General Chat

AVFCLaura

VT's own tomzep flies to Korea today.

My brother flew to S Korea yesterday. He is spending a year there teaching English.

That's what I do and what Tom is doing.

Your bro will love it. Any idea whereabouts in Korea he has moved to?

Possibly interesting, if a bit old, news story

South Korea currently employs more than 30,000 imported English teachers. Now that nation of rabid English-language learners is looking to replace all those expensive meat teachers with squat robots manned from afar by Filipino teachers with fake Caucasian faces:

The bots, named EngKey, can be used as telepresence platforms to bring experienced educators from the Phillipines into the classroom via a small screen at the head of the robot. The Filipino teachers communicate using embedded microphones and speakers. These bots were developed by the Korean Institute of Science and Technology (KIST) and are part of a larger scale automation of English education.

The robots currently cost around 10 million won ($8,700), are one meter tall, and look weirdly like Homestar Runner—from whom it would be a terrible idea to learn English. A pilot involving 29 robots is currently underway, but South Korea is hoping to have a robot in every kindergarten classroom by 2013.

I went to the doctors yesterday and got a sicknote for two weeks!

Woooooooo!

I told him that it hurts when I work, but the main reason is that one-handed-work is boring and I don't like buses.

Seeing as the General's thread has basically become obsolete with no one going in there anymore; does anyone think we could resurrect the 'Lovely Ladies thread' in there without the MODS noticing?

Just an idea.

Seeing as the General's thread has basically become obsolete with no one going in there anymore; does anyone think we could resurrect the 'Lovely Ladies thread' in there without the MODS noticing?

how about combining the two threads, and having a "Lovely Generals" thread??

i'm going to start with this lovely entry:

general-william-tecumseh-sherman.jpg

Just an idea.

I googled-imaged "female generals" and Halle Berry popped up. Fine with me!

halleberry13.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I was in a street performance on grafton st yesterday. Watching a guy starting his juggling act. A Brazilian chap. All of a sudden he brought me into the act. I had to throw him knives and a lit torch. Then he made me copy him as he attacked the air with his knife roaring and juggled it. I roared at the top of my voice and then dropped the knife. Picked it up again and threw it into the air, it spinning and then grabbed it by the handle. The crowd gasped. And then applauded. The genuine surprise on the faces of the crowd was brilliant. I also had a go at climbing his ladder, making him sprint across the stage area to stop me from falling over, but I had it under control. I'd had a pint. Very strange.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â