General Chat

AVFCLaura

had a similar situation with vodafone myself speeds went to pants they said its nothing on their end after updating the routers software so I sent emails every day for a month with a screen grab of speedtest.net ..They sent out an eircom engineer he tested the line and just said eircom is flat broke the uncongested was a load of balls unless its fiber 

I've a feeling they'll tell me something similar, we actually weren't even supposed to get broadband but my dad had to pay eircom to run a line down our road, a road about 2km from Tralee's town centre. I've a feeling we could be waiting centuries for fibre. :(

Question for the resident chefs, professional or otherwise: Do you cook lobster? How? And, if you boil it alive, are you comfortable with it?

I'm just asking out of curiosity after reading this great article by David Foster Wallace.

Yup ...I worked in a place we threw lobsters in to a massive pot alive  to half cook them cut them in half then heaps of garlic butter and finish off under a salamander "grill" 

Another place we placed them in the freezer to put them to "sleep" then done the same, I dont like the other method of a blade through its head then in the pan, I did notice when the first lobster would go in the water the rest knew what was happening they would start jumping around the place.

Question for the resident chefs, professional or otherwise: Do you cook lobster? How? And, if you boil it alive, are you comfortable with it?

I'm just asking out of curiosity after reading this great article by David Foster Wallace.

I jam a knife through their head and then boil them. Boiling a creature alive seems cruel to me. Better to do the deed quickly.

lovin lyf

3018921786.png

Damn you Stefan, anyway found out this morning off my Dad that he rang Vodafone because we were having trouble and they cut the speed to under 1MB to see if it'd make a difference, so that explains why it was down to 0.9 MB/sec hopefully I'll be back to normal this evening.

Any chef will tell you that lobsters have crosshairs conveniently marked on their head to show you where to stab them.

FNM080109WE021_s4x3_lg.jpg

Edited by mjmooney

I jam a knife through their head and then boil them. Boiling a creature alive seems cruel to me. Better to do the deed quickly.

From the article:

But the problem with the knife method is basic biology: Lobsters’ nervous systems operate off not one but several ganglia, a.k.a. nerve bundles, which are sort of wired in series and distributed all along the lobster’s underside, from stem to stern. And disabling only the frontal ganglion does not normally result in quick death or unconsciousness.

I also read that killing the lobster first makes it bitter. Something to do with the stuff released as it goes into a panic. Which for some reason doesn't happen when it is boiled alive.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â