General Chat

AVFCLaura

You're not pulling away at a junction all the time. And anyway after years of driving, the biting point becomes 2nd nature so pulling away (I stay in 1st and keep the clutch down so I don't need to change gear) and retaining control is a piece of piss.

We're over-analysing :) The general point is that autos give you a completely* free hand (and foot).

*ish

On an aside, since passing your test does anyone actually use their mirrors anymore? I mean I use my rear view when chugging along an my side mirrors when overtaking or pulling out, but in my test I had to use them so much and I just don't anymore.

You're not pulling away at a junction all the time. And anyway after years of driving, the biting point becomes 2nd nature so pulling away (I stay in 1st and keep the clutch down so I don't need to change gear) and retaining control is a piece of piss.

We're over-analysing :) The general point is that autos give you a completely* free hand (and foot).

*ish

If this were the Daily Mail, the headline would be

FIGURES PROVE THAT MANUAL DRIVERS ARE MORE ANALYTICAL WHEREAS AUTOMATIC DRIVERS ONLY CARE ABOUT COFFEE (and the immigrants, don't forget the immigrants)

• Like 1

On an aside, since passing your test does anyone actually use their mirrors anymore? I mean I use my rear view when chugging along an my side mirrors when overtaking or pulling out, but in my test I had to use them so much and I just don't anymore.

Umm. Seriously? You use your mirrors more afterwards because you actually know what they're for. You exaggerate for your test to show the instructor that you're doing it. But yes, I use them all the time. I've a very good picture of what's going on all around me. If you don't have that then you're oblivious to the road and have many blind spots and should probably put the coffee down. It could be that everything's 'a piece of piss' because you're not actually doing it right :)

Coasting and riding the clutch and driving across junctions in first are all fine driving attributes, but come and join me on the M25 run and we'll see how long your car lasts.

I guess it's just down to personal pref, your regular driving routes etc. and personally I'll be getting a nice old man's auto next time I'm buying.

pah, scrap most of that, for some reason I thought we were in Pissed Off, and thought we were hogging a non related thread

Edited by chrisp65

That's not meant as a posers answer, though I appreciate it might read that way. It's just to say the auto vs manual arguement is largely bogus. My auto drives just fine, and I get to drink coffee at junctions.

I can drive coffee at junctions too. Why wouldn't I be able to?

*drink coffee, even.

Can you always post letting everyone know when youre about to go on the road in your car.

Thanks,

Obviously I use them when it's important. And I'm not blowing my own horn (although I wish I could) but I am a good driver. Never even come close to having an accident.

I mean using them when it's completely redundant. Like in my test, when turning left you have to have your left hand mirror. But it's not really necessary. I'll check my rear view shit loads, but my side mirrors are mainly for overtaking, parking and hanging lanes.

Don't worry, take that image of me blindly changing lanes on the M6 out of your head.

Umm. Seriously? You use your mirrors more afterwards because you actually know what they're for. You exaggerate for your test to show the instructor that you're doing it. But yes, I use them all the time. I've a very good picture of what's going on all around me. If you don't have that then you're oblivious to the road and have many blind spots and should probably put the coffee down. It could be that everything's 'a piece of piss' because you're not actually doing it right :)

I've probably just exaggerated what my point was. I do have a good picture of the road and the coffee thing was born out of complete comfort and just being used to driving.

Nah it's 2nd nature to me to be using them all regularly just to keep the picture updated. To me 'it's important' once my car is moving. And I don't like coffee :D

I've probably just exaggerated what my point was. I do have a good picture of the road and the coffee thing was born out of complete comfort and just being used to driving.

I'm currently rocking a strange liking for Costa skinny decaf cappucino. I know I know, its wrong on about 4 points of detail.

I'm currently rocking a strange liking for Costa skinny decaf cappucino. I know I know, its wrong on about 4 points of detail.

Do your parents know? It's probably just a phase. It's a phase right?

Nah it's 2nd nature to me to be using them all regularly just to keep the picture updated. To me 'it's important' once my car is moving. And I don't like coffee :D

My complete picture when driving along is from my rear view. I mostly drive along countryside roads though so my manual is beautiful for that.

And I'm a stickler for a vanilla latte although when I was in the states, a Taaza lemonade tea with raspberry syrup was my drink of choice  :ph34r:

note to all auto drivers:

when you nip out in your wife's manual, when you get back, you can't just park and get out. They have hand brakes and they are needed. Another plus for auto's and another bollocking for me for just getting out and walking away leaving it in neutral and without brake applied. Oops.

In round numbers, I have 2,000 Costa Coffee points

I used never to put it in gear. Just use the handbrake. Then a few times I came out and my car wasn't where I'd left it. Once that cost me a few quid *cough* so now it gets put in gear :)

I hardly ever use my left wing mirror to be honest. Only time really is when I'd be turning left at a junction when I've been in a queue for a while to check for a cyclist.

But use the right wing and especially the rear view all the time.

Like BOF said, I like to have a picture of what's behind me all the time, and I just do it subconciously.

I hardly ever use my left wing mirror to be honest. Only time really is when I'd be turning left at a junction when I've been in a queue for a while to check for a cyclist.

But use the right wing and especially the rear view all the time.

Like BOF said, I like to have a picture of what's behind me all the time, and I just do it subconciously.

Yeah I rarely use my left. Only when moving lanes. Right and rear yeah, but still mostly rear when actually driving.

I don't even use it for moving lanes to be honest. 

If you're moving into the left lane you should have just overtaken someone so you should know where they are.

I don't even use it for moving lanes to be honest. 

If you're moving into the left lane you should have just overtaken someone so you should know where they are.

Yeah but you need to check how far in front you are so you're not smashing into them. My dad's accident yesterday came from him not checking his left mirror and changed lanes straight into someone. Maybe they've sped up, or you've slowed down. It's safer to check.

People who feel they need to come back in after an overtake at the earliest opportunity. Ffffffuuuuuuu. Your Dad's a bad driver Stefan.

People who feel they need to come back in after an overtake at the earliest opportunity. Ffffffuuuuuuu. Your Dad's a bad driver Stefan.

I tell him every time I'm in the car with him. I hate getting a lift from him. He learnt at 54 so he's a stubborn old fool.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â