General Chat

AVFCLaura

My mate somehow found himself with tickets for it one year, 2007 I believe, so I ended up attending at the NEC.

Joe Calzaghe won, but my main memory is the standing ovation Bobby Robson received for his lifetime achievement award. In reality it was about a minute or so long, but at the time in the audience it felt like it was at least 5 minutes.

Then going out drinking in broad street on a Sunday night. Ah to be 24 again.

On 15/12/2023 at 22:55, Xela said:

Question of Sport being shelved. Along with Top Gear recently. Paddy McGuinness has the touch of the grim reaper! 

I used to love QoS, and I watched if for far longer than a lot of people.

But the series with Paddy were absolutely **** terrible.

To be fair to him, it wasnt' really his fault. He was ok as the host. They just had captains and guests with absolutely no chemistry whatsoever.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

To be fair to him, it wasnt' really his fault. He was ok as the host. They just had captains and guests with absolutely no chemistry whatsoever.

Coincidentally that sounds a bit like Top Gear with its painfully forced bantz between the hosts who really had no chemistry either.

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It was Phil Tuffnell and Matt Dawson were the end for me, I liked it a lot up to then, Matt Dawson in particular was a real chore to watch. Also getting rid of What happens next in favour of pissing about in the studio was a problem. I watched a few under Paddy McGuinness but the damage was pretty much done for me when he took over.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

It was Phil Tuffnell and Matt Dawson were the end for me, I liked it a lot up to then, Matt Dawson in particular was a real chore to watch. Also getting rid of What happens next in favour of pissing about in the studio was a problem. I watched a few under Paddy McGuinness but the damage was pretty much done for me when he took over.

At least Tuffnell and Dawson had chemistry (and Barker). It still felt like a fun show even if they weren't your cup of tea.

That had completely disappeared with the new lineup.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I always used to support Ian Botham’s team as I didn’t really know who Bill Beaumont was.

I would occasionally have to swap allegiance as whenever Dean Saunders was a guest he would typically be on Bill’s team.

I used to support Botham's team because as a kid I always liked men with moustaches 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I used to support Botham's team because as a kid I always liked men with moustaches 🤷‍♂️

Yeah,  I had a similar childhood view of moustaches. Not quite sure what that was about. I suppose they were more ubiquitous back then, maybe it was a “when I grow up…” aspirational thing.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â