General Chat

AVFCLaura

It annoys me when someone indicates on the motorway and thinks that means they can pull out regardless.

Lorries obviously being the worst offenders.

It annoys me when someone indicates on the motorway and thinks that means they can pull out regardless.

Lorries obviously being the worst offenders.

On the flip side, people who bomb down the outside lane with their right indicator on. I get it, you're a jumped up word removed, you don't need to showcase it.

Edited by StefanAVFC

He learnt at 54 so he's a stubborn old fool.

Well I hope he's OK after his accident but perhaps it'll teach him a lesson.

He learnt at 54 so he's a stubborn old fool.

Well I hope he's OK after his accident but perhaps it'll teach him a lesson.

I really hope it does. Me and my mum are both terrified to be in a car with him. He's an auto driver too ;)

He's fine, just a bit of cosmetic damage on his car but literally it was the best case scenario for an accident. He hit an old bloke, with an R reg car at 30 MPH. It was on a dual carriageway so could have been faster and could have hit a more valuable car.

How much quicker do you think I'd be able to pass in an automatic?

You get the biting point within a few lessons like it's 2nd nature. Most of driving is roles of the road and stuff like that anyway. It wouldn't even be that quicker.
Changing gears is a chore.

Edit: I'm learning driving right now and the instructors insist i change gears all the **** time :angry:

But that's because you're you're learning. One of my kids once asked me if driving was difficult, and I replied that no, driving is dead easy... but learning to drive is bloody hard. 

When you're learning, you're using your conscious mind to think about all the things you have to, all the time... co-ordinating brain, eyes, hands and feet... looking in the mirror, reading the road, changing gear, etc. But eventually your brain re-programs itself to do all the mechanical things "in background". I rarely, if ever, consciously think about gear changes, my left hand and foot just do it for me at the appropriate moments. 

Once you've got to that stage (and it's just endless repetition that does it), yes, driving does become enjoyable. 

• Like 1

Exactly so, Stevo. I remember the first time I ever drove on my own it felt really weird, because as well as driving the car, I had to work out where I was going, rather than just obeying the instructor's "Take the next left", etc. ! 

You learn to drive once you've passed your test.

Oh yes, some of the stuff taught don't make sense out in the real world imho.

I don't think it's that so much, as putting the hours in on your own to get comfortable with driving, and honing your judgement skills. 

How much quicker do you think I'd be able to pass in an automatic?

You get the biting point within a few lessons like it's 2nd nature. Most of driving is roles of the road and stuff like that anyway. It wouldn't even be that quicker.
Changing gears is a chore.

Edit: I'm learning driving right now and the instructors insist i change gears all the **** time :angry:

But that's because you're you're learning. One of my kids once asked me if driving was difficult, and I replied that no, driving is dead easy... but learning to drive is bloody hard. 

When you're learning, you're using your conscious mind to think about all the things you have to, all the time... co-ordinating brain, eyes, hands and feet... looking in the mirror, reading the road, changing gear, etc. But eventually your brain re-programs itself to do all the mechanical things "in background". I rarely, if ever, consciously think about gear changes, my left hand and foot just do it for me at the appropriate moments. 

Once you've got to that stage (and it's just endless repetition that does it), yes, driving does become enjoyable. 

Still, I'd say that because it takes time for learners to become fully accustomed to changing gear, learning how to drive manual takes up more time than learning auto.

Still, I'd say that because it takes time for learners to become fully accustomed to changing gear, learning how to drive manual takes up more time than learning auto.

Possibly true. But still well worth it, IMO. 

Exactly so, Stevo. I remember the first time I ever drove on my own it felt really weird, because as well as driving the car, I had to work out where I was going, rather than just obeying the instructor's "Take the next left", etc. ! 

That reminds me. There's a guy on my college course who lives in Swadlincote, the other side of Burton to me, and we both have to drive a fair way to college which is in Wolverhampton.

He's 21 and the most nervous guy I've met. It's past the point of being quite funny and is actually pretty sad and somewhat annoying (though I can be quite impatient with people sometimes). He can drive and has a decent car but for the first few months of college he took the train because he was scared of driving on main roads. You don't even need to get on the motorway to get to Wolverhampton from our area, though there are a few places with large amounts of traffic, but there generally are wherever you go on a weekday morning.

Anyway, so he finally got the courage to start driving to college, but he uses a sat-nav all the time and follows it to the letter. He wouldn't dare risk leaving home without the damn thing, despite having driven the same route for four months now. I've never been in the car with him but I can imagine him being this quivering nervous wreck. I've seen him physically shaking with nerves when we've had exams. The bit about learning to drive and following instructions from the instructor reminded me of this guy, because he essentially just listens to the sat nav. I personally quite enjoy getting a bit lost and having to rely on my sense of direction to get somewhere. I've never been that lost that I've spent far too much time and petrol finding my way. Sat-navs are great for driving economically of course, but I find that sort of driving very unsatisfying.

Nice lad, but Jesus wept, get a grip man.

Edited by Ginko

I work with a woman who selects her route to and from work so that she doesn't have to take any right turns. If she goes shopping - even for large items - into "big cities" (like Dewsbury), she goes on the bus, as it's too scary to drive. 

She's been driving for about forty years. 

Weird isn't it?

The only time I get remotely nervous driving is if I'm driving in a big city for the first time.

Drove in London for the first time last year and it was a bit daunting.

Apart from that it's a doddle.

I got nervous driving in Murcia as it's obviously driving on the other side of the road and is a relatively major city with a novel way of getting all roads to lead to the one point, and then all cross each other together (certainly seemed like it). I was like yer one out of the Exorcist with the spinning head making sure I stayed out of the way :)

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â