General Chat

AVFCLaura

My other answer, if I was being pedantic about how the question was originally phased (i.e. it wasn't explicitly stated that you kept both halves of the plank after cutting), would have been "1 piece, 50 cms long".

Exactly. I thought it was really interesting how many assumptions we make in maths problems when trying to put things in a real world context (eg the very reason we use word problems). For example, another question that I found interesting was:

A boat holds 6 people. There are 74 people. How many boats do you need?

This is an attempt to put a division/multiple question in context to show there can't always be a remainder. However, how real is it really? Are all people the same size? Are those 74 people all adults? Disability?

Interested me anyway :-)

1) the bloke sailing the boat reduces the capacity to 5 so you'd need 15 boats/trips to transport 74 people.  

EDIT. Clearly I'm a word removed.

1 boat

maximise the profit

1 boat, get them half way across the Med

get another boat

repeat

Thats wonderful.

You bastard

Exactly. I thought it was really interesting how many assumptions we make in maths problems when trying to put things in a real world context (eg the very reason we use word problems). For example, another question that I found interesting was:

One. Just make sure it's at least twelve and a third times bigger than the current one you have.

As a man who managed 30 lectures if even in four years of college, I went down the pass exams route, and can honestly say I knew next to nothing about accounting when I graduated with an accounting degree. I'd much prefer lateral thinking but that was not what I needed. If your going to have exams where there is a defined answer and your either right or wrong people are always going to learn this way.

One. Just make sure it's at least twelve and a third times bigger than the current one you have.

Reminded me of Jaws which reminded me of this:

As a man who managed 30 lectures if even in four years of college, I went down the pass exams route, and can honestly say I knew next to nothing about accounting when I graduated with an accounting degree. I'd much prefer lateral thinking but that was not what I needed. If your going to have exams where there is a defined answer and your either right or wrong people are always going to learn this way.

To be fair, accountancy is basically bean counting anyway. 

Just don't start trying to prove Noah's Ark might have been real.

noahs-ark-zoo-farm-sign.png     0909-Veggies.jpg

a great day out to give the kids a balanced view of things

they have a great big model of an Ark and posters on the wall explaining how big it was and how it was done

the whole experience was accentuated for us as we had no idea what it was until we got there and started readig some very, interesting, posters

'twas a long time ago and to be honest, it was the posters that distracted me, I was keen to point out to my missus the one that reminded families that the man is the head of the family and it's the woman's job to serve him obediently

from memory, the animals had stacks of space and could wander off out of view, which made it a 'better' zoo than the cramped Bristol Zoo we'd previously been to

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â