General Chat

AVFCLaura

If we had a class system it would appear as though I'd be in the same as the 2 posh knobs above :)

Same here.

It asks nothing of my societal values, only how much money I earn, thart I have an acquaintance who's an 'artist' and that I've been to the opera.

Fluff.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

I managed to bag a spot among the "Techincal Middle Classes".

I can't really agree with that, upper working class at best.

Edit: I can't even spell technical look.

Edited by Shillzz

I am an 'Emergent Service Worker' according to the BBC's new class system survey. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22000973

Result: the class group you most closely match is:
Established middle class

This is the most gregarious and the second wealthiest of all the class groups. According to the Great British Class Survey results, lots of people in this group:

• Enjoy a diverse range of cultural activities
  • Went to university
  • Are comfortably off, secure and established

Seems I'm with the Moon Man.

That 3 minute 'survey' is far too lighweight to get proper insight from though.

I think you'd need to be answering in far more depth to get really accurate readings.

I am an 'Emergent Service Worker' according to the BBC's new class system survey. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22000973

Result: the class group you most closely match is:
Established middle class

This is the most gregarious and the second wealthiest of all the class groups. According to the Great British Class Survey results, lots of people in this group:

• Enjoy a diverse range of cultural activities
  • Went to university
  • Are comfortably off, secure and established

Seems I'm with the Moon Man.

That 3 minute 'survey' is far too lighweight to get proper insight from though.

I think you'd need to be answering in far more depth to get really accurate readings.

I agree.

My fortuitous rise up the property ladder, coupled with a reasonably decent job has landed me among the middle classes. But on a day to day basis I barely have enough money to procure the steam from a tramp's puddle of piss. Middle class, I am not.

If "middle class" means "Graduate, homeowner, into cultural stuff", then I'm middle class.

If it means "Owns shares, member of golf club, likes rugby union, votes Tory", then I'm not.

If "working class" means "Grew up on council estate, likes beer and football, votes Labour", then I'm working class.

If it means "Eats McDonalds and KFC, wears sportswear, watches reality TV and soaps", then I'm not.

I think I AM a distinct class though - something like: "Born in the 1950s, welfare state, grammar school educated, ex-working class, upwardly mobile, left-leaning". That may sound absurdly specific, but it describes a great many of my friends (and my wife) very accurately.

Or it may be as simple as:

"Breakfast-dinner-tea", OR "Breakfast-lunch-dinner".

If "middle class" means "Graduate, homeowner, into cultural stuff", then I'm middle class.

If it means "Owns shares, member of golf club, likes rugby union, votes Tory", then I'm not.

If "working class" means "Grew up on council estate, likes beer and football, votes Labour", then I'm working class.

If it means "Eats McDonalds and KFC, wears sportswear, watches reality TV and soaps", then I'm not.

I think I AM a distinct class though - something like: "Born in the 1950s, welfare state, grammar school educated, ex-working class, upwardly mobile, left-leaning". That may sound absurdly specific, but it describes a great many of my friends (and my wife) very accurately.

Or it may be as simple as:

"Breakfast-dinner-tea", OR "Breakfast-lunch-dinner".

yep, very similar

did the test (it's way too basic natch), came out as established middle class

I would describe myself as very working class background, currently confused due to a long period of easy credit now being corrected

A question from a close-by foreigner who has been confused by this for years if I may.

If Margaret Thatcher is so hated and so regularly lambasted as being the devil-queen by the British, how the hell did she stay in power from 1979 until 1990, winning 2 re-elections after her initial election win and only stepping down while the Tories were still in power?

You couple of posh words removed, **** off back to your caviar and champagne lunches.

Do not address me directly, peasant.  Now go and fetch my formal trousers.

• Like 1

A question from a close-by foreigner who has been confused by this for years if I may.

If Margaret Thatcher is so hated and so regularly lambasted as being the devil-queen by the British, how the hell did she stay in power from 1979 until 1990, winning 2 re-elections after her initial election win and only stepping down while the Tories were still in power?

you really want to do this in General Chat?

people will monologue at you all day, the only true answer is this:

she tapped into the fact that you don't need 51% support, you need more support than the others, then she got lucky with a 'war' against idiots that she helped provoke

and she has no soul so was able to work 20 hour days

I'm tagging it on the end of the 'class system' chat because I suspected it was a middle versus working class answer. You're right Chris that I don't want some in-depth answer because I suspect the answer is probably a fairly simple one. It had just eluded me for years, not that I went to great lengths looking.

I'm tagging it on the end of the 'class system' chat because I suspected it was a middle versus working class answer. You're right Chris that I don't want some in-depth answer because I suspect the answer is probably a fairly simple one. It had just eluded me for years, not that I went to great lengths looking.

Sadly, the anser to your question would be very long, perhaps quite boring, and very detailed.

A multitude of reasons gave rise to Thatcher and her 'ism'. A multitude of factors enable her to experience longevity. She was ousted by her own party in the end, due to her increasing madness, and voter alienation.

So many factors at play. The main 2 were perhaps our shite FPTP voting 'system' and the lack of a credible, viable alternative on the left.

If you own your house and have money and may have met someone in the arts you're pretty much nailed on to be Established Middle Class according to that survey.

Using Moonman's class definition by meal names.... I use "dinner" and "tea" interchangably for the final meal of the day. Although lunch is always in the middle? So I have no idea which arrangement is "working" class or not?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â