General Chat

AVFCLaura

I might be receiving a sponsorship to go to university for 3 years. It has to be a course in journalism, I just don't know which one to go for. I hope I get the sponsorship, would be very cool to win something (being a Villa fan).

Has anybody ever been to uni as a mature student?

Not university but last year at the age of 27 I did the NCTJ Diploma in Journalism at City of Wolverhampton College. It was only a year-long course too. If you're looking to get into the newspaper branch of journalism in particular then make sure the journalism course at the university you go to is accredited by the NCTJ. That's the best bit of advice I can give you.

Edited by Ginko

I might be receiving a sponsorship to go to university for 3 years. It has to be a course in journalism, I just don't know which one to go for. I hope I get the sponsorship, would be very cool to win something (being a Villa fan).

Not university but last year at the age of 27 I did the NCTJ Diploma in Journalism at City of Wolverhampton College. It was only a year-long course too. If you're looking to get into the newspaper branch of journalism in particular then make sure the journalism course at the university you go to is accredited by the NCTJ. That's the best bit of advice I can give you.

That's what I'm doing :) bit nervous about it all!

Not had a great day at work. My cousin who robbed my grandad started down our place about 2 weeks ago. Anyway me and the lad I've work with had to go out on this job where he was working. It turns out my cousin has been giving it the big un behind my back. I'm still fuming over that money he robbed anyway so I didn't need much pushing, ended up dropping the little prick. Rang my boss up and explained everything and he saw my side of things and has had a word with the little prick about keeping his gob shut. I hate him that much I wish he would drop dead and that aint a nice thing to say. Working with the rat tomorrow aswell.

Mate he's very lucky, he's been a horrible rat all his life and I've always let him off but robbing off my grandad was the last straw. Don't make a habit of hitting people if I'm honest but he's pushed me way over the limit. Had a private word with him after just letting him know that next time it will be serious. Ive had phone calls over the years off people you don't really want to upset on about doing him over because of his mouth but because I've got on with them they have left him alone. Told him next time there won't be no one to save him. I've got a family at home so I've got to watch what I'm doing but he's the lowest of the low. Things he's done are shocking.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

I might be receiving a sponsorship to go to university for 3 years. It has to be a course in journalism, I just don't know which one to go for. I hope I get the sponsorship, would be very cool to win something (being a Villa fan).

That's what I'm doing :) bit nervous about it all!

You're doing the NCTJ Diploma in Journalism? No need to be nervous, it's not really all that difficult. The only thing I would say is listen to your Teeline shorthand teacher when she tells you to practice because getting 100 wpm is tough and can often be a deciding factor when it comes down to who gets a job.

If you are doing the course, are you doing the standard one or are you taking one or two different modules? In City of Wolvo College we did the standard modules which were Media Law, Public Affairs, News Writing, Court Reporting, Production Journalism, Portfolio and Shorthand, but some places switch out a module or two. I think there's a magazine module that I was tempted to do but I would have had to have done it as an additional and not an instead of so I didn't bother.

Edited by Ginko

Should have a villatalk meet up in one of the pubs for the last home game against hull. Then again.

Yes but we should ban all conversation on Villa.  If on topic came to life I dread to think of the carnage!

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â