General Chat

AVFCLaura

Yeah I know, was just saying the new generation of musicians have nothing about them. Townshend when he does appear still seems his old self to a degree which is good. What new allegations?

There aren't any new allegations, I think Mike just means that some people bring that up when talking about Pete Townshend.

Yeah I know, was just saying the new generation of musicians have nothing about them. Townshend when he does appear still seems his old self to a degree which is good. What new allegations?

I saw the who tour last year

Whilst it's true Townshend can still play by my reckoning his brother Simon was playing more of the leads than Pete was... He did a few solo pieces at various stages but I think age is starting to catch up with him

Regarding dvds, I've got The who live at the IOW, which I bloody love. Also have live at kilburn, the kids are alright and I've also got another one but I can't remember the name of it. You ever see the original lineup live mooney?

Twice.

1973, the Quadrophenia tour in Manchester (where I managed to get on stage, stood just behind Townshend's amp, and about three feet from Moon. The word 'awesome' doesn't do it justice) and 1974 at Charlton (with Lou Reed, Humble Pie, Maggie Bell, Lindisfarne - and Bad Company in their debut gig). 

Good times. 

as gig memories go, you've got a couple of crackers there that would be pretty hard to top

• Like 1

I saw the who tour last year

Whilst it's true Townshend can still play by my reckoning his brother Simon was playing more of the leads than Pete was... He did a few solo pieces at various stages but I think age is starting to catch up with him

he's a great musician and a very underrated guitarist imo. Ok he aint no blackmore,page or even iommi but his lead playing was underestimated I think. Maybe age has got to him like you say.
  • Like 1

His rhythm guitar work is exceptional. They were never a guitar hero type of band, anyway.

...is the right answer.

Yeah he was classed as a rhythm guitarist but I think his lead playing live was underrated. Nah your right though they were more a drum hero band. Moon was the lead player in that band.

...as was Entwistle!

His rhythm guitar work is exceptional. They were never a guitar hero type of band, anyway.

...is the right answer.

Yeah he was classed as a rhythm guitarist but I think his lead playing live was underrated. Nah your right though they were more a drum hero band. Moon was the lead player in that band.

...as was Entwistle!
true, he played bass like it was a lead guitar.

Ay mooney, tonight on bbc4 at 10.20. Troubadours, the rise of the singer-songwriter. James taylor and a few others mentioned, then straight after that live performances from elton john,james taylor,cat stevens,harry nilsson,sandy denny,steve goodman,joni mitchell,neil young. Sounds up your street.

Searching For Sugar Man is on before it, which is brilliant. 

OK, catching up a bit. This should probably be in the TV thread, but whatever. 

Yeah, I watched Troubadors (again). I have it on DVD, but that whole genre is indeed right up my street. 

And I also watched Searching for Sugarman, which is indeed utterly brilliant. Although I had vaguely heard about the Rodriguez saga, this was the first time I'd heard his actual recordings. Wow. Fantastic stuff, will be purchasing both albums, sharpish.  

And he seems like a top bloke, too. 

I remember a while ago (probably going back a few years) recommending Rodriguez to you Mike, as I had the feeling he would be right up your street. Glad you finally had a listen  ;)

As for the documentary, it's a brilliantly put together piece or work, and as you say he comes across as a top fella.

I have to thank David Holmes and his Free Association for introducing me to him (not in the literal sense of course).

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â