General Chat

AVFCLaura

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Oh, maybe I'll re-post this here.

If it's possible to legally buy and own a crossbow then I'd say the answer to your question is yes. it's too easy

Who the **** needs a crossbow?

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If it's possible to legally buy and own a crossbow then I'd say the answer to your question is yes. it's too easy

Its unbelievable that these are not banned

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You can buy them off Amazon with some pretty wicked looking crossbow bolts too 😞

Doesn't seem right.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, sidcow said:

You can buy them off Amazon with some pretty wicked looking crossbow bolts too 😞

Doesn't seem right.

Well if this tragedy brings anything hopefully they get banned

A complete ban is perhaps ott, but considering it's illegal to hunt with them, and they're banned in most archery clubs, it seems reasonable to license them (over a certain power limit?) and to be able to display a genuine need for one for sport

Edited by Davkaus

46 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

A complete ban is perhaps ott, but considering it's illegal to hunt with them, and they're banned in most archery clubs, it seems reasonable to license them (over a certain power limit?) and to be able to display a genuine need for one for sport

But what would you need one for ? If you are not a hunter as you say no one should hve one. Its seriously dangerous

Edited by Demitri_C

I'm sure after a triple murder they'll look at it again. 

Victims are the wife and 2 daughters of a BBC racing commentator apparently 😲

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

But what would you need one for ? If you are not a hunter as you say no one should hve one. Its seriously dangerous

I feel like if you'd read to the end of the sentence you'd have came up with at least one idea why someone would need one. ;) 

These folks, for example

https://ncf-crossbow.co.uk/

We arrange local and national competitions, indoor and outdoor championships, judges training and accreditation, demonstrations and events to encourage and assist the promotion, instruction and teaching of target crossbow shooting.

Our members regularly represent Great Britain in both indoor and outdoor International and World Championship tournaments.

Edited by Davkaus

53 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Do you need a license for this? If not that seems utter madness to me

Nope, they're definitely underregulated, so some sort of licensing or maximum power seems like a sensible step

The last government consulted on this, so with this news, I'd expect Labour to see it through

https://www.gov.uk/government/calls-for-evidence/controls-on-crossbows/controls-on-the-use-of-crossbows-on-public-safety-grounds-accessible

The current statutory controls on crossbows are based on age restrictions, and with additional controls preventing crossbows being used in hunting animals. Such controls on the use of crossbows are in comparison to the controls on the use of firearms, which are subject to a system of licensing, and that are based on checks on the suitability of someone holding a firearm. There are also very serious offences and penalties for having an unlicensed firearm. There is no licensing (or registration) scheme in place for anyone wishing to purchase and own a crossbow. We would therefore be particularly interested in receiving evidence as to whether there should be some form of licensing scheme that would provide controls on the use, ownership and supply of crossbows.

• Thanks 1

That poor family.  I suspect bans/restrictions on crossbows will be very quickly implemented by the government.  Thank God we don't have guns over here and have things like this happening on a regular basis.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

The scumbags been caught. What a horrific story this is. As you can imagine our local area is shaken by this one

Hope the viaduct is ok

Right, I’m hoping the clever, well travelled folk of VillaTalk might be able to help with this.

A few years ago, I was shown this photo of my Nan and Grandad shortly after they’d both passed. I’ve asked family if they know where it was taken, but they don’t recognise it. I’ve spent hours on the interwebs, looking at castles, gatehouses and stately homes, but still no luck. All I know is that it’s definitely in the UK.

Can anybody tell me where this was taken and put me out of my misery?

If it’s somewhere obvious like Warwick Castle, I’m going to kick myself.

8d826edd-46cf-48a5-a9bd-191997ca67d1.thumb.jpeg.d63e25822731145f6fe413acb685cc6c.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Right, I’m hoping the clever, well travelled folk of VillaTalk might be able to help with this.

A few years ago, I was shown this photo of my Nan and Grandad shortly after they’d both passed. I’ve asked family if they know where it was taken, but they don’t recognise it. I’ve spent hours on the interwebs, looking at castles, gatehouses and stately homes, but still no luck. All I know is that it’s definitely in the UK.

Can anybody tell me where this was taken and put me out of my misery?

If it’s somewhere obvious like Warwick Castle, I’m going to kick myself.

8d826edd-46cf-48a5-a9bd-191997ca67d1.thumb.jpeg.d63e25822731145f6fe413acb685cc6c.jpeg

It certainly looks like Warwick castle, and if it isn't it's a castle of the same design. The flag poles look a bit unusual, but they could perhaps have been removed in the meantime. 

Do you watch Geowizard? He does a youtube series where people send him old pictures and he will find their exact location. I'm not telling you this to suggest you send it to him as I can't imagine he'd ever actually do it - he probably has thousands of emails on the subject - but you may get some tips on how to find it yourself. 

I'd google castles of the design you see there - I imagine there's a term for it, but I couldn't tell you what. Lots of small windows with that arch at the top, a larger entrance way with a larger window above it, doesn't appear to be moated, lots of crenellations (so you know it's not somewhere like Caermathen for example).

With enough time spent searching, you will find it. There will only be a finite amount of castles in that good a condition in the UK for a start. You couldn't rule out a more modern stately home I suppose...but it certainly appears to be a 'proper' castle. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, hogso said:

It certainly looks like Warwick castle, and if it isn't it's a castle of the same design. The flag poles look a bit unusual, but they could perhaps have been removed in the meantime. 

Do you watch Geowizard? He does a youtube series where people send him old pictures and he will find their exact location. I'm not telling you this to suggest you send it to him as I can't imagine he'd ever actually do it - he probably has thousands of emails on the subject - but you may get some tips on how to find it yourself. 

I'd google castles of the design you see there - I imagine there's a term for it, but I couldn't tell you what. Lots of small windows with that arch at the top, a larger entrance way with a larger window above it, doesn't appear to be moated, lots of crenellations (so you know it's not somewhere like Caermathen for example).

With enough time spent searching, you will find it. There will only be a finite amount of castles in that good a condition in the UK for a start. You couldn't rule out a more modern stately home I suppose...but it certainly appears to be a 'proper' castle. 

Yeah, I love geowizard! I think that’s what’s made me so obsessed about this picture.

I thought I’d find it pretty easily because as you say, it looks like a proper castle. But I’ve looked through extensive lists of UK castles, maps of all castles in the UK, towers, forts, everything. I realised I’d need to look at several photos of each castle too because this could be a gatehouse separate from the main castle, or not the main entrance etc.

I even tried a reverse google image search (which geowizard would consider cheating) but that didn’t help because it just kept bringing up photos of the hitler youth at training camps :blink:

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â