General Chat

AVFCLaura

Had a bit of a fall out with the inlaws at Christmas over Lambrusco.

It was down to me to cook the Christmas dinner, and I went all out, roasted chest nuts with the sprouts, the lot.

The only thing my mother in law had to do was bring the wine, and she opts for a novelty sized bottle of Lambrusco. I'm no wine-o but this left me a little miffed, it's basically cheap cooking wine topped up with lemonade. I was not impressed, and my face reflected this. Something which led to a reasonable amount of tension during the meal.

I know a bird who absolutely loves white zinfandel rose and lemonade.

I don't see any problem with lads drinking wine (as long as you drink a bottle or two of the stuff, or if you have a glass with your dinner) I often get a couple of bottles of white wine in, I find that a couple of bottles of wine relaxes me more than a load of lager.

Give me a dark room a bottle of wine and music and I am happy

Give me a dark room 12 cans and music and I am jumping up and down on my own like a **** lunatic

• Like 1

The wife's doing that 5:2 fasting diet ATM, so today is one of my 'feed yourself' days.

Fillet steak, bread, cheese and a bottle of red (probably a Bordeaux or a Rioja) it is.

• Like 2

The only thing my mother in law had to do was bring the wine, and she opts for a novelty sized bottle of Lambrusco.

If the wine decision was left to someone who thinks Lambrusco is an acceptable wine, then I'm afraid I'd have to blame the people who gave her that responsbility in the first place and not her :) It's not her fault she's not a wino connoisseur.

I hear the 2 slimming days are pretty brutal? Poached egg on thin air kind of stuff?

The theory is 500 calories. She doesn't stick to it rigidly, but tends to have (say) a low fat yoghurt for breakfast, a couple of pieces of fruit for lunch, and something like a salmon salad for tea.

I couldn't do it, but it seems to work for her - slow, but steady weight loss, and she eats what she likes on the other days.

The only thing my mother in law had to do was bring the wine, and she opts for a novelty sized bottle of Lambrusco.

If the wine decision was left to someone who thinks Lambrusco is an acceptable wine, then I'm afraid I'd have to blame the people who gave her that responsbility in the first place and not her :) It's not her fault she's not a wino connoisseur capable of showing a modicum of taste.

Fixed.

I know what you're saying, but having paid for all the food, I felt I had to claw something back from the rest of the family in financial terms. My decision was vindicated to the tune of £2.99.

• Like 1

she eats what she likes on the other days.

Yet I bet she doesn't. I bet she still watches what she eats on those days too simply by virtue of being on a diet, and that is the secret to all diets. People on them tend to watch what they eat even when given the 'freedom' to do otherwise.

I watched a documentary that analysed many people on many different diets and why they all by and large worked to the same degree. The conclusion wasn't based on science or metabolism. It was simple psychology and (calorific) numbers. People on diets try to eat less, no matter what the diet.

she eats what she likes on the other days.

Yet I bet she doesn't. I bet she still watches what she eats on those days too simply by virtue of being on a diet, and that is the secret to all diets. People on them tend to watch what they eat even when given the 'freedom' to do otherwise.

I watched a documentary that analysed many people on many different diets and why they all by and large worked to the same degree. The conclusion wasn't based on science or metabolism. It was simple psychology and (calorific) numbers. People on diets try to eat less, no matter what the diet.

Well, yeah, sort of. She doesn't eat ten pizzas and a McDonalds - but then she wouldn't anyway.

But she eats at least the same as me, if not more - even if that includes alcohol, crisps, cake, chocolate, etc.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â