General Chat

AVFCLaura

to be fair id rather have them as celebrity news than the likes of jordan, kerry whats her face etc etc which lets be honest if they had given birth yesterday then that would be headline news too

its the world we live in

I'd rather have a world where people can accept each other's differences - shame that'll never happen.

Depends what you mean by 'accept'.

We don't generally go around slaying people with alternative views to our own. That could be described as some kind of acceptance. If we were all more accepting, then relatively speaking, there would still be actions deemed to be un-accepting. I think, using history as a benchmark, we live in a pretty accepting age.

• Like 1

I'd rather have a world where people can accept each other's differences - shame that'll never happen.

We don't generally go around slaying people with alternative views to our own. That could be described as some kind of acceptance. If we were all more accepting, then relatively speaking, there would still be actions deemed to be un-accepting. I think, using history as a benchmark, we live in a pretty accepting age.

Clearly some do. That's one of the reasons why people seek to blame religion for the world's problems.

Clearly some do. That's one of the reasons why people seek to blame religion for the world's problems.

Lets be honest though, throughout history religion has caused far more problems that its solved.

Todays headlines in case you haven't seen them yet:

GUARDIAN: It's a boy!
TELEGRAPH: It's a boy!
SUN: It's a boy!
STAR: It's a boy!
DAILY MAIL: Has Kate lost the baby weight yet?

The world I could accept:

Royal baby born, media reports its birth as an "...and finally" item. People in the bus queue have a bit of an "Awwww, how nice for them"-type chat, some inevitably more interested than others, and we move on.

I think that's still perhaps a little unrealistic.

In my sensible world, it would still be front page news etc, but without the 24 hour coverage of a posh bloke stood outside a hospital going over the same lines every 2 minutes.

TO be honest, it just reminds me of SSN on transfer deadline day. Lots of flipping back and forth with not much going on, and te forlorn hope that a Range Rover may sweep out of the Palace gates, for 'Arry to lean out of the passsenger window with a quick quote.

Todays headlines in case you haven't seen them yet:

GUARDIAN: It's a boy!
TELEGRAPH: It's a boy!
SUN: It's a boy!
STAR: It's a boy!
DAILY MAIL: Has Kate lost the baby weight yet?

The real front page is pretty ridiculous anyway

Daily_Mail_23_7_2013.jpg

Edited by Stevo985

Speaking of ridiculous newspaper stories, anyone seen this?

Kate Middleton and Prince William's royal baby given miniature Aston Villa kit by Premier League club The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's new arrival has been alive for less than 24 hours, but already it has a miniature football kit to cherish after Aston Villa made up a bespoke home strip for the boy, who they have claimed as a supporter of the club.
villa-kits_2624892b.jpg
On the line: the royal baby's new Aston Villa kit hangs up at Villa Park

11:07AM BST 23 Jul 2013

comments.gif2 Comments

The Duke, president of the Football Association, is a Villa fan and the club marked the birth of his first son by personalising a baby shirt with 'HRH' on the back, and posting the image on Twitter.

In a message posted along with the kit, the club said: "Congratulations to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. Another Villa fan arrives into the world!"

Whether he likes it or not it appears as if this new baby will be a lifelong Villa fan, along with his father, actor Tom Hanks and Prime Minister David Cameron.

If and when he takes to the throne the prince will be faced with regular challenges in life but he will be able to take comfort from the fact that his club will always remain safely ensconced in the bottom half of the Premier League table.

villa_2624861a.jpg

The baby's kit features the squad number '1', but it remains unclear whether this is a nod to this being his first year of life, or in fact a tribute to Villa goalkeepers, past and present.

Shay Given, the incumbent and a loyal servant to the club, is off to Doncaster on loan but Brad Guzan, a fellow hairless Villa devotee, is likely to inherit the No 1 jersey.

It is more likely, however, to be in honour of David James, a polite and well-mannered No 1, who was always generous and accomodating to all he encountered on domestic and overseas duty.

What was that guy drinking when he wrote that last paragraph? Especially the bit about David James?

Edited by Ginko

Yeah yeah I reckon it's a tribute to goalkeepers.

Just a shame there isn't a special kind of shirt to differentiate goalkeepers from the rest of the players.

I assume he's trying to be funny, especially the fact that he's calling Brad Guzan bald, like a baby I guess. It just came across as stupid to me.

Lets be honest though, throughout history religion has caused far more problems that its solved.

If people didn't feel the need to fight with others over their beliefs then there wouldn't really be much of a problem with religion, or any other belief for that matter.

Mantis et al, I've posted a short reply in the religion thread.

As the Moon-Man said, time to move this part of the conversation over to the thread most suitable for it.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â