General Chat

AVFCLaura

I thought we used to have a history thread? I couldn't find it... Anyway, I've been looking through my Dutch grandfather's thing and I have here his diary of the last few days of the war. I do have a typed out version which is great as I cannot read his handwriting! Just needs translating.

WP_20130518_003.jpg

Also, this magazine type of publication that was given to the German soldiers at Christmas in 1943

WP_20130518_001.jpg

WP_20130518_002.jpg

Also needs translating.

I thought there might be some here interested after the topic of World War 2 was brought up in another thread.

My maternal grandparents got married during the war, while Singapore was occupied by the Japanese. Their marriage certificate still hangs in my grandma's room.

Might take a photo of it and post it somewhere here sometime soon, if I feel like it :)

Good stuff Ajax, and seconded on the Legov pics. 

Not my blood relatives, but I have some good colour pics of my father-in-law's bomber crew - they were featured in a magazine during WWII. 

My grandparents' marriage certificate. According to the little footnote at the bottom, they were wedded in 1944. Not sure if this certificate was ever legally recognised by either the Japanese or the British government though, given that it is in Chinese - I might have to ask a few more questions.

Page-widening, so beware before clicking!

20130519190052.jpg

20130519190113.jpg

Edited by legov
  • Like 4

Well I've just done a thirteen hour shift that involved doing a weeks shopping for 10 people in asda that took two hours and then cooking an evening meal for said 10 patients which took ages as well. All while the sun was out. When I wanted to be in the pub instead.

I enter the hospitals tomorrow for my first ever rotation as a medical student. It's a gynae rotation in a North (Rough) Dublin hospital. I'm expecting the worst. Blue waffles galore etc

$600m Powerball jackpot tonight. Surely enough to buy Randy out.

Maybe this is for the trivia thread, but in 1992 the Virginia state lottery had rolled over to $27m and some bloke in Australia realised that there were only 7m possible combinations of numbers.   He formed a consortium to buy all the possible combinations and guarantee victory.  They won. 

• Like 1

I'm expecting the worst. Blue waffles galore etc

Just a word to the wise for people who don't know:   DO NOT DO A GOOGLE IMAGE SEARCH FOR BLUE WAFFLE. 

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â