General Chat

AVFCLaura

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Targeted ads on Youtube... I am now getting ads for vaginal discharge pads. I'm sure i've not been watching any videos like that! Its mainly old Villa games, or car videos! 

PMSL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, bickster said:

PMSL

My wife used to work for them. 

Eventually Provident Management Services Limited were persuaded that it would be a good idea to change their name. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

My wife used to work for them. 

Eventually Provident Management Services Limited were persuaded that it would be a good idea to change their name. 

I remember them in the 80s. Used to come round our house every week collecting money and putting a little tick in the book. Always wondered what it was for. Then when I was 16, realised it was all mine. Mawahhahaha. 😆

Via context I figured it the meaning of “clearing in the woods” pretty early on. No big deal, meaning seems fairly straight-forward. What I am curious about is how it came to be. What’s the etymology?

100% sincere question 

3 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Via context I figured it the meaning of “clearing in the woods” pretty early on. No big deal, meaning seems fairly straight-forward. What I am curious about is how it came to be. What’s the etymology?

100% sincere question 

I believe the answer to that is in the actual clearing in the woods. You have to pony up for that privilege though. 

9 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

100% sincere question 

First recorded in 1650–60; perhaps originally a dialectal variant of thwat, thwot (unattested), presumed Modern English outcome of Old English thwāt, (unattested), akin to Old Norse thveit “cut, slit, forest clearing” (from northern English dialect thwaite “forest clearing”).

Dictionary.com

• Thanks 1

I had my TV perched on a stool like table, for 6 months, but it never looked that secure. I decided to take a spare glass table, I had, and put the TV on that. It suddenly made my TV look much bigger and the volume louder. Now, it's no secret that I'm not the brightest bulb, but can anyone explain why to me.

Edited by sheepyvillian

6 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I had my TV perched on a stool like table, for 6 months, but it never looked that secure. I decided to take a spare glass table, I had, and put the TV on that. It suddenly made my TV look much bigger and the volume louder. Now, it's no secret that I'm not the brightest bulb, but can anyone explain why to me.

Light and sound both reflecting from glass? 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Is that right. Thanks, my man. Appreciate that.

No, that was just a guess. It could be the answer but do not quote me. I feel better about the sound part of my guess than I do the visual 

17 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Is the TV now at a different height and therefore the sound hitting your ears in a different way? That might explain the loudness. Is it closer to a wall behind for example?

1 minute ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

No, that was just a guess. It could be the answer but do not quote me. I feel better about the sound part of my guess than I do the visual 

No need to start reversing. It makes good sense to me. And, I'll be sure to plagiarize your answer should anybody hit me with the same question. 😉

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Is the TV now at a different height and therefore the sound hitting your ears in a different way? That might explain the loudness. Is it closer to a wall behind for example?

Could be that too. Just seemed way bigger and way louder. It's at the bottom of my bed with its back to the windows which are about 5 feet from the windows outside. 

Just now, sheepyvillian said:

Could be that too. Just seemed way bigger and way louder. It's at the bottom of my bed with its back to the windows which are about 5 feet from the windows outside. 

Maybe it’s much closer which would explain the size and sound levels :lol: 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â