General Chat

AVFCLaura

Aoibhin

I think that's one of the best in the 'Not pronounced how you think it would be from how it's spelt' category.

I remember when I was younger when Mammy started teaching me Irish having a hard time with names. Not Mammy's name, I know that one....it's Mammy.

Now I learn from Youtube -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5vDbBdGZiM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nxu1CssWLk

^^^ his name is Owen but I bet it's spelt Eoin

Vanessa Mae set to compete at Winter Olympics

Violinist Vanessa Mae is set to ski for Thailand at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics, which start next month.

Mae, a keen skier since childhood, has been competing as Vanessa Vanakorn using her father's surname.

“I'm British but realistically there is no way I could represent my own country, but because my natural father is Thai, they have accepted me”

She raced four times in Slovenia at the weekend in a last-ditch bid to meet the qualifying standard.

Manager Giles Holland, speaking on behalf of Mae, told the BBC: "It would appear that she's done it. She's done it by a whisker, but she's done it."

...more on link

• Like 1

I knew a guy called Eoin in school, but it was pronounced 'yo-in', not 'oh-win'.

I don't know for certain but I always thought Eoin was pronounced O-in.

There may very well be other pronunciations as there usually is a few different ones.

I have a work colleague called Fred, I call him Fred.

Liar! You haven't got a job, you just sit on here posting all day long. And half of those are 'edit'.

...yeah, I know your game. I've got my eye on you :mellow:

• Like 3

I knew a guy called Eoin in school, but it was pronounced 'yo-in', not 'oh-win'.

I don't know for certain but I always thought Eoin was pronounced O-in.

See, I thought it was pronounced "Ian".  :blush:

Friend from Orkney, Padraig (Porrick).

Someone told me Eoin and John are the same name in different dialects.

Look at the various European languages - Ian, Jan, John, Jean, Iohannes, Johann, Ivan... all the same name. 

• Like 2

Friend from Orkney, Padraig (Porrick).

Someone told me Eoin and John are the same name in different dialects.

Look at the various European languages - Ian, Jan, John, Jean, Iohannes, Johann, Ivan... all the same name. 

Seán too moon man. ;)

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â