General Chat

AVFCLaura

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

Going back to Spoonys, I know a lot of the VT massive don't like them, but they are real good value for money. Scrambled egg on toast (there was loads of egg) and unlimited coffees, for a fiver. 

Sad thing was, it was full of old(ish) blokes on their own. Perhaps widowers, or bachelors. All sitting on their own tables, not speaking to one another. 

They are probably dead as their feet have been stuck to the carpet for months

• Haha 1

Just now, mjmooney said:

No, no, I must not go into 'Four Yorkshiremen' mode. 

Oh, go on then...  

Eight pints for a quid when I started drinking. 

When I was 18 £1 a pint was fairly common as a promo. Don’t think I ever saw it less than that.

I do remember once on holiday in Spain somewhere there was a market square with bars on it and they were having some kind of price war.

One place was €1, then the next was €0.8, then the next was €0.5. Practically giving it away. I even think one place was selling beer for €0.2

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

When I was 18 £1 a pint was fairly common as a promo. Don’t think I ever saw it less than that.

I do remember once on holiday in Spain somewhere there was a market square with bars on it and they were having some kind of price war.

One place was €1, then the next was €0.8, then the next was €0.5. Practically giving it away. I even think one place was selling beer for €0.2

I remember when I was 18-21, if a pint or a drink was £3 I considered it very expensive. £1.50-£2 was pretty standard for student nights.

The vending machine in Snobs used to give bottles of carling for a quid. They were rank. But they were a quid

• Like 3

To elaborate, this would have been at the turn of the seventies. Pint of mild in a public bar, 2/6d (12.5 p). Obviously if you were drinking bitter or lager in the lounge it could have been as much as three bob (15p). 

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

To elaborate, this would have been at the turn of the seventies. Pint of mild in a public bar, 2/6d (12.5 p). Obviously if you were drinking bitter or lager in the lounge it could have been as much as three bob (15p). 

I started drinking in the mid 80s and mild, as was my drink of choice, remained resolutely under a pound for the rest of the 80s and depending where I was in the UK, into the early 90s.

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I remember when I was 18-21, if a pint or a drink was £3 I considered it very expensive. £1.50-£2 was pretty standard for student nights.

The vending machine in Snobs used to give bottles of carling for a quid. They were rank. But they were a quid

When i was 20 ish, it used to be 50p for a bottle of Carsberg in Xenon club Tamworth Saturday nights, around £3 every other bottle. By about 1200 you didn't even have to buy it, full bottles everywhere, from people buying about 5+ at a time and not even drinking it as it was so cheap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5th Ave in Manchester on a Monday used to be £3 in with a free bottle of Carling and VK.  Buying further bottles of each would set you back 50p a pop.

On Tuesday's the Academy had a night on called Club Tropicana.  £1 for all doubles and mixers, it was absolute carnage.  Think they decided to shut the night down after a while.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Carlsberg wasn't it?  And yeah, pretty shit - but £1 for a bottle from a vending machine :D

(Was also 50p a shot in there).

Ahhhhh Snobs.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Carlsberg wasn't it?  And yeah, pretty shit - but £1 for a bottle from a vending machine :D

(Was also 50p a shot in there).

Ahhhhh Snobs.

It was definitely Carling at one point. May have moved to Carlsberg after.

And yeah 50p a shot. I used to get a quintuple vodka and coke in there. 5 shots in a pint glass topped up with coke.

£3 it cost :D 50p for each shot and another 50 for the coke.

On a side note I hear Snobs is moving again, this time to Broad Street. The final humiliation

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Liberty's in Brum did a £20 entrance drinks were free, apart from the posh ones.

BCM in Magaluf. 15Euro entrance, and you got a goody bag and free drinks all night. And by all night I mean about 8pm to 6am. Goody bag often had things like water park tickets and/or T shirts in.

Absolutely no idea how they made any money. Although I did see the bar staff using the bottles of vodka to clean the bar, so maybe the booze really was that cheap

• Haha 1

When me and some mates went to Tenerife we’d get a pint of vodka red bull in one place on the walk down to the strip.

Pint glass, then some ice, then a can of red bull, then filled to the top with vodka. I can’t remember how much it cost but not a lot.

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Liberty's in Brum did a £20 entrance drinks were free, apart from the posh ones.

The nights started well, with everyone well behaved. By closing time, it looked an earthquake had hit the premises! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

BCM in Magaluf. 15Euro entrance, and you got a goody bag and free drinks all night. And by all night I mean about 8pm to 6am. Goody bag often had things like water park tickets and/or T shirts in.

Absolutely no idea how they made any money. Although I did see the bar staff using the bottles of vodka to clean the bar, so maybe the booze really was that cheap

I still got the T-Shirt "BCM Planet dance". 

Used to pay your entrance, go through the thick curtains, an boom!. End of the night shampoo in the fountain outside. 😂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

The nights started well, with everyone well behaved. By closing time, it looked an earthquake had hit the premises! 

Yeah, used to be known as quite posh, I saw a few footballers in there, but after the cheap nights, all went down hill, then closed down.

6 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Every real man should be able to build his own bespoke kallax equivalent to perfectly fit the stereo corner.

I did this, made from the finest scratch. 

IMG20231120170945.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Yeah, used to be known as quite posh, I saw a few footballers in there, but after the cheap nights, all went down hill, then closed down.

Problem with Libertys was getting a taxi home afterwards. Was a bit out of town and could be a nightmare. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

5th Ave in Manchester on a Monday used to be £3 in with a free bottle of Carling and VK.  Buying further bottles of each would set you back 50p a pop.

On Tuesday's the Academy had a night on called Club Tropicana.  £1 for all doubles and mixers, it was absolute carnage.  Think they decided to shut the night down after a while.

Satan's Hollow on Tuesday nights used to be £3 entry and open bar between 10 and 11pm. You'd queue a little, get a double vodbull, join the back of the queue while drinking it quickly, get to the bar again and repeat for an hour.

Once I went out with just a fiver to get the bus there and back, pay the entry and get more than adequately drunk at the free bar, and even buy some food on the way home. And bearing in mind this was some time between 2007 and 2010, it was pretty impressive.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Genie said:

The 5th in Walsall used to do 50p a pint night every Wednesday. Most of them ended with me being carried out legless at 2:30 am. God knows how are used to get up for 8 o’clock to go to work

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â