scenario. The fear of being in a plane is understandable, but largely misplaced. The lack of fear in a car is totally misplaced. 

If we really thought about it we would never drive (which might not be such a bad thing). 

I do actually totally agree.

There are admittedly a lot of things to go wrong in a plane, it's a complex bit of kit. One mistake in construction... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxDS3rt-Dec

I think the difference is, if I got in my car this morning and there was an illiterate, scared, sweaty Palestinian kid in the back seat, I'd get back out and walk to work.

As others have alluded to, irrationality is what makes it a phobia.

I know there's more chance of me dying in my car. Or the bus I take to work every day.

I know it's irrational for me to fear an upcoming flight.

But I can't help it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not actually a blubbering mess when it comes to flying. You wouldn't be able to tell from looking at me that I'm not a good flyer.

I just get nervous.

Even though I'll be in Thailand in 3 days, all I can think about at the moment is the flight.

It's irrational, but like I said, that's what makes it a phobia

With driving a car, at least you have control over what you are doing and so you have a sense of safety. Of course you that doesn't stop the BMW driver who's tailgating you from trying to overtake on a blind corner but at least with your own car, you know what you are doing.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â